• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hobbytown Ankeny 2nd Annual Show, 11 November 2019

Rhino

Super Moderator
Dave Bos and his Hobbytown Ankeny crew put on their second annual Model Show last Saturday.
It was a cute, fun lil' Show, with 21 entrants bringing 63 models to present.
Hobbytown's show is interesting because one of Dave's categories is R/C Body, judging the finish only. In addition The Gundam Builders of Iowa bring their scale model battlesuits in abundance.

I will admit Gundam suits aren't really my "Thing". I am a seasoned enough modeler to appreciate the techniques, enthusiasm and precision that go into any Model, without regard for genre. 4 Plastic Surgeons members aided the Hobbytown Folk in executing their contest. Of note also, this was the trial run for software Region 5's Jim Coatney gave us to electronically streamline awards and create a Power-point presentation with pictures of the awarded models linked to a flat-screen TV in the hobby shop. My hat is off to our Aimee Wright and Teresa Brewer for making this process go so well!!

How about some pictures?

he1c869f.JPG

h0f392e2.JPG

Dave Merrill, and one of his Warhammer figures. Affable Dave is a third generation USMC vet, and a good dood! He makes Gundams too! My hat is off to young Mr. Merrill and his family, for their tradition of service to our great Nation! :eek:ldguy :salute

h9a70008.JPG

Aircraft entries.

hc14967d.JPG

Armor entries.

h7a083f9.JPG

Automotive entries.

he7ee4e0.JPG

Science fiction entry.

he3cc1ea.JPG

hc3c9959.JPG

Diorama entries.

h87271a7.JPG

h79ba8dd.JPG

hfdf5cd8.JPG

he8e2399.JPG

hce22c77.JPG

h72f6dd9.JPG

Zac Fry's modified figure from a video game. A Plumb-dam? Zac's trade mark is the weathering and battle damage he inflicts on his Gundam models. They ARE Battlesuits, Right?!?

hbaa5786.JPG

I'm not sure what this Guy had for lunch, but you don't want to cross him to closely astern!!

h533dffe.JPG

I understand these gold accents come in decal form. Omar's first airbrush paint-job was white pearl. I wish for a better picture of this model!

h6b0e048.JPG

h81e1958.JPG

Figure entries.

h69b80fb.JPG

habac0c5.JPG

Miscellaneous entry. It's an anime' model called "Redtail".

hc3c9959_2019-11-10.JPG

Notice these 1/24 scale Sprint slot cars. They are soldered brass tube and resin cast hoods. The wings and spoilers are held on with velcro so they can be worked on between races. Their workmanship is apparent!

hdfefbcd.JPG

Plastic Surgeons I/T team hard at work!

h4dcea57_2019-11-10.JPG

h7833a43.JPG

Some of the guys, talking modeling & hanging out. I didn't get pictures of the R/C entries and I don't know why. Once judging begins, I tend to forget my iphone/camera. OOPS!
Good ol' Dave McClain won a second prize for his super-clean 1961 Ford F-100 R/C Romper-stomper pickup body.

The wasn't any raffle, because Dave sponsors this show in his store. This day he discounted models, tools & paint 20%. My apprentice Tim loaded up on supplies for his 1/25 Yenko 427/SC Camaro model. His first one!
I did manage to find good homes for 5 airplane models Chuck Sterns started before his Trip Up to Heaven. I marked the box "Free started models to finish. $2.00".
NOBODY seemed to appreciate my humor. :stinker
Prizes were Hobbytown gift cards again this year. $20.00 for First, $15.00 for 2nd and $5.00 for third prize.
Very Generous!
Thanks Dave!! :yipee

I had the honor of announcing the awards and Teresa handed out the prizes. The Shocking Pink Surgeons in action together again!

h3d7fd9e.JPG

Joe Lotz cleaned up (and had his name pronounced properly!) with a prize for almost every model he entered.
His tank transporter, Motorcycle & Brewster Buffalo.

h9d526e6_2019-11-10.JPG

h15d8bfa.JPG

My own TLAR Models 1/700 110' Freezer Trawler "Bitchin' Witch" won a first prize in Ships and my silly Freedom Models Toon F-104C "General Eddie" Starfighter won a third prize in Aircraft.

Those of you that use FaceHole can see more pictures on the IPMS Plastic Surgeons page! Fair weather, good company and a fine time were had at the Ankeny Hobbytown this day!
A big thank you to both Dave Merrill & Zachary Fry for helping with Judging duties.

Back