• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

AMPS Central SC Show: This Saturday, 16 July, 2011

SdAufKla

Just a reminder for anyone in the southeastern region of the US (in particularly - SC, GA, NC, TN, and FL), AMPS Central South Carolina "Wildcats" is hosting our first AMPS sanctioned show this Saturday, 16 July, 2011.

This one-day show will be held in Lexington, SC (just outside the Metro-Columbia area). Registration opens at 9 am.

Complete details, to include registration forms, categories, awards, etc. can be found on our website:

www.ampscentralsouthcarolina.org

Questions can be sent to:

info@ampscentralsouthcarolina.org

Hope to see yall there!

Mike Roof
Chapter Contact

Hey Mike, thinks for sharing this. Mike Chris and I are planning on going. Just make sure they have the AC fired up!!!

MOONIE,

:drinks :ro: I wish I could make it Brotha' !! Take plenty o' pix ! What do you plan on taking ? Also ... If you get th Chance .. sit in th Judges Pit , it's not necessary if you have never judged AMPS style. You'll get th hang of it .

PANZERVOR !!

:drinks

Erik we're planning on pillaging the vendor tables and check out the entires. I'm not entering anything, don't want to I think Joey is working on something, that's why he hasn't been around much, he's behind the 8ball.

I'm sure Mike will have his camera in hand.

Erik, we'll miss ya hoss, but maybe next time! We'll take plenty of pics, though, 'cause you know if there's no pictures, it never happened! :hmmm

Moonie, you guys are welcome, entries or no. Looting and pillaging the vendors is not only allowed, but highly encouraged! If yer feeling lucky, buy a few raffle tickets, too.

Like Erik says, we can always use more help in the judging pits. If you or anyone else wants to hack-in, no experience is needed. We'll hook you you up with an experienced Table Captain, so no worries. There'll be a dry-erase board by the registration area and all you need to do is write your name down for any open judging shift.

This invite to participate in the judging is open to everyone, so anyone else out there in M-A Land who'd like to get involved, don't hesitate to sign up too.

Finally, we're presenting an AMPS Judges' Certification seminar (presented by the AMPS National Chief Judge, Mike Petty) this Friday evening, 6-8 pm. Anyone who would like to attend can send me an email at:

info@ampscentralsouthcarolina,org or a PM here on M-A.

I'll be happy to send you the details and get you on the attendance roster.

Safe travels,
Mike

Hiya Mike! Sounds like a fun time, looking forward to taking loads of pix and meeting you fellas! As far as the looting and pillaging, we go by the pirate's code "Take what ya can, give nothin' back!"
Can't wait!

Sad to report that only a fraction of the SOB Model Club were able to make it to the show today. PhantomII reported to sick call, hope he feels better soon but I think he's going to be more sick when he reads Iron Mike's report. Car trouble forced the Dukwhunter to abort mission at the initial rally point (the Cracker Barrel) but Iron Mike was able to proceed as planned arriving at the designated second rally point(Casa de Dogwood) right on time. After adjusting the schedule, Mike and I proceeded to the location of the pillaging of vendors.

Dead reckoning navigation (I reckon' it's over here..I reckon this is the road) got us on site with plenty of time to spare and the hall was already full. After advance recon of the vendor tables I sniped an Academy 1:72 scale B17b kit. I taunted Mike after spying on of the big 1:16 (?) King Tiger kits sitting on the floor, I think that box had wheels on it to help carry it out. But he resisted well enough.

As we made the turn to the other side of the hall, I saw what I have been looking for for years, Tamiya 1:6 scale Harley Davidson FLH Black Flash. After threatening the walk of the plank (not really, just haggling) with the vendor, I got a great deal and we loaded out our booty in the pickup truck and returned to view the contestant entries. I'll let Mike post his pictures of the stuff we saw.

We left the show in route to Jackie Hites BBQ in Batesburg-Leesville SC. They were closed...week after the Forth of July week I guess. OK, no problem, we went on down the road a piece to Shealy's BBQ...they were closed...week after the Forth of July you now, oh well, BBQ denied. So it was cut our losses time and head on down to Augusta to the most well stocked LHS in the tri state area. Hobbytown on Bobby Jones, (tell Dave I sent ya)...

After stopping for Wings and coldbeer in Augusta, we proceeded to LHS, as we pulled in the parking lot we notice the windows were dark...no cars out front..."Are they closed???" Week after the 4th ya' know?" I was not detoured and went ahead and parked the truck, with all confidance I went to rattle the door, thankfully it was unlocked, Dave had just forgotten to turn the sign on. Arrggg...we woudl have strung him up if he had been closed.

I picked up some Vallejo Model Air set, Luft colors, 16 of those little bottles... :pilot Mike got some targets, I'll let Mike report on those.

Really had a good time, wish the other guys could have made it, maybe next time.

Hey Bob, funny you should mention the week of the 4 th. Up here, everything is closed the week of...Glad the shop was opened as it would have been tough to string up Dave had he been at the beach also...!

Cheers, Christian B)

OK, would have made him walk the plank...arrgg...really did miss you Chris, you would have had fun at the show. Can't wait for Mike's pictures.

Well it sounds like despite the hiccups you had a great day you lucky buggers. I was at work thinking of ya all.

James

Pictures, did I hear someone say pictures??

There were cars

IMG_4326.jpg

IMG_4327.jpg

IMG_4330.jpg

Boats

IMG_4345.jpg

Planes

IMG_4336.jpg

IMG_4349.jpg

IMG_4344.jpg

IMG_4380.jpg

And of course, TANKS!!!!

IMG_4349.jpg

IMG_4348.jpg

IMG_4350.jpg

IMG_4352.jpg

IMG_4353.jpg

IMG_4354.jpg

IMG_4356.jpg

IMG_4358.jpg

IMG_4359.jpg

IMG_4360.jpg

IMG_4361.jpg

IMG_4362.jpg

IMG_4363.jpg

IMG_4365.jpg

IMG_4367.jpg

IMG_4368.jpg

IMG_4369.jpg

IMG_4370.jpg

IMG_4371.jpg

IMG_4373.jpg

IMG_4376.jpg

This one's for you, Andy!

IMG_4377.jpg

IMG_4378.jpg

IMG_4382.jpg

IMG_4383.jpg

IMG_4385.jpg

IMG_4386.jpg

IMG_4388.jpg

IMG_4389.jpg

IMG_4390.jpg

IMG_4391.jpg

IMG_4395.jpg

IMG_4400.jpg

IMG_4401.jpg

IMG_4403.jpg

IMG_4404.jpg

Whew! Loads of good builds, the judging was done as the entries came in, so we missed a lot of them.

IMG_4392.jpg

IMG_4384.jpg

It's been a long day, but except for the casualties, it was a good day!! :mpup

Thanks for the hospitality, Mike Roof, it was a good show! I guess I should add that my wife just rolled her eyes when I told her about the close encounter with the Trumpeter 1/16 King Tiger, so I guess passing was a good thing! :D

Fantastic Mike. Some excellent stuff there. Dont mean to be a jerk, but I probably am, the only one that turned me off was the gun in the small building which I assume is a chapel.
James

Fantastic Mike. Some excellent stuff there. Dont mean to be a jerk, but I probably am, the only one that turned me off was the gun in the small building which I assume is a chapel.
James

James we were wondering just how the gun was suppose to get inside the building.

IMG_4330.jpg

This finish is amazing! Truly a mirror finish.

Thanks for the hospitality, Mike Roof, it was a good show!...

Hey, Mike, it was great to finally meet you guys! Sorry about the transportation troubles while you were enroute, but glad you found some good loot!

We were happy with the overall results and enjoyed putting the show on, so maybe we can all do it again next year.

Happy modeling,

Mike Roof
Chapter Contact
AMPS Central SC

PS: Great pictures! Thanks for posting them so quick!

ROCK-On !!

'Xept for th BBQ , sounds like it was a successful mission ??

Congrats to all of th WInners. The Armor was lookn' pretty Cool !!

A Very Cool finish on that Dragster ! Fo-Shizzle !

IRON MIKE - Thanx for sharing th Pix & thanx to MOONIE for th Color Commentary !! :drinks

MIKE ROOF - Congrats on th 1st. of Many S.C. AMPS shows !!!

:ro:

I'm hoping you'll do it again! Only suggestion would be to advertise the aircraft classes, lost a couple entrants because they didn't see any categories. Otherwise, well done!! (y)

I'm hoping you'll do it again! Only suggestion would be to advertise the aircraft classes, lost a couple entrants because they didn't see any categories. Otherwise, well done!! (y)

Hi Mike,

I'll pass that suggestion on to the SCMA folks. The aircraft classes were part of their side of the show. On the AMPS (that is, the Armor Modeling and Preservation Society) side, we only registered the regular categories that are provided for in the AMPS rules, and promotion of each of the two shows was the responsibility of the respective clubs.

When pigs and tanks can fly, then I'm sure AMPS will add those categories :woohoo:

However, in their defense, the SCMA guys did list those A/C classes on their web site. I do think they were a bit surprised (pleasently) that they got so many participants and models. Don't quote these numbers, the exact figures might be a bit different, but I believe that last year the SCMA club only had about 130 total models. This year, they registered over 300! They had a lot (A LOT!) more participation from non-automotive model builders this year than last.

Maybe next year they'll add a few more "other-than-automotive" classes given the level and variety of participation. You can find their web site at: http://scmodelers.com/

I believe there are some contacts listed there, and I'm 100% sure they would love to get feedback from the folks who attended. Personally, I believe that they would do pretty good if they added some more classes to their side of the show to accomodate the aircraft, nautical and sci-fi modelers.

Thanks again for coming; we're definitely planning on an encore preformance next year!

Mike Roof
Chapter Contact
AMPS Central SC

Back