• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Monogram 1/48 F-111 kit #5815

dollar19

Ok boys I’m jumping into this one late in the game. But my offering has so many short comings being a reboxing of the Aurora effort with a few feeble attempts by Monogram to fix a dog kit, that I’m not going to make a whole lot of dust trying to put lipstick on a pig.
What I will do is assemble it straight from the box paint it and use the kit decals. I bought this way back in the mid 1980s and it been gathering dust since then. I’ve read that if you stand 10 feet away it sort of looks like an aardvark
I’ll have some start up picture up shortly.

h1b418f0.jpg

h65fda1f.jpg

h32e8289.jpg

h0de8f31.jpeg

Shot some paint onto the main gear assembly.

Just a question. Why do my pictures turn sideways when I upload them from my phone using the file attachment widget on the forum.

Uploaded from desktop
hc0402e9.jpg

Not much to say about this so far it's everything that's been said about it. But believe it or not it's been fun, sorta>

Here's some WIP shots. The basic airframe is done, got some sanding and filling to do the it's off to the paint shop.
hd1e853c.jpg

h3926995.jpg

hffc6737.jpg

hb2cf426.jpg

h1637056.jpg

h0ed835f.jpg

h2d3f58a.jpg

That clamp! I had to put some muscle into the mix to close up the fuselage! The alignment pins on this thing were more like pegs. Of course they were bigger than their recieveing holes so I had to cut them off. It was a bit of a struggle to keep everything lined up but I managed to get it together.

I have a coat of black sprayed on the underside that is at the moment drying. I’m about to start masking the canopy and peeping for the topside colors.

I now have a coat of black on the lower side and the canopy masked and Im
in the process of masking off the black. I should have some Tan and green on it before the day is out.

And now several hours and many profanities later......

I'll let this mess dry for a few day and then hit it with some gloss.

Looks great Greg, what paints did you use? I can tell they are Model Masters, can't tell if they are enamel or acrylic.

Man, that looks great in black! Still looks like it's screaming by even standing still! Your camo pattern turned out well despite the difficulties. Way to go!

Thank you gents!
Yes Bob they’re MM enamels. I’m trying to work my way thru the last of my stock.
I’ve got a few assorted bottles live been hoarding and slowly moving over to acrylics sort f the old dog new tricks thing.
Duke, the few masking tape pulled up the black bottom paint in a few spots but that’s an easy fix.

Back