• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

NordiCon 28 Sept. 2019.

Rhino

Super Moderator
"Back to the Movies" is the theme for this years NordiCon show. Billed on the Club website as "The Biggest IPMS Model Show In The Midwest". :yipee

http://www.aerohistorians.org/index.php/nordiccon

If any of you guys go, be aware my Sweetie will be attending to our raffle tickets, so all y'all ain't gonna win nuthin' good while Teresa builds her usual pahl of prizes!

See you there! Try not to get caught with tears on your face! :rotf
OH! Then two, I'll put up as many pictures as I can.

Stay tuned for more Mindesootah developments!

Oh yeah, We'll be visiting the Hobby Bunker too!
http://www.scalemodelsupplies.com/

It was a great day in Minnesota.
Teresa and I were having a great time at the raffle table.
I ended up with 14 wins out of 24 tickets bought.
I think Teresa end up with 10 or 11, not quite sure of her final tally.
I won two of these kits.
h2cd5509.jpg

What a get day.
All other winning will be on the what's new page.
I did give the Fujimi A-4F Adversary to Jeff.
Frank

Objectives for this trip:
Arrive safe & sound in Inver Grove Heights.
Submit entires, buy raffle tickets (supporting the Clubs) Place models, Have fun!
Find our Motel.
Evening with Christian and Samatha at the Blaine VFW.
Visit Scale Model Supplies in search or rare model treasures.
Lunch on the return leg at Harry's Cafe, Lakeville MN.
Smuggle Minnesota model kits across the border. RTB without mishap, casualty or loss.
Overview coming right up!!

hf9fd612.JPG

As I age, I find I enjoy waking up in the dark less and less. We sallied forth from Marion at 0600 on the dot.

h06a9026.JPG

Entries, in addition to TLAR Models 1/350 Point class cutter, The Samurai Bathtub and TLAR's 1/700 "Kwitcherbitchin'" Offshore Powerboat.
Arrived just after 1000 following a lovely fall-like car ride without much use of Interstates. We enjoyed the pretty drive up Highway 63 to Rochester. There are LOTS of Interstate Highways in the Twin Cites! One sign said "694"! We din't see all of them!

On to Nordic-Con!

h9b32fe4.JPG

Make & Take table for children of all ages and sizes!

h647a4e3.JPG

h7d588db.JPG

h765dbc0.JPG

h05fbfd4.JPG

Raffle & Silent Auction. (SHHhhhhh!)

heded38e.JPG

h5f4d9f3.JPG

h156e2b0.JPG

Some of the Vendors.................
Doyawanna see the Models?!!! :hmmm :idonno

h16f327a.JPG

Awards table. An interesting Show. All the Armor was judged AMPS style. IPMS Gold/Silver/Bronze for all other subjects. Nordic Con is sponsored by 4 Twin Cities Model Clubs (Jump in here anytime, Frank/Blaine/Colonel, Suh!)
The nifty Hawaiian shirts are worn by Contest Committee members and weren't for sale.

Raffle was draw/win/verify choose. Everybody was pleasant and courteous. Parking was plentiful. Lighting was almost pretty good. The gymnasium venue was divided evenly between Contest and Vendor tables.

I wrote my 9 entry forms Friday night so registration was a BREEZE!! We wore our Susan G. Komen Pink Surgeon Scrubs.
No other Plastic Surgeons appeared this day. Several Fartin' Flea Friends were there, so Teresa & weren't lonesome.

Model pictures, In no real cohesive order.
h9b32fe4_2019-09-30.JPG

h16f327a.JPG

h1458310.JPG

Paper model. Neet-O!

h60c2d47.JPG

So THAT'S what Stafighter really looks like! Steve's NF-104.

he74bbc7.JPG

h2602770.JPG

h78582de.JPG

h841c1ba.JPG

1/350 HMS Victory with crewmen about the Ship. We liked Her. She doesn't seem to have much way on with all the sail She's carrying.

ha4c2e86.JPG

Interesting use of Revell's ancient 1/72 PT-109 kit!

hbe92814.JPG

h41909b5.JPG

1/350 CA-38 USS San Francisco. My Favorite model ship, Gold award and People's Choice award winner! :salute :captain (y)

h5435667.JPG

h707cff2.JPG

There's a timeless romance I attach to an old Stern-Wheeler River steamer. :skipper

hb3eca68.JPG

Helicopters. Have watched Frank's intricate build, I am sure the Nordic Con judges underappreciated Frank's Huey.

h7430330.JPG

hd8e1d76.JPG

Heller's DH-89 Dragon Rapide.

hede941d.JPG

Ah! The Raffle drawings have begun. Sic 'em, Baby!

h133c80b.JPG

Lunch at B52 Burger & Brew. Your Burger gets a BUFF! The tea wasn't too bad fer a Yankee place.

hb109e3a.JPG

h86ee61f.JPG

h3402640.JPG

h00efe18.JPG

Interesting Cars Models from the RPM Club!

he5ecd69_2019-09-30.JPG

h2c51746.JPG

hf8c720d.JPG

Extraordinary finish on the '55 Chevy Pro-Mod! Best Finish special award winner! :notworthy (y)

hf807de0.JPG

The Wishing Tree. E-type Jaguar in a traditional pose. Young couple in the grass wishing for a reliable electrical system?! :idonno :rotf

haacdd2a.JPG

Motorcycle category! :good:

hb6166f5.JPG

h14f3a85.JPG

h5599e03.JPG

What's That!?

h23e4036.JPG

Howdy Ol' Girl! Monogram's 1/48 Tomcat. :yipee

h10eaa5f.JPG

Italeri's Hustler. A truly outstanding natural metal finish!

hddc1663.JPG

h0ad8264.JPG

hbedbd8f.JPG

You don't see a 1/48 RNZAF Vultee Veangeance every day. Angular. ungainly. Deadly.

hf35dfe1.JPG

h1f9c967.JPG

Junior-Built 1/72 Revell AG Messerschmitt P.1099 Heavy Armor. All Her wheels touch the ground. Nice Job!!

h64fd019.JPG

I have a confession to make. It is possible I goof-off a little more than most when I visit a Model Show. My able partner in crime bought this little farter as a gift. I kept it in my pocket all day. In strategic, quiet places and appropriate quiet moments, I would push one of the buttons, pause and toddle off without a word. Keeping a straight face wasn't always easy. I did my best. We all have different gifts & skill sets.

h5a2c820.JPG

Another Raffle drawing?! My Sweetie let me choose our prizes. There were some nice ones!! In truth we din't win 'em all.

h67b845c.JPG

h0410fd5.JPG

Thunderbirds to the Rescue! The disabled 1/350 Kilo was a nifty model on it's own. Then in races Aoshima's 1/350 Thunderbird 2 and 4 to save the day! :yipee

he39c4a4.JPG

Check out the eyes on the T-Rex!

h9390fe4.JPG

Junior entries. The younger ones.

h488cf0a.JPG

Menacing, lighted Klingon D-7 Cruiser. "Hab SoSlI' Quch!"

h897255f.JPG

h3ad50ce.JPG

h813ad64.JPG

We weren't sure what this figure is, but it was cool! I don't think it's a Gundam.
h7a189bb.JPG

Garfin! Him we not see for long time!
h959c667.JPG

ha23769c_2019-09-30.JPG

Honey! Do you remember if we saw any Tanks? :facepalm :stinker

A fine day was had. Teresa's Raffle fortunes continued!

h16a866b.JPG

14 Prizes. Only 2 were started, but appeared complete nonetheless!

TLAR Models had a tough day in Model Ship categories. There were some VERY Nice ships!
In other areas the Judges were generous to me.
h75d87ca.JPG

hefe361a.JPG

h3e37854.JPG

ha2067c2.JPG

h77aae5a.JPG

I was honored and humbled to receive the "Best Focke-Wulf" special award for Der Baron's Workhorse. I wondered aloud if there had been More than 1 FW-190 model entered. The little farter ran amok during the awards ceremony and had people sitting near us wondering where the sounds were coming from. A lady sitting in front us us kept poking her husband. "Is that you? Cut that out, eh!" HA!
Thanks Nordic Con clubs for such a fine show!

Hobby Bunker on Sunday!

As Chris mentioned, here are the 4 host clubs.
IPMS/Twin City Aero Historians,
IPMS/RPM Twin Cities,
OMG Modelers,
Minnesota Military Figure Society (MMFS)
Frank

Down the wide ancient staircase we descend, into the Belly of Gold. On a gray drizzly Sunday morning we arrive just after the store opens. Well, not REAL gold. Have a look!

h814fcae.JPG

hde67dff.JPG

h297464f.JPG

h63aa4d0.JPG

hff58901.JPG

Almost any craft or hobby item you could wish for. Rock tumblers & Breyer Horses. Railroad & slot cars. Die cast, plastic & resin model kits await eager Model Maniacs to take them home. Rare or discontinued collectible kits of every sort adorn the tops of the shelves. There was even a sealed Revell Calypso kit! $75.00 was just a bit outside my $$ limit, but still.............

hbc7eb06.JPG

New releases sited on end caps............

h1712d09.JPG

CLEARANCE Room was open! Let's have us a look-see!

hb64dabc.JPG

h0e1f604.JPG

When was the last time you saw the old Aurora stand-up displays? WOW!

hab053a8.JPG

Started Monogram 1/72 F-104C Starfighter. $5.00!! Well............

hb4f237d.JPG

Yup! That's about as "Started" as they come!

hfa96f14.JPG

h8075c65.JPG

HOT DOG! Floquil paint racks! With Floquil paint still in them!! There was quite a selection of Humbrol tinlets too!
Take a wild guess about how many hours we spent here!

I made my Sweetie hungry, so we set off to see if Harry's Cafe was still in business. It's been 5 years since last I was here in Minneapolis. You never know!

Coming down 35 South under a low, gray cloud cover, my Darlin' spies the Harry's sign. Exit 221, she calls out.
221, Aye!
h21f6ead.JPG

h46e4204.JPG

h9aabebc.JPG

The food is very good. Expect Minneapolis prices. The atmosphere is happily aviation-ish, the coffee is GOOD!

h44a5317.JPG

The Carrot cake is INSANE! It's good too!

hcec0afa.JPG

A happy, weary, couple, we return to our Marion home, to relax, recount the weekends farting around, UM! Adventures!! Consume some well deserved adult beverages and relax!

Here's mud in your eye!
Thanks for looking in!

Back