• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Duke starts another ship.

Duke Maddog

Okay, I have several ships already going so I figured, why not start another one here and earn this ribbon?

On the slipways at Maddog Manufacturing will be this ship: the 1/700 scale USS Forrest Sherman; an Arleigh Burke class destroyer.

Stay tuned for more shipbuilding from Maddog Manufacturing:

WIP_Forrest_Sherman_Shipbuilder_Campaign_I.jpg

WIP_Forrest_Sherman_Shipbuilder_Campaign_II.jpg

Wow, I thought I'd been updating this and I guess I haven't been doing that.

Okay, here is where I am with this ship so far. Some time back I started out with the main superstructure and bridge tower:

WIP_USS_Forrest_Sherman_I.jpg

You can see the first of a ton of photo-etch that is included in this model. This will be a tremendous challenge to me to finish because of it:

WIP_USS_Forrest_Sherman_II.jpg

Here is the progress I got done on the Forrest Sherman so far:

WIP_USS_Forrest_Sherman_III.jpg

This brings us up to today. I had brought out the airbrush to paint some other models before I shot some ships decks. The first one I hit the USS Forrest Sherman:

WIP_USS_Forrest_Sherman_IV.jpg

Now I just have to mask off the decks and then shoot the hull and superstructure with the lighter grey. Hopefully I'll be able to get to her again soon.

I also pulled out another ship for this Campaign since I am planning on building it for a Group Build on another Forums. I'll post a new Thread for that one, feel free to check it out.

Until then, thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

Here's the latest I got done on this ship.

I masked off the decks on USS Forrest Sherman using tape since it was all straight edges and angles. I only used a little liquid mask on this one:

WIP_USS_Forrest_Sherman_V.jpg

WIP_USS_Forrest_Sherman_Va.jpg

I then shot the lighter grey over the hull and superstructure. Later on I removed all the masking. This looks pretty good with a minimum of touch-up needed:

WIP_USS_Forrest_Sherman_VI.jpg

Now I can finally move forward on this ship.

Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

Don't have too much to show, but here's a little progress on this destroyer. I painted her up then removed the deck masking:

WIP_USS_Forrest_Sherman_VII.jpg

You can see she needed a bit more work done on the hull, so I did some more masking, then sanded the hull sides smooth and re-shot the grey:

WIP_USS_Forrest_Sherman_VIII.jpg

Now I can move on with this. She should start moving fairly quick until I get to the photo-etch...

Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

This week, I got most of the photo-etch and other detail parts on the USS Forrest Sherman. I still have more parts to add to the photo-etch platforms:

WIP_USS_Forrest_Sherman_IX~0.jpg

WIP_USS_Forrest_Sherman_X.jpg

After all this, I started the decals on all this ship. I did the deck decals first. Once these are dry, I'll add the rest of the decals:

WIP_USS_Forrest_Sherman_XI.jpg

That's all I have for now. I just need to finish the detail parts and painting on this, as well as the hull and superstructure decals and this will be done. Stay tuned, more to come.

Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.

Well, after getting all the little bits and bobs on, then applying decals, I finally got this finished. I do still need to complete her helicopter, but this ship is finally completed:

USS_Forrest_Sherman_I.jpg

USS_Forrest_Sherman_II.jpg

Now I can add this to the finished models thread and claim my badge!

Nice. I want to build the USS Springfield one of these days. Unfortunately I'm not quite ready to swallow the $75 pill for a waterline model yet.

Thanks guys for the compliments. I really appreciate them.

Helios, I take it that cost is for the 1/350 scale Springfield. I can sympathize with your reluctance to pay that kind of scratch for a ship model. Maybe someday.

Thanks guys for the compliments. I really appreciate them.

Helios, I take it that cost is for the 1/350 scale Springfield. I can sympathize with your reluctance to pay that kind of scratch for a ship model. Maybe someday.

It was only 1/700. :S

1/350 I could argue the cost. It is a resin kit...but still. I'm sure I'll pick it up at some point, but not at the moment.

Seeing you build these gives me the itch to try one though. I do have a USS Kitty Hawk in the stash.....

Back