• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Monogram 30 Model A Coupe

Sherman 18

Master at Arms
I'll attempting to build and finish a Monogram 1930 Model A Ford Coupe. Built one years ago. This one I'm going to try something a little different. :hmmm

Out of stash and on the bench
30CoupeAG101.jpg

Open the box and your greeted with a nice shade of green. :sick:
30CoupeAG102.jpg

The kit is pretty basic, The body and interior is wonderful. The rest is well basic.
30CoupeAG103.jpg

30CoupeAG104.jpg

30CoupeAG105.jpg

30CoupeAG106.jpg

30CoupeAG107.jpg

30CoupeAG108.jpg

30CoupeAG109.jpg

30CoupeAG110.jpg

30CoupeAG111.jpg

30CoupeAG112.jpg

30CoupeAG113.jpg

30CoupeAG114.jpg

30CoupeAG115.jpg

Start off picture
30CoupeAG117.jpg

Spent this afternoon digging for parts. I found most in an old project I just can't get into anymore. I'm not 100% set on drive train but more than likely it will be out of Revell's 64 Ford Thunderbolt. That's the best kit for 60's Ford drag racing parts I think. The wheels are from the Revell Willys Gasser Coupe (an AWESOME kit by the way) and Revell's 32 Ford 3 Window Coupe. I might not use the stock radiator that comes in the kit, so I'll probably stealing parts from Revell's Model Tudor Sedan kit then. I know I'm going to scratching some parts for this, like fire wall, floor, frame brackets and there will be more. I'm not sure what seats will be used yet.

Yeah I'm going A/G Gasser. I will be making it to the NHRA Gasser class rules of the 1960's. Gasser classes were for street cars. The classes were broke down by cubic inch to vehicle weight. If the engine had a "power" add such a supercharger the car is put into the next class up. "A" was the top (later AA) and it goes down by letter. Lowest I have seen is X class. There really is no rules other than safety and the "big rules." Pretty simple.

The big rules are;
Enclosed production body (Coupes, Sedans and enclosed Pickups)
Must be able to drive on streets (lights,registration, etc)
Must have seats (passenger too, the reason why the seats don't match a little jump seat was okay)
Must have stock fenders
Must have stock exhaust or muffled exhaust
Must be stock wheel base
No more than 10% engine set back (any early body car, like Model A that's a lost cause)

As I understand it, any of the above not followed your car would be labeled an Altered and could not be in a Gasser class. To confuse us looking at pictures of the era some people would run different Gasser classes with the same car at different tracks. Then to confuse us some more they would things like remove the front sheet metal and or fenders then run an altered class. To add to this you'll see altered cars with card board fenders or body modifications running Gasser classes. As that was allowed sometimes for one race only.

Now from what I've read also talking to people who ran and/or drove cars in these classes. The big rules were broken a lot and depended on the inspector(s) at a track.

Believe it or not the Gasser class rule are the basic NHRA rules used today. As for open cars, Roadsters and sport cars. Same rules only change is for "open" and "sport." Open cars ran in Street Roadster and sports cars in sport car. Sport car classes would mix some years and not other years.

Gassers/Street Roadster generally sat higher in front for weight transfer. A lot of shoe box (50's) cars would run straight axles for weight saving. The look is called "Gasser" today. Which many cars called Gasser today can't meet the rules of the Gasser era.

It will kind of have this look
Coupe_05.jpg

Coupe_04.jpg

Coupe_01.jpg

Coupe_30.jpg

Coupe_32.jpg

Pile of parts
30CoupeAG116.jpg

The start of vision
30CoupeAG100.jpg

Oh man an old school gasser Can you imagine trying to steer this beast at speed with those thin front tyres :woohoo:

:popcorn

Gonna be cool!

h6d1dab6.jpg

Right on Terry!

That is almost what I've been thinking about since Sunday. A guy here was running a Hot Rod/Boy Shop out in county until April. He moved closer to his wife's family. But I would go and hang out. :pinch: I mean take a break there. When he moved, the shop he bought came with a stock Model T touring and '30 Model A Enclosed Pickup. Both stock both runners. Since then he has been trying to unload them and every couple weeks he would text me and say "Hey you know this pickup is pretty nice and a lot of fun to drive. I'd think what, I sold you my 53 and 56 pickups to help fund my car. On Sunday we were texting back and forth about the new Discovery TV show on a shop here in Kansas. He had been trying to sell himself/shop for more realistic car building program now and while he was here. The dude hits me with a price on that A that was good. A couple hundred above what I told him it was worth. I know he was losing money as he paid double what I would have. Well I started thinking wow maybe I should break into the "Oh no" fund. Of course I started thinking what I would do with it. One of the day dreams was a Hot Rod with no fenders and chopped top. Glad I didn't jump as he sold it yesterday for his asking price. Must have been picking up the vibs. (y)

I did get most of the molded on parts off the frame along with first coat of putty. Started on sanding and filling body.

Frame shots
30CoupeAG118.jpg

30CoupeAG119.jpg

30CoupeAG120.jpg

Filled punch out marks on the fenders/running boards
30CoupeAG121.jpg

Removed a pin for a step
30CoupeAG122.jpg

The molding of the rubber on the running boards is nice
30CoupeAG123.jpg

Upper body has some sink marks
30CoupeAG124.jpg