• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

USS Missouri build 2018

MM2CVS9

As I referred to in the Latest Acquisitions thread, I was given a Tamiya #78018 1/350 Missouri kit by a friend in Australia. The parts are all fine though, didn't even knock a part off a sprue.

f3VTjPS.jpg

tv0aR8h.jpg

16Mmv2x.jpg

It is the 2005 issue and I've heard good things about this kit.

Lots of questions though, hoping for some input from everyone here.

Do I build it up as 1945 or 1991? I'm leaning toward 1945, but ?????? any input? I like the idea of the natural wood deck too. But again ?????

Looked at Gold Medals PE, two sets available @ $50.00 each. I like Gold Medals PE.

I was told Pontos wood deck is a bit thinner than others and is available as the deck only for about $30.00, but I've only found it in blue so far.

Pontos has a basic upgrade set for $240.00, an advanced upgrade set for $300.00, both come in blue or natural wood. The advanced has resin parts, brass gun barrels, lots of PE, wood deck, etc. They are specific for either 1945 or 1991. Does anyone have any experience with Pontos photo etch?

That's what I've looked into so far. I've got a couple others on the bench right now, but want to start getting things together. It doesn't look like decals are an issue as there aren't many markings. I stocked up on White Ensign Naval paint colors just before they went under and the price doubled, so I'm good there. Not too much rigging, but plan on EZ line for that.

Any and all input or comments will be helpful.

EJ

Sounds like you're on your way with the Atermarket. My vote would be 1945, I just lean to that era. :popcorn

Hey Paul, here are my thoughts on wood decks for these. The decks are of some thickness. These models are a small scale and consider how thick it would be even if it was 1/64th of an inch thick (.016) in 1/350 scale. It comes up 5.6 inches thick which is a little out of scale. I have seen builds with the wood decks added on and they always seem a little off to me. My opinion there so there are my observations on the issue.

As to the PE, take your choice, whatever you feel comfortable with. Get out your tweezers, zoomie glasses and have fun. I am looking forward to seeing what a navy man can do with the Big Mo!

Watching-with-Popcorn.jpg

E.J. If you do the 91 variant then there are more things to be removed in order to up date to the modern stuff. ABL launchers, CHAFF, etc,etc. I do, however, think the 45 version would be more to anybodies liking. I am pretty sure that you would be just a busy with this kit as Paul would be with his B-36.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Because the kit is for the 1944/45 version, I'm going with the 1945 to eliminate all the changes that would be required, (Paulw).

I've searched for build logs with limited success. As popular as this kit seemed to be, there don't seem to be many really good builds documented. I found a few, some pics only, some that seem to have never been finished, some quite brief. Ironically, the newer 1/200 scale kit has many more and complete build reviews.

I printed out the aftermarket stuff I searched for, and compared the parts in the GMM, Pontos and other stuff pretty carefully.

I costed out aftermarket by the piece, GMM PE (I like GMM), I've never used any other brand except those small frets that come in some kits so I don't know if there's much difference between brands, Model Monkey 3d printed turrets, brass barrels w/blast bags and the blue deck only from Pontos. I may or may not use the deck, but want to see it in the flesh (Heavens Eagle) as I've always been curious about them. Pontos is supposed to have the thinnest one. I'm gonna try a paint job on the plastic deck first. If it looks like crap to me, well, the wood one could be a backup. All together it came to $190.00 or so, not including shipping.

Pontos offered 2 sets, a "standard" and "advanced". The advanced set adds brass screws, some resin, ( 5" turrets, searchlights, paravanes, blast bags, Mk51 directors). The screws are very shiny gold color, but I never saw any real ships screws that were anything but a dark bronzy color.

The standard set is $239.00, advanced $300.00. The kit parts don't look all that bad to me, plus, my skills only go so far anyway, so, I think I'm gonna do the "single Source" thing and get the Pontos standard set. Some of the teensiest stuff I may not use anyway, but ----- And a book for reference.

Gonna get this stuff ordered tomorrow.

Next, I'll post pics of the stuff in the box.

EJ

The hull, about 30", not much detail on it except lines for the waterline that I'll sand off. got a bit of flash.

VDne2MS.jpg

The foredeck, chain will come off and be replaced.

BshEuhx.jpg

SQxGCDi.jpg

After deck.

Y80bsRJ.jpg

Center deck

8m7noUY.jpg

Two frets, mostly gunnery stuff. 16" barrels will be brass, using the plastic blast bags. Don't know about the 5" barrels.

9pp0Xre.jpg

Rivet detail on the turret tops.

vdOVIbs.jpg

5" turrets. PE will dress these up I think.

CQfYAAu.jpg

Tubs and sponsons.

CcLMaUf.jpg

l53Rq0X.jpg

Misc small stuff,, two frets, cranes, cats, lots of this stuff will be replaced with PE.

15o7oNa.jpg

Decking detail, raised ridges for planks. Ordered a wood deck, but may or may not do that depending on how I do with paint on the plastic. We'll see how it goes.

FIu4Hgo.jpg

More small guns floater nets etc. Two frets.

BEviui8.jpg

gavbsNm.jpg

Turret tops and sm parts

q1qkURC.jpg

The blast bags. Might look ok after the brass barrels are on.

PuhXcSN.jpg

The pontos set has lots of PE and some resin stuff to add to and/or replace items, so I'm interested in seeing all the add ons, esp rails, doors, ladders radar etc. Not sure yet about what I'll use for rigging. I'm absolutely no good at stretching spru, so will probably use e-z line. Used the small stuff on 1/700 and it looks ok to me.

The bag with the plastic stand I didn't even open. I usually make a mahogany or cherry stand with brass pedestals and have a plexiglass cover made to fit the stand.

Ordered the Pontos set today. We'll see about the smaller guns after I do one with PE. Might get the 3D printed ones. I've used 1/520 scale 3D and they are nice. Plus, they don't break as easily as plastic or resin.

Still looking for a book.

Trying to finish up the fleet oiler to get it out of the way first.

EJ

I'm back and forth on the wood veneer, mine looked like crap but Laurence nailed his on the Bismark. :popcorn

OK, I've got the ESSEX reunion behind me. Was in Las Vegas for a week. Had 18 guys from the ESSEX LHD-2 with us this year, including the Commissioning Skipper, Captain Berg. Those guys are a real hoot.
Next reunion Oct 11 at the Yorktown, assuming there is anything left standing after the hurricane.

Anyway, I finally broke down and ordered the Pontos set #35026FN. It's the basic set, not the super set, and comes with a natural wood deck. It was on sale for $172.00, from $240.00. I'm not sure if I'll use the wood deck or not. If I decide to go that route I can stain it blue. The super set has a lot more parts to it, but I'm not sure if I would use all of them anyway. With my skill set, I might not use all the stuff in the basic set :unsure: .

The super set 37026FN,has 451 brass on 9 PE sheets, 131 resin + 5 extra parts, and a wood deck. List price $300.00

The regular set 35026FB has 449 brass on 8 PE sheets, 101 resin + 5 extra parts and a wood deck. List price $240.00

I got it for $172.00.

Looking over the information photos, it's not really clear what all those extra parts are, except I see brass screws in the advanced set. The photos shown on the website look to be pretty much the same for both sets?

I'll post my impressions when the set comes.

EJ

The Pontos set arrived. Here is what is in it. Came in a cardboard box. The PE sleeves were taped to the inside bottom so they wouldn't slide around.
H603yV2.jpg

14 pages of instructions, 11 3/4" by 16 3/4 inch, glossy, color.
rL56a6L.jpg

A plastic bag, with seven plastic bags of turned brass parts, gun barrels, masts, gaffs, antenna, range finders, etc.
KUeKe8a.jpg

Aadrxvi.jpg

S92SMsn.jpg

ftrAdAu.jpg

70s1uRy.jpg

uffbfQ8.jpg

fm03yrA.jpg

A bag, with two bags of plastic / resin parts. Blast bags, gun mounts, etc., chain.
0cJuk1x.jpg

6s6eT7x.jpg

A small decal sheet in a plastic sleeve.
ZQ5jjGh.jpg

9 PE sheets, each in it's own separate plastic sleeve.
HzGV8TU.jpg

Yo3h5p4.jpg

ELDj3nc.jpg

MNjyevw.jpg

yfQYUGA.jpg

yfQYUGA.jpg

IAZpk7X.jpg

txSZAlP.jpg

hweBCpV.jpg

A wood deck. It is in two frets in a plastic sleeve. Has a self adhesive backing with a substantial plastic peel off backing. The adhesive is quite aggressive. I found this out when using a calipers to determine the thickness. It stuck pretty tight, even though It was not pressed on that tightly and for a very short amount of time. Thickness was .0094 inches or .2387 MM, Thinner than a matchbook cover (.014 inches).
eFlbhBU.jpg

Lots more parts than I probably will use. My skills are not THAT good. I'm not sure how important the Pontos advanced set is nor what the parts are, but, well, I think this will be good enough for me.

Now, to get going on this thing.

EJ

You're a braver man than I Gunga Din! I would not even consider that!

I do wonder why the decal sheet includes the North Carolina, Alabama, Washington and Massachusetts; they are completely different classes of ships.

Looking forward to watching this.

I've used Gators masks before. I really like the "Boot Topping" Masks. I still have some left on the sheet. I guess those are not made any more.

Regarding the Missouri, I'm gonna stick with the late 1945 MS22 paint. 5N Navy Blue, 5H Haze Gray, 20B deck blue.

The wood deck from the AM set (if I use it) is natural. That was the set that was on sale - that's what was in it. I'm not sure if there is a finish on it or not, I'll have to test some scraps first, but I'm gonna try to stain it deck blue. Or, I just might paint and do a wash on the plastic deck, we'll see. The kit decks have raised plank lines, the wood decks are incised. I'm not sure if I have to sand off all the raised lines to stick the wood decks on?

The last time I tried a dazzle scheme was on the ESSEX kit. I messed it up so bad, well, yuck. I had put a lot of work in that kit. When I tried to strip the paint to do a do-over, I damaged some of it. In the end, the kit wound up in the junk pile. Seems as if paint is my Achilles heel. If it comes out of the airbrush ok and leaves a pretty fair finish, I'm happy. I just try to keep it simple. Just getting the boot top right is a feat for me. That's where Gators masks saved my butt.

EJ

I would suggest scraping off the raised plank lines. Make a small scraper from a used/broken #11 blade and shape a flat scraping surface with a sharpening stone. It will take the lines down quick and unless you go overboard it will not work as well on the flat surface underneath. (it will take material off if you work at it though)

Then some light sanding to level it out. I would suspect that you need to do this especially if you plan on using the wood deck.

OK, Now that my Fleet Oiler AO-41 build is done, time to start the Missouri. I have a commission build of a 1/12 scale, Dumas "Lightning" sailboat (a wood kit), Mostly just the rigging), an "egg" USS ESSEX aircraft carrier to detail, and a Guillow's wood kit of a 1/32 DC-3 to finish as well.

The Missouri kit is a lot of work, plus, you know, I work in stop and start fits, so I'm gonna use the above kits to break up the build so I don't wind up quitting it.

It's the Tamaya 78018 kit. I've decided to do it in 1944/45 with the grey color scheme, not the dazzle.

The kit has a lot of parts. I don't know how many as there is no count on the box or in the instructions. The kit parts are shown earlier in this thread. The Pontos aftermarket set has more parts than the kit does, somewhere around 550 or more brass, photo etch and resin parts. I probably won't use them all, but who knows til I get there.

Started by looking over the instructions. There do not seem to be any really good build logs out there. Combining the kit instructions and the pontos instructions ( there is no written, just pictures on several color sheets) might be a bit confusing, so I'll just muddle along, following the kit stuff and trying to upgrade the various assemblies with the Pontos stuff as I go.

Started with the biggest part, the one piece hull. Just a tiny bit of flash and two pits on the bottom to fill. There was a seam showing the full length of the hull from stem to stern that had to be sanded out.

Then, I put some reinforcing blocks inside the hull with epoxy where the mounting bolts will go, then the nuts.

al3aCTr.jpg

gswXpaC.jpg

Then drilled the hull for the bolts. The long ones are temporary so I can mount the thing to a building board. One pick shows a brass part that will be what is used to mount the finished kit to the display base.

XKwykM0.jpg

XNLaakt.jpg

Mounted to the basic building board.

1KAFbP3.jpg

These are shots of it mounted on a more elaborate building fixture I use after the hull is completed. I can tip the model side to side when working on it with this one. Both of these fixtures make it easier for me to handle the thing as I build it up without actually having to handle the kit.

lJZNnKb.jpg

908keUs.jpg

Next, the main deck, scrape off the raised lines and cut off the bits that will be replaced with Pontos stuff.

EJ

Back