• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Randy's Panther

randy_ditton

Master at Arms
Hi Everyone, I'm jumping in with Dragons 1/72 Panther G kit. Will build this OOB and attempt my first KO'd tank :S

024-4.jpg

023-5.jpg

Wow, judging by everyone's progress I better get going!

Randy

Oh Cool pick Randy , if my little sister had not joined that is exactly the kit I would have done . The figures should be very cool too :) , looking forward to seeing some progress but you have heaps of time ;) .

Jenny :kiss:

That looks like a nice kit Randy. Are the figures well done? The old Dragon Panther I'm building is badly designed.

Ted

Some progress to report......

Jenny, When the price finally came down to reasonable, I thought this was a no brainer. You get get some cool figs and a tank for free :)

On the positive side the figures are really great!!

I slapped this one together with some rubber cement so I could post some pics, no cleanup done yet, but I think you can see the fine detailing.....

016-12.jpg

018-8.jpg

Got started on the panther...there are a ton of parts in the box and in typical Dragoon practice you don't use half of them.

I will say that the instruction sheet has to be the most worthless thing I have ever seen. Oh well, this little guy is not too complicated, right???

As I stated earlier this is going to be OOB with any upgrades being scratched. The kit comes with some nice photo etch screens for the engine deck and the main gun barrel is a plastic one piece casting that is really fine so those spots that normally would need AM upgrades are taken care of.

One of the things that intrigued me about this kit is the cast on zimmerit and while I'm no expert on german armor, it looks pretty good to me in most areas.

The hull is a three piece affair with a top, bottom, and rear panel. The suspension is all molded on.

019-9.jpg

020-3.jpg

021-4.jpg

The turret is two main pieces, with the back seperate, then you build up the manlet and barrel....

002-24.jpg

005-21.jpg

First real changes come here with the side pieces being thinned down and the escape hatch(?) being drilled out...

006-23.jpg

005-20.jpg

003-28.jpg

I'm not real happy with the hull rear panel, the zimmerit casting here seems a little soft....

007-16.jpg

I might carve off the boxes and make new ones or use the other end panel in the kit and add my own zimmerit.....

010-18.jpg

Got to think about this one.....

Will post more soon, Randy

Ted, The fit so far on this kit is pretty poor with gaps on most parts. On the positive side the molding is usually good.

Randy

Thanks Ian, Glad you like it so far....

Most of my time on this project has been spent thinning the various kit parts so they look a little better.....

This will be a KO'd kitty so working on some damage to whells and hull......

008-19.jpg

010-19.jpg

004-22.jpg

014-12.jpg

The turret gets some work with the back side hatch getting opnened up and a cover and hinge being built up......

006-24.jpg

004-23.jpg

008-20.jpg

That is all for now , gotta run and get more on this!!!!

Randy

A big thank you to Terry and Johnny !

Really running out of time here.......

Replaced some of the kit parts with some homemade stuff....

014-13.jpg

006-26.jpg

006-25.jpg

The kit has really nice looking screens......

002-25.jpg

Time to get some paint on this little kitty!!!

003-29.jpg

011-17.jpg

012-12.jpg

024-5.jpg

Damaged area....

013-11.jpg

014-14.jpg

A small base......

028-6.jpg

029-2.jpg

030-2.jpg

036-2.jpg

032-4.jpg

I don't like the blocks, probably go with some brickwork if I have time!

Back to work......Randy

Great googali moogali would you look at that :blink .

That is absolutley fantastic work. With all the scratch building you did, combined with that paint job this looks just amazing :notworthy (y) :D .

Gary B)

Re:Randy's Panther **Update 5/29/10

Thank you for commenting Johnny and Gary :)

Time is getting real short so here is a update on the base...

008-21.jpg

014-15.jpg

009-19.jpg

Still more junk to come for the base, got to hurry now!!

Randy

Back