• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Unto the next generation

Barney

I am introducing my grandson to our obsession. He is Mad for military vehicles. Who makes the easiest to build?

I would love to find some aurora kits, but who's got $100 for an Aurora Kit?

Polar Lights and Moebius are re releasing a lot of the Aurora kits, including a bunch of new improved versions of the Famous Monsters and TV characters in the Aurora vein: Star Trek, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Lost In Space, Munsters, on and on.

If you can be more specific of what you're looking for in military, ie WWII, modern, AC, armor, ships, etc. there are a whole host of great inexpensive kits for kids to build.

Looking for armor of the easy build kind. I have several easy to acft. but want a few tanks, since he likes trucks and cars etc.

I just introduced a friend to military 1/35 scale model building. He too wants simplt to build kits. I recommend the older Tamiya kits or the Academy clones of them.

I must say that I prefer the Tamiya instructions. That's both for clarity of building but also because Tamiya often includes a detailed blurb. The details might even show the proposed organization of the vehicle within the combat unit. Also the early Tamiya figure sets are very inexpensive for a young person to work on, are solid so that conversions are easy (how many of us got started converting figures by cutting apart Tamiya ones and then reassembling them) and are often in better combat poses than the newer figures that seem to be mostly in relaxed at rest poses.

Cheers

Depending on the child's age, patience, your budget, and display space once completed:

Italeri's Alzo-Zero wargame approved 1/72nd scale model tanks are very easy build with play value, many have two per box, can be used with a war game as the child grows older.
Autocannone-Italeri-box1.jpg

They have a more advanced boxing (about $25USD) with tools and paints along with a reference CD for their "My First Model" series:
3015_0-auto_downl.jpg

2461_1_ita12005_1.jpg

There are also learning models from Lindberg and Minicraft.

Regards,

Back