• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Colossus-Building the Bismarck-Trumpeter 1/200th

White_Wolf

Master at Arms
Well, Ladies and Gentlemen, I am about to embark on a journey that will take a wile. I wanted to share this with all the fine folks here on MA.

First things first - the kit is huge, they say it contains over 1,700 parts. I will take photos and post them when the time comes. Not opening all the plastic bags just yet.

This will be a diorama, the action taking place in December of 1940, during sea trials in the Baltic Sea. The box for the diorama will come much later, but I think it will be around 1.5m long by 0.8m. Jury is still out on that one, first I need to get an understanding of how big the hull is.

I will show a very stormy sea, big waves, splashes, water over the deck, everything. Celluclay will be used for that, although it has given be some headaches in the past - it cracks here and there and it shrinks everywhere. If not careful, the whole flat base will warp like mad. Again, much later in the build.

The ship will be showing her full camo colors - the instructions in the kit suggest this as well. There is a lot to be said about her colors as they changed drastically during her first and only mission, but that is something I will talk about later on.

I also have a set of Trumpeter's 1/200 navy figures. Very small people there, 60 of them in the pack.

I have also purchased the MK1 Super Detail kit. So much PE that's both scary and exciting at the same time.

Just a few photos for now, to get things started.

Jasper being curious - iPhone on top the box to show how big this thing is.

hfe71e0e_2017-10-14.JPG

Unwrapped

h2a59370_2017-10-14.JPG

Some of the content of the detail kit

h88cdc12.JPG

And the instructions - for the Detail Kit - 4 double sided color pages plus two double sided black/white

hbac331c.JPG

Also present - wooden deck, decals with the big swastikas, different from the ones in the kit, all barrels and much more.

This is what you see when you open the kit...a lot of boxes. Excellent idea, everything is boxed up.

h344c6ec_2017-10-14.JPG

Plenty of PE in the kit as well ...

hda48cf6.JPG

References are very much needed, so, after browsing the net, frantically some might say, I came across a ton of stuff, as one would expect for a famous ship. I have selected a few sites, but this one, I would recommend for the high quality stuff they show there. The couple of images below are posted on their website among many other, not only of Bismarck.

hf611a01.jpg

and one more

h9966b39.jpg

Basically, these guys have produced a 3D model of the whole thing - all the details are there, it's really great. Link below

http://3dhistory.de/wordpress/3d-models/dkm-bismarck/bismarck-high-res/

Credit to the owners and creator of that amazing piece of work.

Well, I will take more photos of the pieces in the kit and post them here.

Thanks for reading this, wish me luck :D

Laurence

P.S. - I would have never considered this project if I were to do it alone :notworthy

:woohoo:

That is going to be huge!!!!

That 3D model should be a great resource. Looks like they did a fantastic job with it.

Good luck Lawrence! This is going to take some time! :eek:ldguy

I didn't know the Blues Brothers did that song.

So what was under that clam shell thing on the stack?

So looking forward to this build. It sounds like an exciting idea. Just something to mull over as you build, maybe if you make the basic wave shapes using the blue or pink hi density construction foam you can carve the basic shapes. The celuclay may behave better with a support under it. Also Ammo of mig makes a new water product that might be worth researching to see if it will do what you want.
:popcorn :popcorn :popcorn :popcorn :popcorn :D
James

After doing a ton of research and building on my Arizona, I would recommend these things to look for.

Other builds, not so much for what they did but the research that other folks found to support what they did.

A must is for real photos of the Bismark. Books, drawings, and 3D builds can help, but they all end up being second generation sources and guesswork to the real thing. Don't get me wrong as those can help fill in gaps, but in my Arizona references there were more errors in the secondary sources than going with poor photos. I did find some high res scans of the Arizona original drawings. Those helped out a lot.

I bought the Kagaroo 3D of the Arizona and it wasn't much help at all. There were tons of errors and incorrect things in their 3D renders. It was only good as a filler for odd details. I found most of my info from literally scouring the internet and it was amazing the stuff that was squirreled away all over. You will be amazed at how much stuff ends up being posted all over the internet. One place you might look into is the "Ship Model Forum" I found a lot of info from those folks as well as a lot of info from their builds.

Good Luck on this Lawrence! Feel free to nudge me if you run into a snag and need some ideas.

Whoa!!!! I'm gonna follow this one closely!

I hope you have some patience saved up! :)

Good Luck!

Bob

The closer the better :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

I have very little patience to start with. What I think I might have is stubbornness. That might overcome the lack of patience :D

Thank you :zen

Laurence

So looking forward to this build. It sounds like an exciting idea. Just something to mull over as you build, maybe if you make the basic wave shapes using the blue or pink hi density construction foam you can carve the basic shapes. The celuclay may behave better with a support under it. Also Ammo of mig makes a new water product that might be worth researching to see if it will do what you want.
:popcorn :popcorn :popcorn :popcorn :popcorn :D
James

Thank you James, appreciate the advice.

The water for Predator was done 100% with Celluclay, nothing underneath but a flat base. I have used the same approach and technique Lewis Pruneau used for his magnificent U-505 diorama.

h90b1ff0.JPG

As I have only ever seen photos of Lewis' work, I dare not compare my ocean water to his. But, in having said that, I think my ocean turned out ok. I had to make a few corrections, nothing major. The cracks and warping occurs within the first 48 hours, while its' drying. After that, you have a nice surface to work with. It does require more than a coat of paint, but that is ok.

I will certainly look at the product you mentioned, thanks for that.

Laurence

After doing a ton of research and building on my Arizona, I would recommend these things to look for.

Other builds, not so much for what they did but the research that other folks found to support what they did.

A must is for real photos of the Bismark. Books, drawings, and 3D builds can help, but they all end up being second generation sources and guesswork to the real thing. Don't get me wrong as those can help fill in gaps, but in my Arizona references there were more errors in the secondary sources than going with poor photos. I did find some high res scans of the Arizona original drawings. Those helped out a lot.

I bought the Kagaroo 3D of the Arizona and it wasn't much help at all. There were tons of errors and incorrect things in their 3D renders. It was only good as a filler for odd details. I found most of my info from literally scouring the internet and it was amazing the stuff that was squirreled away all over. You will be amazed at how much stuff ends up being posted all over the internet. One place you might look into is the "Ship Model Forum" I found a lot of info from those folks as well as a lot of info from their builds.

Good Luck on this Lawrence! Feel free to nudge me if you run into a snag and need some ideas.

Thanks for that Paul, sharing ideas can only help, good advice too (y)

I do have a few more sources for this build, books and photos, I have seen forums and websites alike.

The problem I had with Arizona was an eye opener, because of lack of reliable information. Managed to get some plans, lots of opinions on this, that and the other. Who do you believe? The people who say the colors were like this, half a shade darker, or something totally different. What was the color of the very top (above the stack) of the superstructure on the Arizona? White? Medium grey?

h5e896d0.jpg

Same for the Bismarck - full camo during the Baltic trials, then, when the arrived in Norway, they painted over the stripes on the superstructure, the following days they painted over the big swastikas, and then all hell breaks loose - was it a tarp over the swastikas or painted over? Did they actually end up painting the top of the turrets yellow? Some British folks swear they could see yellow on top of the big turrets when she sank, some Germans say they tried, but the stormy weather and big waves made it impossible and on and on and on. I suppose you could spend a lifetime researching these things.

I am all for researching the subject, but, when I hit different, colliding opinions, I try to see what the most reliable source would be, then go with it. If and when the time comes to present this at a competition, at least I will have the reference I need to justify why this and not the other. Of course, we all know, you can never please the judges :D

Thank you again for your words, I will certainly send a message or two if I hit a snag.

Cheers,

Laurence

Amen to that! Just build it! Most of the details we sweat over other people don't even see unless you point them out. My Arizona will be painted standard Navy grey which she was after her last refit in January 1941 to July.

Damn the torpedo's! FULL SPEED AHEAD!

(y)

Amen to that! Just build it! Most of the details we sweat over other people don't even see unless you point them out. My Arizona will be painted standard Navy grey which she was after her last refit in January 1941 to July.

Damn the torpedo's! FULL SPEED AHEAD!

(y)

Couldn't agree more Terry, all possible details in, do the best job I can and let things happen after that. :good:

Laurence

Back