• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hobbytown Ankeny's Model Contest

Rhino

Super Moderator
Saturday, 17 November 2018, Hobbytown Ankeny held their first Model Annual Contest.

h8362299.JPG

h1bafbfc.JPG

h0c91255.JPG

h902b2e2.JPG

This is not an IPMS event. It was a locally advertised & held show with an interesting twist. An origianl category for Radio Controlled Soft & Hard Bodied vehicles.

Courageous Teresa and I arrived together. She chose, of her own free will to attend and help with whatever. We promptly began registration.

h78c974d.JPG

After a slow start, things began to pick up. Weather was brisk, windy and cloudy. Perfect weather for model contest!
Gundam Models also had their own category.

he2e369e.JPG

ha22598a.JPG

Heavily modified Monogram Rommel's Rod. Bob Maloy's signature handiwork!

h4788e50.JPG

Yankee Civil War Balloon "Intrepid". The first one I've seen built. :dance

h724233d.JPG

JoHan's 1/25 Cadillac Limousine. You don't see a rare kit like this one built everyday. Check out the headlamps!

h0ad083e.JPG

R/C repair/build table. Lots of interesting repairs going on here.

h70e2c53.JPG

h06c20e7.JPG

he21c113.JPG

hddbc7b2.JPG

Not all Mark Mefford's car models are yellow.

he647468.JPG

I found the discoloring of the header pipes of particular interest.

hbddbeea.JPG

the rocket flame paint effect on the back of the '64 Goat was cool!

h5528bde.JPG

Best Gundam. Without much Gundam knowledge or instruction, this one is titled "Combat Window Cleaner". Note the glowing curved Squeegee?!

heacb0fb.JPG

h5bb31f6.JPG

Live Steam R/C scratch built Tractor. No Kiddin'!! The coolest thing I've seen in a very long time.
A 16-year-old built it.
HARUUMPH!!

h3c36d5b.JPG

h7bad3be.JPG

Land Rover Defender 110. RH drive, with California's former Governor at the helm.

h5013369.JPG

hc8edbde.JPG

h7c787f3.JPG

hc61d592.JPG

Stunning Camaro!

hd49cb4f.JPG

Plastic Surgeons I/T professionals hard at work!

he3498ec.JPG

hc0967c0.JPG

h7343275.JPG

No mention of Puppies. :idonno :hmmm
Evidently, R/C modelers have similar sickness to static model makers! :rotf
A cozy Local Show. 29 Entrants brought 69 models to Hobbytown this day. $5.00 entry fee for unlimited entries. Reasonable!
Owner Dave Bos was kept busy doin' Bidness while IPMS Plastic Surgeons volunteers went about the work (playfully) of model contest business we are all well versed in. I helped with registration so I got to meet almost all the entrants.
Awards were $5.00 gift card for Third Place, $15.00 Gift card for Second place, and a generous $20.00 Gift card for first place award winners.

I count the turn-out for Dave's first contest as stellar.
Hobbytown's home office wanted 4 models for their "Nationwide" contest.Best Gundam, Best Paint job, Best Junior Model, and Best of Show to compare to results from other Hobbytown contests across the nation. National winners will be announced on Hobbytown's web-site.

I do not wish any of you to believe this is a complete report. More like my impressions of eye-catching subjects and jocular commentary. See Hobbytown Ankeny's Facebook page for more pictures & details, with perhaps a little more reverence. :idonno

h00763fc_2018-11-18.JPG

The not-quite-finished Samurai Bathtub made Her debut here in Ankeny. Of three Diorama entrants, A first place award was bestowed upon Her.

hb609251_2018-11-18.JPG

TLAR Models 1/350 USCGC Point Welcome also did well in her second contest appearance. Of the 2 Ship model entries, a First Place award as well.
I am always humbled by the opinions of my Fellows.
Thanks for looking in!
:salute :eek:ldguy :pilot

Back