• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revell H-102:600 Nakajima Ki-49 Donryu

sharkman

Master at Arms
I shouldn't but I want to play too!!

This is one of the old Revell Japanese twin engine bomber kits that was released in the early/mid 70's. This particular one was first issued in 1973.

h19fb392.jpg

A few parts off the sprues but everything is there

h9088adf.jpg

hebc3a01.jpg

ha26c0ca.jpg

All of the instructions are in Japanese but they do include a very nice detailed sheet of the multiple different camo schemes you can build for this aircraft. This sheet itself is a work of art, printed on nice paper and the diagrams look like they are painted on the paper.

h49c9a09.jpg

I have heard that Revell had some sort of arrangement with Takara and/or Gunze-Sangyo to make the molds and distribute the kits. Apparently, the original molds may have been on a vessel that sunk on its way back to the US, which is why no re-pops have ever been made. Too bad, it is a very decent kit for its age!

I have not heard that story Warren . You probably know that there is ( or was ) A German Revell and a Japanese Revell .

The Japanese birds were made in Japan and it was before 1983 . I had to hunt mine down through a friend that was stationed in Japan in 1986 .

Looking forward to the build of this dragon as mine is still in the box . :(

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks guys!

I have not heard that story Warren . You probably know that there is ( or was ) A German Revell and a Japanese Revell .

I know about Revell Germany (aren't they still in business?) but had not heard of a Japanese Revell.

I had found this article on Arawasi, mostly dealing with the Ki-21 Sally kit, but as a reference to to other 5 kits made at the time. I got my information mostly from the second paragraph.

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2012/03/whatever-happened-to-sally-and-other.html

Thanks guys!

I know about Revell Germany (aren't they still in business?) but had not heard of a Japanese Revell.

I had found this article on Arawasi, mostly dealing with the Ki-21 Sally kit, but as a reference to to other 5 kits made at the time. I got my information mostly from the second paragraph.

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2012/03/whatever-happened-to-sally-and-other.html

Hard to tell Warren . I do trust what this guy posted. His interest in life seems to be Japanese aviantion.

Back in those days it was always refered to as Revell of Japan but they could have been a susidiary .
At any rate , these companies have ( and still do ) use each others molds or just aquire them outrigh . Case in point the kit I just built was at one time Maniya but the company was purchased by Hasegawa lock stock and barrel.

That was also a time when Hasegawa kits improved greatly : IE the reseced panel lines rather than the raised.

One thing that I have observed is that German an Brit birds seemed to originate from Europe makers and Japanese birds came from the other end of the world.

Nowdays, it has become more diversified .

Cheers, Christian B)

So, I charged right into this kit and completed the interior, added some extra bits from the spares box to enhance it a bit, some sprue for additional interior ribbing and some PE belts, then forgot to take a pic before buttoning it up.

ha6505bc.jpg

h8596ac3.jpg

hd2fe79d.jpg

Also, got the wings together and attached. This is a beautiful little kit, fit is excellent and it has a bit of weight to it for a 1/72 kit.

h09f05bc.jpg

hef76c71.jpg

Darn Mike you stole my line.... :soldier

It seems they were still quite fond of those rivets in that era :S

You go Warren (y) Cheers, Christian B)

Bold Choice, building an old, Classic Revell/Japan airplane model kit!! I applaud your decision!
:salute :eek:ldguy :pilot Take that eBay collectors!! MUHHU HAHA HA haha HA!

Darn Mike you stole my line.... :soldier

It seems they were still quite fond of those rivets in that era :S

You go Warren (y) Cheers, Christian B)

There are A LOT of rivets!! I didn't want to re-scribe the whole thing. The other Japanese Revell I built awhile back, the Yokosuka P1Y, was similar. Haven't decided yet if I like the rivets or not. It certainly is different than the usual engraved panel lines. Maybe if they were less pronounced it may even be more historically accurate?

Bold Choice, building an old, Classic Revell/Japan airplane model kit!! I applaud your decision!
:salute :eek:ldguy :pilot Take that eBay collectors!! MUHHU HAHA HA haha HA!

Yeah, I guess I could have sold it on Ebay for a few $$$. I figure enough people are collecting it as a collectible, I buy kits to build them!

Should have an update this weekend!

Hey Warren . Here's an address that will show you a lot of pictures of a wreckage .

http://www.asisbiz.com/PNG/Nakajima-Ki-49-Hellen.html I think you cold just sand off most of them .

hb8a6850.jpg

h99b900e.jpg

h84edc35.jpg

Cheers, Christian B)

Back