• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

BoB Spitfire Mk.Ia - FINISHED!

Flyingbabydoc

Hello dear friends,

I have always been fascinated by the Spitfire (who hasn't?) and by the Battle of Britain. In 2010 I watched the BBC production with Ewan McGregor and among the interviews was that of a Pilot from the 92.Squadron in Biggin Hill, SQL Geoffrey Wellum. He had not only been the youngest member of the Squadron (only 18 in 1940!) but also he had written his Memoires in a very interesting book:

hc07235e.jpg

This book was later turned into a miniseries from the BBC which I highly recommend:

hf2bdab6.jpg

More about the biography of Wellum can be found in this great Spitfire Website to which I contribute:

http://allspitfirepilots.org/pilots/2100-geoffrey-wellum

Unfortunately Mr. Wellum passed away last July at the Age of 96, one of the last remaining BoB pilots.

In his honor I am planning on building two of his BoB airplanes. The most famous, K9998 (QJ-K) was his preferred airplane at the height of the BoB. The Spitfire Mk.II of the Battle of Britain Memorial flight (P7350) uses the markings of this airplane:

h368784c.jpg

The second one was an alternative airplane, X4330 (QJ-G) which he used when QJ-K was banged up by a Bf.109 over the channel.

I will be assemblying K9998 using a comprehensive Aires Resin Detail set, including the Merlin Engine, Machine Guns and Ccokpit - with the Tamiya 1/72 Spit Mk. I.
As for X4430 I will use the Airfix with PE Details and Flaps from Eduard. Hopefully I will be able to assemble them into a nice Little Diorama.

Here are the preliminary Photos. Wish me luck!

Cheers

Alex

h39d0eef.JPG

hf7af26e.JPG

hbd9f964.JPG

hc732af9.JPG

h51bc58f.JPG

hef941ac.JPG

hb78ede3.JPG

h577d782.JPG

BoB Spitfire Mk.Ia - Sqn. Leader Geoffrey Wellum

Thanks Bob.

I am really excited about this Project. I saw once a similar Project on a Special issue of Wingmasters dedicated to the BoB, and ever since I promised that if i would try one of These it would be Wellum's plane.

Can you imagine? 18 years old and sitting on a Spitfire Cockpit being bombed in Biggin Hill? I really admire this guy.

Cheers

Alex

Dear Alex.

Very nice subject!...I liked very much of the story of this pilot!...following with full attention :eek:ldguy

Best regards!

Luiz.

Dear Alex.

Very nice subject!...I liked very much of the story of this pilot!...following with full attention :eek:ldguy

Best regards!

Luiz.

Thank you very much Luiz.

I hope I can do it justice.

I was on call last night and since I was being pestured constantly, I lost my sleep and went to the bench. I am actually quite pleased with the results so far:

h7282370.JPG

The Cockpit:

he541d54.JPG

hce3da6b.JPG

hce3da6b_2018-11-07.JPG

Guns:

h1578cb4.JPG

h492c1b1.JPG

As for the Merlin Engine, you can see here the sequence of painting and assembly. I am really happy with it:

hfec26d9.JPG

h798a7e7.JPG

h9d7e1ab.JPG

hdcea1cf.JPG

h628d484.JPG

h082f152.JPG

Cheers,

Alex

Still a bit more of free time and I could get the engine done with the Propeller. Hope you like it.

h4304a64.JPG

h4552891.JPG

h0539e2a.JPG

hd6781e4.JPG

h84b26d7.JPG

hd79dd29.JPG

For sure, Alex!...I am enjoying it a lot...Fast and good job my friend :eek:ldguy

Luiz

Your interior detail work is always excellent Alex! Looking good! (y)

Thank you Luiz and Paul

It really Looks good to me. I will try my best not to screw up the exterior. Promise.

Cheers

Alex

Got some more time and now I am moving on with the build.

I have never ever done so much sanding, filling and adjusting in my life. Working with Resin is no small challenge.

This is the Progress.

Cheers

Alex

h0c3a7c0.JPG

h73767b6.JPG

h32fbd4f.JPG

h29cb49c.JPG

h31a5bba.JPG

h43d0a05.JPG

Got some more time and now I am moving on with the build.

I have never ever done so much sanding, filling and adjusting in my life. Working with Resin is no small challenge.

This is the Progress.

Cheers

Alex

h0c3a7c0.JPG

h73767b6.JPG

h32fbd4f.JPG

h29cb49c.JPG

h31a5bba.JPG

h43d0a05.JPG

She's looking swell Dr. Alex! :popcorn

Very intricate work Alex . Hope it all fits together in the end (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks again all of you.

Believe it or not master Christian it’s coming along well and everything is fitting. I have muscle cramps from so much sanding and I had to get one of those anti-tuberculosis masks to avoid the dust coming into my lungs but it is working.

I hope to have more for you in the next few days. This chairmanship sucks the time out of the day.

Have a good week y’all

Cheers

Alex

Thanks again all of you.

Believe it or not master Christian it’s coming along well and everything is fitting. I have muscle cramps from so much sanding and I had to get one of those anti-tuberculosis masks to avoid the dust coming into my lungs but it is working.

I hope to have more for you in the next few days. This chairmanship sucks the time out of the day.

Have a good week y’all

Cheers

Alex

:rotf Had to chuckle over the cramps but I'm happy to read that you found something to help with your breathing issues .

I generally find after market kits don't seem to fit in 1/72 . Some are too small and other too large.
I guess if they actually fit, there wouldn't be much challenge left :bang head .

Cheers, Christian B)

Wow, I commend you on your bravery in tackling a resin model. I generally stay away from them as I tend to cut myself deeply every time I work on one. That being said, I'll be starting a resin conversion kit soon. You're doing great job Alex, keep it up man!

Thank you so much my friends..

Right you are Christian... They are too small or too big but then where would the challenge be? :fencing

However,

IT FIT!!! IT FIT!!!!

I cannot believe but after sanding most of the model away things actually got into place. I am ecstatic. I hope it goes on smoothly further, since I have cursed more in this Phase than in any other model before.

See for yourself.

Nice Weekend everyone!

Cheers

Alex

h0e6a8d7.JPG

h54bc269.JPG

h1843bf9.JPG

hce731e2.JPG

h4544d78.JPG

h892b87d.JPG

Back