• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Moonpup's been after me. Finally S.S. Minnow

Rhino

Super Moderator
So it begins............. Moonpuppy had poked at me, several times about an S.S. Minnow. There were 4 versions of the Minnow during the run of Gilligan's Island. This is version 1, the Boat you see grounded on the "uncharted desert Isle".
IMG_6134.JPG

We begin construction of Jonas Grumbie's most famous Vessel with the generic 60-Foot work boat hull.
We cut, we carve, we study photos.
IMG_6135.JPG

I make small parts to improve the basic profile. Orca was a 44-foot Elco Boat. Minnow is a 48 footer.
IMG_6136.JPG

Just a little bit-o-Boat!

Corrections: :smack
The Skipper's name is Jonas GRUMBY. The S.S Minnow being modeled began her life as a 38 1/2 foot Wheeler 1960 Express Cruiser, so she's actually smaller than Orca, by just a bit.
IMG_6137.JPG

IMG_6139.JPG

Flying Bridge day today! It still needs shaping, but not too bad!
IMG_6138.JPG

Minnow, with Orca for perspective! :captain
Thanks for looking in!

Yes, Duke, The famous Shark/fishing Boat will also be molded in the "1/700 Small Boat set" :yipee

IMG_6140.JPG

IMG_6141.JPG

The Flying bridge is shaped, the spray shield and railings are applied. One piece of teeny stretched sprue, dampened with liquid glue, and formed on around the contour of the Minnow's Flying Bridge. I want the kit's Master to be "Just So". :bat
I squinted today!! :drool :bang head No sneezing! Even happily whistling while I model, could "Toss the Tiny Ship"!

Thanks for looking in!

Now I have that song in my head. :( and Ginger on my mind. :laugh:

Why so small? (I'm not judging). :idonno

Cheers,

Bill

I'm with Bob on that, Ginger was too hi maintenance for me

neat work, especially on a boat destined for a 3 hour tour....a 3 hour tour..............

I'm with the Mary Ann crowd as well! :drool Slinky, lithe, sugary, Ginger may have been a might pricey to keep! :bat
S.S. Minnow is 1/700 scale because She's made to go with your other 1/700 scale waterline ship models (because I'm touched in the Head, quite a lot more than most) in the Small Boat set TLAR Models will soon produce.

The vacuum chamber came today, so I'll be able to mold and cast any dinky thing I wish, free from bubble trubble!!!

Thanks you Men, for adding mirth to my micro-model-mania!! :notworthy :rotf

I third the Mary Ann vote. She was just too good looking. Ginger looked high and mighty "I'm better than you because I'm a movie star" and she would have been high maintenance.
And yes, the shorts didn't hurt either. Hey, I was a kid with raging hormones, what do you expect!

Tim

h91384b0.JPG

More Smooth On materials! Small Boat set, including SS Minnow, on the way!!
MUHHU Ha ha haha HAHA!! :rotf :rotf :rotf

I'm doing SS Minoow # 4 the one pictured on the Beach of Gilligan's Island, sans holes, in waterline! :rotf :rotf :rotf

Looking forward to the update. A bit of trivia and a pop quiz question. In the opening of Gilligan, you can see the flag at half staff for JFK. Now for the quiz, how many people are on deck of the Minnow when she leaves the harbor on the three hour tour? :coolio

TLAR Models 1/700 Small Boat set. As if all my Boats weren't dinky to begin with! :rotf
h404f67a.JPG

Disassemble Lil' Orca and prepare Her for Molding. I'm trying to fill the pulpit railing with Future, so they will mold in one piece. :bang head Then I can soak her in Windex, and put Little Orca back together for more play time!
hf4e429d.JPG

h3c0933f.JPG

Small Boat Set includes Queen Conch, the 4th SS Minnow, 20-foot RHIB boat, 32-foot Sailboat, Defender 250 boat, A sunken PCF Swift boat, :idonno 35-foot Cabin Cruiser, and assorted smaller RHIB rescue boats.

Back