• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Trumpeter 1:200 Arizona

Heavens Eagle

I am building this for the "Large Scale Arizona" ribbon in the Remember Pearl Harbor group build.

Here is the ribbon I want to earn:
ARIZONA-Lg-scale.png

My earliest experience with an Arizona type ship was when I was in second grade. I was in the hospital for some surgery on my right ear which had (and still has) very poor hearing. I was in a shared room with another kid who also had ear surgery. He received a Revell kit of the USS Pennsylvania. I remember he then pestered everyone for some glue (we were there for several days). Later on I received that kit for Christmas or as a birthday present. That was one of my earlier kits and it left a memorable mark.

Later on I built the Revell Arizona version of the kit. For it's age it still is an OK kit.

I had the Banner 1:350 kit for a long time but never did anything with it. Then I saw the Trumpeter kit built. Put a fork in me, I was done!

So here is the start. I was able to get the kit and aftermarket parts for some decent prices which helped. Meant I was supposed to do it I guess. :idonno

Arizona-001a.jpg

Arizona-002.jpg

Arizona-002a.jpg

Arizona-003.jpg

Arizona-004.jpg

As usual, I can already tell you that it will need some extra fixing. There are several portholes on the upper hull part that are distorted due to molding geometry. I will be making a fix for that right off before attaching the upper to lower hull. Doing that attachment will be another bit of work in order to get the upper and lower parts fully aligned and keep filler minimal.

Last edited:
Nice! I have the kit as well- and am looking for the Pontos Detail-Up set. Seems to be.... utterly unavailable? Oh, well!

I anxiously await your take on this kit, Paul- cheers!
chuk

I can remember one of the first kits I got was on Christmas but no thought of getting glue. I can remember pitching a fit and someone driving me around town to try and find someone who was open, of course, we were the only ones driving around town. I guess I got the glue sometime later because I got stuck on modeling. :rotf

You gonna nail this Paul. :popcorn

Glue? Never a problem, there was always a tube stuck to, and spilling it's contents on the old card table, the one with all the decals on it's legs. Sometimes still hanging on after it was folded up. ;)

My parents would torment me in a different way on birthdays and Xmas, they'd wrap a carded Testors orange, but not give me the kit.

Looking forward to watching this one.

I've been thinking about this kit myself. I'm kinda torn between it and the 1/350 TOS Enterprise with the post-Xmas model buying spree. ;)

Thanks for looking in everyone. I will try to make it worthwhile to watch.

Before I can really do to much, there are 22 port holes in the hull that are all oval shaped due to mold angles. I am going to drill the originals out and replace then with some resin plugs which will be cast from a master. Should be a fairly easy fix the way I have it envisioned. We shall see won't we. :D

Nice! I have the kit as well- and am looking for the Pontos Detail-Up set. Seems to be.... utterly unavailable? Oh, well!

I anxiously await your take on this kit, Paul- cheers!
chuk

Thanks Chuck! I know what you mean on the AM PE sets. I looked into both the Pontos and Eduard sets. Downloaded the Eduard instruction sheets and photos and tried to do the same with the Pontos set. Wasn't much (that I found anyway) on the Pontos set outside of having a wood deck. After looking at various builds that had wood decks I decided to pass on that item. They all looked like they had about 12 to 18 inch thick wood for decks which I did not like.

The Eduard stuff looked like it worked with the Trumpeter PE in the box and the small AM set Trumpeter put out. Plus I have gotten quite used to working with Ed PE these days.

:popcorn I have heard the Pontos Wood decks were a problem on both the 1/200 & 1/350 kit. I have the 1/350 Banner kit in drydock.

Thanks, Paul! The detail-up sets have brass gun barrels, resin canvas gun covers, etc, and 18 frets of PE, as well as the wooden decks. I've seen some builds where those decks look just amazing- I'll keep looking for reviews.

Thanks, Paul! The detail-up sets have brass gun barrels, resin canvas gun covers, etc, and 18 frets of PE, as well as the wooden decks. I've seen some builds where those decks look just amazing- I'll keep looking for reviews.

Is there a chance of seeing a chukw USS Arizona too? That may be more then us mere mortals at MA can handle! :yipee

Hope you're move is going well Chuck, can't wait for you to start posting models again!

Mike
(Sorry to hijack your thread Paul - now back to your regularly scheduled programming! :tomato )

Mike you didn't hijack it as you voiced just what was going through my mind as well. Hope the move is going smooth Chuck! I can't imagine the adventure you and your lady are having with this move. Hoped to entice you into joining into this build with your kit, but understand all the move stuff and a certain Mig come first.

:Hiay

Paul I look forward to what you do with this build. I have only one ship in my stash. She is the 1/350 USS Arizona. I will not be taking on that project until a time comes where I feel my skills are up to par with what I want to do with her.

Joe

While building my up my Stormtrooper 'puter the last couple of weeks I took some time and identified the messed up portholes on the upper hull. There is going to be a little creative rework to get the ones on the bow sides all level. Here are all the problem children marked on the port side. Starboard is the same. I want to fix these before attaching this part to the lower hull.

Here is just a quick little update.

Arizona-005.jpg

Arizona-006.jpg

Arizona-007.jpg

I am going to make a plug to replace these and make some resin castings for the 22 needed. If you like what I do drop me a note and I can send you a set (when they are ready).

Last edited:
I have been working on this monster the last week or so. Have the replacement portholes installed and mostly cleaned up. Still have a little more adjusting as they don't quite match in the outside diameter to the rest of them on the ship.

In addition I drilled out all the portholes. Not sure if that was a good idea or not but it is done now. I decided (after the fact) that it would have been better to use a flex shaft with a foot control (like the jewelers at work use) By doing that I could have set the drill IN the hole and then started drilling. Using the running Dremel there wer a couple that I didn't hit the hole right and it chewed up the ring around the hole.

That is why I had the extras I guess.

Anyway here are a few new pics. Enjoy!

Arizona-008.jpg

Arizona-009.jpg

Arizona-010.jpg

Arizona-011.jpg

Arizona-012.jpg

Arizona-013.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Last edited:
Back