• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/200 Yamato Commission Build

Xavi84

So I found this on going shipbuilders campaign and thought I'd throw my hat in the ring with build. I started a WIP on an other forum but i figured the more places I post my build, the more people there are to keep me on track.

Over the summer a gentleman from a few towns over contacted me through a mutual friend in my local model club looking for someone to build this monster of a model for him. After a couple of emails and phone calls we met up so he could deliver the kit to me. When we met up the customer told me he's had that model sitting in his closet for almost 30 years. He said he tried his hand at a smaller scale models and decided that building wasn't for him, hence the commission build some 30 years later. When I asked him how he wanted the ship built he said he wanted me to add all the bells and whistles and to take my time with it. He then gave me a very generous down payment and we parted ways.

When I got home and showed my girlfriend the kit, she look at me and said "What the heck did you get yourself into" then laughed at me. She's actually really supportive of my hobbies.

Here I am holding this beast to give you a sense on how freaking massive this thing is.

Some of the contents in the box. The matt that everything is sitting on is 36"x24".

The deck.

Here's the hull that can also be used as a small canoe.

The best part of all of this is that after I'm done with this monster, the customer wants me to build the Bizmark, HMS Hood and USS Missouri all in 1/200!!!

To say that the fit on this model sucks would be a total understatement.

I replaced the kits gun barrels with Master Model brass barrels and are a huge improvement.

Here I added some miliput to represent the canvas gun shrouds.

Did I mention that the fit sucks on this thing, because the fit on this thing sucks!
Despite the terrible fit of everything I feel like I'm making some pretty good progress. I still need to order a few sets of photo etch from both Gold Medal Models and Tom's Model works so this is pretty much all the work I can do on the super structure until I get those.

I began working on the deck which was a huge pain in the butt. It took me 10 hours of nonstop work to get it looking some what decent.

Here's a dry fit with the super structure

The hanger bay from the kit was terrible and way too shallow so I decided to try to scratch build a better one using reference that a member of another forum sent me.

Paul it's not avalible anymore because the fit sucks (so I heard) and it's sitting in a bunch of folks's closet.

Nice start Xavi :skipper

You finish this thing you deserve the Campaign ribbon.

In addition to the horrible fit, the plastic is also pretty crappy. Some spures will only glue together with super glue, other spures will only glue together with Tamyia extra thin cement, and others will only hold with Tenax. Its the craziest thing.

You're a brave man, Xavi! :drinks I'll bet there are different types of plastic- styrene, ABS, etc. That guy is going to be one happy camper when he gets this brute!

I am sure on all counts Xavi! I posted earlier before scanning the rest of your thread, you are way off to a good start!! (y)

I agree Bob the poor kits usually end up in closets. (or landfills)

At the rate Trumpeter is going there are going to be some nice 1/200 scale kits around. The newest one is "The Nelson" or Lord Nelson" and it is a really interesting looking ship.

Hopefully Xavi the other ships the guy wants you to build are some of the new ones on the market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45g74Fsu-TM

Never even heard of this kit until now. Looks like it will make for an interesting build for sure (y)

This is looking pretty impressive so far. I have a friend and fellow IPMS club member who's refurbishing one of these for a client, so I know what you're going through. Be sure to check your gun barrels to make sure they are parallel. Keep going man, I'll be watching this with great interest.

Back