• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Scratching

Kiwidave4

Not sure if I follow the aim here. Is it a challenge or a workshop to help people scratchbuild?

I never build OOB so all my models have a degree of scratchbuilding, sometimes just a few minor details, sometimes a complete rework as was the case with my Tamiya Saladin which only used three of the original parts.
Sally7.jpg

Sally10.jpg

I am going to be a grumpy old man and suggest that the hardest thing about scratchbuilding is not the use of tools/materials, it is the visualisation of the item that you want to build. All bits of machinery basically break down into geometric shapes;- circles, squares, spheres, cubes, etc. It makes no difference if you want to build a gearbox for a F1 car, a cupola for a tank or an engine nacelle for an aircraft, the starting point is to look past what everone else sees and recognise the componet shapes.

My current, stalled, build is a Tamiya Chally 1 which has recieved some scratchbuilt parts;-
FuelDrum1.jpg

DSCF3646.jpg

DSCF3631.jpg

DSCF3735.jpg

Not sure if I follow the aim here. Is it a challenge or a workshop to help people scratchbuild?

I think when I used the word Challenge I had in my mind that we would challenge ourselves. I'd take up the challenge to tackle a scratch build. Maybe we should rephrase it.

But in the meantime...

:woohoo: :woohoo:

:notworthy :notworthy

Excellent stuff Dave! I agree with your statement about visualizing what you want to do. I'm stuck on a F4F Wildcat and scratch building the cowling frames. I have this picture in my head of what it should look like but because of some complex curves I just can't pull it off. :idonno

Back