• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Looks like AEF shut down

Sherman 18

Master at Arms
http://www.aefdesigns.com/

Well it looks like my friend shut down. :eek:hmy: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I'm now thinking I should drive over and kick his A$$.

Mite be a road trip sunday.........................................

sounds like you lost money... sorry to hear that. Trust me, the resin he would've sent you is insulting and you would have still lost the money.

Regards,

Well, I hope you can get the masters and sell them to someone who can cast them properly.

Regards,

Thanks James

I'm just really dumb founded to be honest. I spent a lot of time working with him doing molds, rebuilding masters and some internet research. I told him a couple of years ago to let it go, take a break and if the fire was still there restart. I hope that is what this is.

It gets me. I wanted to buy AEF a number of times in the 90's. It never worked out for a number of things.

I'm going to go and talk to him or try to on sunday. I want answers.

Jeff,

I am being my usual blunt self. Indulge me. When you speak to Tony, remind him of the conversations you have had in the past. If he is taking a break, he needs to start a NEW company (actually, you should start the company) if control of the molds is to remain with either of you.

The problems were not with the masters in most cases. Accuracy issues were understandable for the time when the subjects were released. Updating the masters and creating new molds does entitle the company to claim newer product.

The BIGGEST issue was the casting. Quick & Dirty should never be thought of as a way to do business. Incomplete castings, bubbles, using molds past retirement, a lack of quality control all ensure the only customers are those that did not read any of the warnings on the forums or romantically think 'that was then, this is now' and all will be well.

The masters are worth something. The products are unique. If nothing else, sell them to a company that can cast well, Verlinden Productions comes to mind. Whether you (or Tony) own the molds, getting the casting done properly will go a long way.

FYI, I mentioned Verlinden since I believe I understand the philosophy behind their releases. It seems they are aiming at the average modeler with a product that the modelers sees and believes they can achieve. Therefore the product gets used.

Be honest, how many have a fabulously intricate, complex, beautiful kit/conversion/update/figure which is put aside for another time when we believe our skills are up to it? I know I haven't tried painting any of my Alpine/Bravo 6/Evolution/et al for that reason. If Verlinden's marketing is aimed at avoiding that, they have succeeded. Getting modelers to try the new products, formerly from AEF Designs, means people building and coming back for more.

OK, I'm done with my long rant/advice/ whatever you wish to call it.

Good luck on Sunday, & bring me back the modern Soviet vehicle interior sets. :pp

Regards,

Thanks guys!

You Saul are so dead on almost word for word, for the last conversation I had with Tony. Now get out of my head!

I missed the planned weekend. Tony called tuesday night and we talked for about an hour. Did not even touch on what was up with the model company. Going to see him Saturnday for sure. From that :idonno

Got an update.

Long story short, AEF is done. He is keeping the masters, more than likely they will never see the light of day.

Sorry Saul I tried to get some Soviet vehicle interiors. I'll keep working on him. ;)

Back