• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Monogram 0726 - Alan Kulwicki Thunderbird

ij001

This is my second entry, and it's 'special' on two levels. First as you can see it's one of a limited release of just 5000 units, and more importantly, our very own Sherman 18 (Jeff Riedsdel) sent this to me for gratis on condition that I build it and not just sit it on the shelf :notworthy ... Can't think of a better reason to go-for-it.

h93a6853.jpg

h50f73c3.jpg

Ian.

Neat...cool side story...I KNEW ALAN KULWICKI! My dad was from Mooresville, NC, and one of the brothers, after mustering our of the service post-WW2 (may have been a BIL, come to think of it), opened the NAPA auto parts store in Moorseville, and he sold parts to all the 60's-70's NASCAR guys, back when it was very small, so they were just guys, some of which had side jobs to support their families. Anyway, he also had a place on Lake Norman, and many times in the summer we would go there and play with "the neighbor's kids", one of whom was Alan Kulwicki. (FWIW, Ned Jarrett pulled us in an inflatable behind his boat). this was when we were ages 6-10, so you are talking 1969-1973 or so, and IIRC Alan was older than myself by a good 6 years, but was still nice to us. Anyway, I had a lot of memories of playing with him. Years, like decades, go by. Now, it is 1987. Thru some guys at work I get free tickets to Darlington and in trade I am the sober driver (which means I earned those tickets many times over) and we are walking thru the vendor area so early that they are still setting up, and one of the guys, already half-pickled, sees Alan and LOUDLY points him out, reminding me & everyone within earshot that I played with Kulwicki when I was a kid. As Alan is giving one of the guys an autograph I give him my story and Alan asks, "What kind of bike did I ride?" I tell him "Custom red/white paint, banana seat...and you still have my silver corvette Matchbox."

Needless to say, for that ONE day, I was king (well, adopted Prince really, but close as I'll ever get). I got to meet the whole crew, sit with Alan and tour all around, I even got to see his motorhome and meet some super-model-lookin' GF or Wife of his, don't remember which. I DO remember she was so pretty it was intimidating. For the next two years I had free Nascar tickets to Darlington with pit passes mailed to my home from his press office. I sent the family a card when he passed, but by then all the extended members of my fam. except two were gone from Moorseville.

Sorry for this being so long. I will obviously be watching this with great interest

Will follow closely since the last car model I built was also my first model ever ( in 1970 and I was 5) and need to figure out how before I do the Ford.

:popcorn

Thanks all... Bruce, what a memoir, seriously thank you for sharing it.

Like the le Mans 'Vette I won't be starting it for a while. Will be buying Mike Hermans Powerslide sheet to go with it as the kit decals can behave badly. Start-up pics in due course after the current slew of projects are off the bench.

Ian.

This will be great. I'll follow this.

Bruce that is an awesome story and I'm thrilled that you got to enjoy this great man's company and friendship. That makes following this build even more poignant for me too.

h2e2d544.jpg

This car is at the Winston museum up in Salem... don't think I'll be able to get there any time soon, no matter it is the same (93) car I'll be building.

Ian.

You must be the only englishman in the world that loves Nascar mate :popcorn

Ha !!, every time I go to the 'States someone says that to me. I'm pretty sure it isn't true though, Dave. When I'm really in to my car building - like now - I find NASCAR builds so relaxing and rewarding because only the paint and body shapes change... the rest of the process is (virtually) identical from kit to kit.

Next build is almost ready for paint which will be challenging but you'll see that in a week or so.

Ian.

Ordered the Powerslide decals from Mike Herman on Monday so they should be with me in about seven working days. I suppose you could say it was 'overkill' buying a decal sheet that's as expensive as the kit is, but I want to do it 'right' and Powerslide decals are about the best in their class, so...

More soon.

Ian.

Decals still on the way, but no matter since there's a little more space on my bench this evening, here's my start-up photo's.

h0249737.jpg

h573f492.jpg

Stay tuned.

Ian.

Started on the bodyshell this morning. After prepping the main shell with Tamiya a 1K sanding pad and a lot of water, I added the '93 nose, rear bumper and tail spoiler once they were set, I filled the (pretty good) join lines with Squadron super-fine then wet sanded it with a couple of sticks then the 1K pad again.

hf9f9c58.jpg

hb79422a.jpg

h91a26c1.jpg

h20f741f.jpg

I shot a couple of passes with Tamiya (aerosol) primer to check an found the joint to just about perfect. This afternoon, I've made a start on the interior cage, block & transmission and the rear suspension/axle.

More tomorrow.

Ian.

I love it! I keep trying the same sanding principles on my shiny aircraft. So far, I haven't had this kind of success.

Back