• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

AIRBRUSHING COMPLEX SHIP STRUCTURES

jagmkx

The solution(s) to this inquiry may seem as obvious as painting any/all deck/ship structures as separate parts before assembling, but... I have faith that many have other successful methods to suggest?

Now that I've approached this perhaps backwards, the question. I'm working on my first aircraft carrier, a 1/400 Hasegawa Akagi.
The 'below deck' section(s) (as we are familiar with) is full of depth and complex shapes. The problem I'm having is executing a smooth paint finish to these (assembled/built) areas. The typical problem of airbrush turbulence creating a less than smooth (aka grainy) finish is exaggerated in this complex ship architecture. The only solution I have in my bag of tricks is to (next time) paint as many parts as possible with the final color as separate parts prior to assembly? I had done some of this but even spot airbrushing added sub assemblies is producing a grainy finish in some areas. Any better or additional suggestions for airbrushing ships more successfully would be greatly appreciated. I think that most of the aircraft carriers with Akagi type complex 'under deck' construction present the most difficult challenge to this issue. Thanks Much.

Think you need to work with your paint/thinner mixture and airbrush pressure if you're getting that grainy finish. maybe lighter touch but build up slowly?

Back