• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Lightning - Build #1 * *DONE* *

ij001

h9aa5126.jpg

hf632054_2018-03-31.jpg

So just to be clear... nobody's surprised, right ?? :idonno - not got all the bits I need - still need to buy a resin seat, a (Master) pitot and probably some Eduard masks. Won't need a Zoom set for the 'pit as I'm going to have the lid closed and I know there isn't too much to see with it all closed-up.

Extras I already have are Aeroclub 'white metal' (lead) nose ring & shock cone, wheels and 111 Sqn decals. There may be more hiding in the box too, I'll need to check. Will be building it as an F.3 with the small tank, straight wings and squared-off fin tip (just like the photo).

Formal start-up pics as and when.

AFN

Ian.

h6b42d3e_2018-08-29-2.jpg

Lightning

Did Airfix do a re-box of this kit? I have one in their new red box. :hmmm
:popcorn

Yep, both this (the original kit) and the F.2A/F.6 have been re-bpxed a couple of times. Same plastic just different decals.

Just ordered the rest of my extras from Hannants in the UK, they'll probably arrive here when I'm over in the USA in a couple of weeks, so I'll be able to hit the ground running once I do start to cut plastic. TBH this was on my 'to-do' list for this year so building it for the campaign has simply moved the time-line forward.

Ian.

(Hmmmm, wonder what I could do as a second build... :idonno )

h6b42d3e.jpg

Lightning

Well, I'll be paying close attention then. Not going to commit to this campaign, just have too many things on the bench right now. Don't need another aborted campaign start. :unsure:

:popcorn

Lightning - Build #1

Sweet! I have a couple Lightnings to do for this as well. Gonna have to sort through my stash....

Lightning - Build #1

So the Ferrari and the Sea Knight are both ready for decals and finishing-off, and there's nothing else on the horizon just now, so it is time to open the ma-hooo-sive box and check that I have everything that I need for this one.

Start-up next week, stay tuned, folks. :v

Ian.

h6b42d3e_2018-08-09.jpg

Lightning - Build #1

It's begun:

h1a473c4.jpg

Start-up pic, of course I forgot to put a date on it... y'all are going to have to trust me :bat

h9b08638.jpg

Refs:

he79b6c0.jpg

Decals - these are all Aeroclub sheets, a small cottage industry virtually unknown outside the UK. Not even sure that they are still in business.

h5322502.jpg

Extras - the nose-ring and radar pod are solid 'white metal' (lead) castings again by Aeroclub.

h0ba6433.jpg

The plastic - yes it is two-tone - a legacy of buying from an eBay trader many, many years ago ! :eek:ldguy

Stay tuned everyone, this is going to be a lightning-fast build (see what I did there ?), it'll be ready for paint very soon indeed, even with all those extra bits'n bobs. Have a great weekend everyone.

Ian.

h6b42d3e_2018-08-10.jpg

Lightning - Build #1

The Lightening certainly is a unique looking aircraft, with the way the wing tips were done it looks like a delta wing with notches removed next to the fuselage. Looking forward to what you do with it :popcorn

Lightning - Build #1

I got two photos of the Lightning while at Hendon, thing was so big hard to get a good shot there. Will post if interested but you probably have better references.

Lightning - Build #1

Ooooohhhh cool. I've always found this an interesting a/c. I'll watch with interest. :popcorn
James

Lightning - Build #1

I got two photos of the Lightning while at Hendon, thing was so big hard to get a good shot there. Will post if interested but you probably have better references.

You can never have enough Lightning photos !!!!

Ian.

h6b42d3e_2018-08-29-3.jpg

Back