• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Duke's Shipyards Start a Russian Carrier Baku

Duke Maddog

This is a ship I pulled out to include in an Aircraft Carrier Group Build on another Forums. I figured I might as well submit it here as well.

This is the Hobby Boss 1/700 scale Russian Aircraft Carrier Baku:

WIP_ShipbuildersSquaredCampaign_I.jpg

WIP_ShipbuildersSquaredCampaign_II.jpg

This is the third sister ship of the class. I already have the first two: Kiev and Minsk already built. Now if someone would put out the fourth ship of the class; the Novorisisk, I would have all four ships built like I do with the Kirov class battlecruisers.

I hope to get started on this soon. Until then, stay tuned for more!

Thanks guys! I appreciate you stopping in and following along. Here's what I got done so far...

I added all the tiny fiddly bits and decks along both sides of the carrier island:

WIP_ShipbuildersSquaredCampaign_III.jpg

WIP_ShipbuildersSquaredCampaign_IV.jpg

I left all the forward deck parts off since I was concerned they'd break when I finally added this to the main deck.

Next I cemented the interior hull pieces that needed to go on and then I added the main deck to the top of the hull. Since parts of the deck didn't line up with the upper hull too well, I took my time lining up the edges and hitting them with Tamiya Extra Thin as I went around the edges of this ship. Here's a couple shots of the deck completed. I placed the island on the deck to show how it will look when it is finally glued onto the deck. Right now, I'm leaving it off until it's time to paint:

WIP_ShipbuildersSquaredCampaign_V.jpg

WIP_ShipbuildersSquaredCampaign_VI.jpg

Okay, that's all I have for now. I have a lot to do next week so I don't know how much I'll be able to get done beyond this. Until then, comments are welcome; thanks for looking in.

Thanks guys! I like this beastie. Rhino, it is very well molded with some intense detail. There's photo etch as well that's included; I'm planning on putting that on there the next time I have a chance to get to this.

Okay, here's my latest. I got paint on her now.

She needed a lot of masking and painting. So I started out by shooting the brown color on most of the decks of the main hull and island:

WIP_ShipbuildersSquaredCampaign_VII.jpg

Then came the first masking on the Island and the main hull:

WIP_ShipbuildersSquaredCampaign_VIII.jpg

WIP_ShipbuildersSquaredCampaign_VIIa.jpg

Then came the second color:

WIP_ShipbuildersSquaredCampaign_VIIb.jpg

Third mask came next:

WIP_ShipbuildersSquaredCampaign_VIIc.jpg

Followed by the third color for the main flight deck:

WIP_ShipbuildersSquaredCampaign_VIId.jpg

Finally, I masked off the flight deck section I'd painted last and then shot the grey all over the hull and superstructure. Here's the main hull all masked off:

WIP_ShipbuildersSquaredCampaign_VIIe.jpg

Finally, after all the painting was done, I pulled off all five miles of tape. I was quite pleased with the results! First, here's the hull and decking:

WIP_ShipbuildersSquaredCampaign_VIIf.jpg

And finally a shot of the hull and island dry-fit together:

WIP_ShipbuildersSquaredCampaign_IX_.jpg

Whew! That's all I have for now. Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

Back