• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Build #3 - Tornado GR4

ij001

Yep number three:

h1549ed1.jpg

h9a3bc26.jpg

h5241a2c.jpg

In March the RAF will be the first Air Force to retire the IDS (mud moving) version of the incredible Panavia Tornado. That in-mind I've decided to build my Italeri kit as an 'Operation Ellamy' (Libya 2011) GR4. Lots of bits from the Revell GR4 kit, loadout from a Revell Rafale and decals from Xtradecal.

hf027dd8.jpg

Hopefully when I'm done it will look a little like this one (blasting-off from Malta on 'actual' operations). Should be a relatively quick build, so stay tuned folks, as ever comments questions and criticisms are more than welcome.

Ian.

Three sessions in, and I've built (but not filled) the rear fuselage, Finished the pit and sandwiched it into the forward fuselage and built-up all of the sub-assemblies.

Knew it would be a quick build ! - filling and blending it all together is another story tho':

hd825188.jpg

h848f27d.jpg

h48bc581.jpg

All Tamiya acrylics here, none of my usual Eduard pre-painted etch. Not bad for a middle aged bloke with sausage fingers and less-then-perfect vision, eh ?. Not sure about all the colours of the switches, but the canopy will be closed anyways, so won't be too obvious if there's an error or two.

h56b671f.jpg

h5899643.jpg

h2845072.jpg

Radome in the kit is about .75mm too big all around the circumference so I added a couple of spreaders from plastic strip, filler will take care of anything more.

Stay tuned.

Ian.

Yep more building has occurred !

h656c054.jpg

heda8861.jpg

h35ae509.jpg

Some of the fit is frustrating to say the least. A lot of the details are questionable, but, man, Italeri know how to mold a crystal clear canopy !

h6892578.jpg

Getting close to joining-up the two fuselage sections now. Am I looking forward to the filler-fest to follow - no, no I'm absolutely not. :java

Ian.

Back