• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

SurgiCon 25, 6 April 2019 Come Share the FUN!

Rhino

Super Moderator
With just a month to go, I thought it was high time I extended the Plastic Surgeons invitation to my Modeler's Alliance
Brethren!

We already have donations from Starfighter Decals, and of course TLAR Models.

More info here. http://ipms-plasticsurgeons.com/surgicon

Wish I could be there, I know it will be a great time!

:drinks

hd46de61_2019-03-11.JPG

h7b9a4e0_2019-03-11.JPG

I have already mentioned the 25th Anniversary wooden quarters. A new twist occurred.
We were relaxing with a movie on. Out of the blue the laser etcher began to run. My Sweetie has a cat that was found as a tiny kitten inside a wall on a home remodel project named Berlin. His thought processes seem to differ from other felines.

He had become curious about the machines on the dining room table and managed to hit "Start" on the laser etching machine. He printed a very nice Plastic Surgeons logo. When encouraged to flip the quarter over, he looked at me, like a Cow at a passing train. "No thumbs, Rhiner."
:rotf :yipee

hb7f4f7a.JPG

Starfighter Decals donation package arrived today! Thank you Mr. Tutton!
I confess eyeing the 1/72 Coral Sea decals with less than honorable intent.
The GT-40 decals are very cool too!

SirgiCon 25 is tomorrow! Yay!
Except..................
My Chuck Sterns award trophy got broken/scratched something fearsome. While trying to laser etch Barry's Gundam special awards challenge coin, not 1 but BOTH Neje DK-8-KZ laser machines went down. (DO NOT EVER buy one of these pieces of SHEYIT laser etchers!) So the custom 25th anniversary nameplates for my awards won't get etched until I figger out how to fix the Gorram things. Of course no Chi-Com seller is interested in any warranty/return.

OTHERWISE! A fine time will be had! Come on over! No more highways are flooded! Maid-rights, chips & drinks will be served by the Church Ladies!

64 Entrants, 300 models on the dot entered. Pictures tomorrow! I didn't take many pictures because I busied myself with registration, helped with the raffle, judged with Billy Krueger, and Joey Dahl, announced awards and helped with clean-up. T'were a busy Surgicon 25 Day!
:ro: :yipee :geek

h74d1e82.JPG

Duffy Yantz dropped in! Old Fart!
h986c1ee.JPG

About the Contested Space. Old friends and new faces prowl the tables sizing up the competition and taking in the ambiance. Darren Roberts was among the IPMS Fort Crook members that paid us a visit. Visiting is free at our show!

h546d347.JPG

1/32 D.H-2. Brilliant!

h57c5eb6.JPG

1/48 Aircraft eye-catchers. You don't see an Me-609 everyday!

h5aa77b0.JPG

Hawk Models 1/48 Mr. Mulligan is a rare bird!

h3488d29.JPG

1/72 Aircraft. Der Baron's Workhorse had PLENTY of company!

h7354884.JPG

Fighter-Bomber photo-bomb, courtesy of our own Rod Shackleford!

h63f4003.JPG

h2b96e6c.JPG

hcc6e85e.JPG

Figures, Vignettes & Dioramas. I liked the forgotten M3 Lee, buried in the sand. An original idea!

hb3479e5.JPG

Tracked Armor 1/34 & smaller. There were some little beauties in this category!

h8a2d80c.JPG

Bigger Armor models.

h64a3601.JPG

hc52403c.JPG

Armed Virginia Sloop and WWI 110' Sub chaser were stunners in the ship category. TLAR Models sponsoered the "Best Ship" award and it went to the Sub Chaser. My own 1/350 USCGC Point Welcome cutter gleaned a first prize. I was humbled by our judges opinions. Little Marley won a third place in 1/700 Ships! :yipee

h134195e.JPG

Initial Sci-Fi entrants. Later in the morning we had a HUGE influx of Gundam models. Some of them were absolutely outstanding!

h44223ba_2019-04-07.JPG

h6a94406.JPG

Ronnie Schultz and President Barry Rolow hard at Raffle Work. The quality of some of our raffle donatioins was below Plastic Surgeons standards this season. Teresa & I won an Academy 1/48 P-38J Droop-Snoot that was started and missing 2 key parts, a 1/35 A classic Revell USS Forest Sherman that was incomplete, a 1/35 Lorraine Schlepper without decals, and a 1/72 Matchbox RAF Halifax that had a factory molding defect. 5 other raffle prizes were complete or sealed, so overall, a good haul, but still............. :hmmm

hda1563e.JPG

Plastic Surgeons "Plank-owner" Don Barry confers with another modeler, whose name escapes me!

My 1/700 "Kwithcherbitchin'" cigarette boat and DAK pith helmet debuted this day. I found myself unwilling to further test the Lord's generosity by wearing my Nazi desert headgear inside his House too much.

I regret not taking more pictures. It was a busy Surgeon's "Work Day" for all of us! Teresa worked her little fanny off with registration and other Club chores. I was justifiably proud. While I was busy elsewhere, she perfectly packed up my models during the restoration of the church hall to it's former glory.

All the lighting in our space had been changed to LED's. A big plus to an already amazing venue!

The Chuck Sterns award went to Randy Fields for a stellar 1/48 Monogram F-84F Thunderstreak. In order to honor the memory of our Chuck properly, I could not present the battered & repaired Eagle trophy to Randy. I ordered a shiny new Award from my favorite supplier last night, personalized the plaque and Randy should receive his properly honorable award next week from Virginia.

Honor is tantamount to me. Integrity is a big deal too! There was nothing else I could do in Chuck's name.

No Junior Chuck Sterns entrants this season. Next Year, Perhaps.

Our thanks to all the Modelers that spent their hard earned $$, and precious time to attend SurgiCon 25!

Thanks for looking in!!

Francisco came through with some more fine pictures from our 25th Anniversary Show! :yipee
h2adc001.jpeg

Our Buddy, Mark is a member of the church where we've held our contest the last two years. He suffered a minor stroke, but was determined to attend our Show. There was a silent auction, and other silent cash donations for Mark & his family. He's a good man, and one of the best friends any man could ask for.

hb3867a4.jpeg

DAK Sonnenbedeck picture Mike wanted to see.

h4103c0d.jpeg

h3730e63.jpeg

h81f4952.jpeg

hfa3eb20.jpeg

hf99fa53.jpeg

More models! :good:

h0742561.jpeg

h1111d74.jpeg

h6e7b130.jpeg

Then on to Awards!

haec941d.jpeg

h83afada.jpeg

If you wish for a lesson in Humility, observe closely when Ross (Roscoe) Petra wins an Award. Here he receives "Best Armor" for his 1/35 Wespe. On photo doesn't truly do the surprise and gratitude enough justice.

h9b94b1a.jpeg

hc52403c_2019-04-07.JPG

Best Ship Award, sponsored by TLAR Models for the Awesome 1/96 World War I 110' SC

Back