• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Scrap Buggy

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
I have made some scratch build parts in the past but I have never attempted a complete model of something. The Scrapbuggy at work has been calling my name for a while now and I think i'm ready to take it on.

Here's my plan, going to make a little cad drawing of it based on eyeballed measurements. I'll then use that drawing as a template for sheet stock and build up parts from there. Not sure how to do the wheels yet, I remember Master Watanabe-san's lessons on making disk and cranks and whatnot. May attempt that. I think if I can make this work in plastic, i'll try it in brass sheet. :hmmm

scrapbuggy1.jpg

scrapbuggy2.jpg

Sorry for the bad pictures, guess I should have cleaned the lens on my phone.

I'll let y'all know what I come up with. :drinks

That'll come later...:mpup

I think I freaked out the operator of that machine when I took that last one, management has been raising hell about the amount of scrap hoses they have been making, and an overflowing scrapbuggy may make someone jittery. :woohoo:

Cool idea Moon. There was a trash dumpster out back at my work that was so nice and rusty I thought it would make
a neat little scratch building project. But before I got around to taking pics and measurements they replaced it
with a nice shiny (boring) new one.

Ah well, I suppose there are other rusty dumpsters out there.

Tom

I have no idea yet Randy. I guess an eyeball scale. I'm going to draw this out on a CAD and print it out, see how big it looks and go from there. I'm not even sure of the dimensions of the thing. I think the overall length of this is about 4 foot. Those hoses are 6 or 8 inches in diameter.

I think you need to think about adding a Merlin to it! Chain drive of course.

Well we got a picture of a drop tank with Briggs and Sratton drive, sounds like a good project..:mpup

A dump cart?! Sounds interesting... put a little plate across the top, drill holes and install your brushes- you can push them around your table. But you'll need off road tires, I have seen your table...

So I got inspired!

Sat down and dusted off the trusty ol' mind and remembered back on Mr Gill's mechanical drawing class in high school (Remember him Bruce?).

scrapbuggy000.jpg

I'm figuring on the bottom part of the buggy being 4 foot, or 1.5 inches at 1:35 scale (or am I doing 1:32?). I made the bottom panel 4 foot square and built up from there.

scrapbuggy001.jpg

I just can't seem to get the hang of some of the simpler CAD programs, mental hangup no doubt. so I just started drawing with a scriber.I used some pigments to make the lines show up.

scrapbuggy002.jpg

Conneced up the points and transfered those points for the opposite sidewall. I used some pigments to make the lines show up.

scrapbuggy003.jpg

Cut the parts out

scrapbuggy004.jpg

Test fit to see any gaps, none, not bad first time out..but it is square...sort of.

scrapbuggy005.jpg

Glued it up and see that something got out a whack. Not sure but did you see the original pictures?? Those things are trashcans so beat up is fine. I'll trim it up.
scrapbuggy006.jpg

Attempting to add some weld lines.

Well...whatcha think??

Welcome to the world of scratch-building!

That's really all there is to it MP. After this one, you just keep upping the ante each time and before you know it, you can scratch anything you want!

Looks great!

Dad

I looked back on the original picture and I got the side walls wrong, but who cares. These things are built in our Maintenance shop and I guess they could have done one like this.

I got an idea of the wheels.

Thanks Dad and Mike. it really is just a matter of of Just do it! :mpup

I looked back on the original picture and I got the side walls wrong, but who cares. These things are built in our Maintenance shop and I guess they could have done one like this.

I got an idea of the wheels.

Thanks Dad and Mike. it really is just a matter of of Just do it! :mpup

Most things in life are like that MP. So many people are afraid to just take that first step, we've all experienced that. I was raised by my grandmother. a big heavy German woman in her fifties when I grew up, she always drilled it into my head that I can do anything that anyone else can do, I just had to take that first step and never let anything intimidate me.

As a kid, I watched her rebuild a car engine, roof a house, she was an absolutely amazing woman. I owe her.

Dad

(y) (y) great work Bob! the first step is the hardest then it goes easier, and a scrap buggy can look new or really beaten up after a couple of lifts with a forklift etc.
If you continue like this i must start my walker again... :D
//Mats

Back