• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Pinups Plus - New Product Approach to Improve...

Sharkmouth

Information Overload
Staff member
When the owner of Pin Ups Plus read the posts about the translucency issues encountered, she quickly wrote to me to let me know she was trying a new approach. The turnaround was very quick (you can see that I posted my receipt in the Latest Acquisitions thread a while ago) but I have been too busy to try them out. My apologies to Pin Ups Plus.
decals_001.JPG

decals_002.JPG

first impression is that I like the approach. Instead of the usual pin up girls printed on clear or white decal film, this time the background color is close to the shade of the vehicle.

For this test, I used the black background. Since the painted (tattooed) ladies would not be proper for my WWII collection, they were used.

pinup_003.JPG

Using the back of the scalpel, I noticed that the decals are printed on a white film.

pinup_004.JPG

Care should be taken not to use scissors as the inks do scratch easily revealing the white film beneath.

pinup_005.JPG

The opacity is very good and shows that this approach is sound.

I do have a suggestion for Pin ups Plus. Try the same thing on a clear film and allow the modeler to apply white below the figure (but i would like to try it without first to see if it is necessary).

Some tips on working with these decals.

Inks are fragile, use scissors to free the subject from the sheet but allow plenty of room to trim closer with a knife. Use a fresh blade in the knife to gently cut the film (not the paper backing) to minimize the touch up needed if the white film shows.

In the case of these dark backgrounds, cut the film to replicate either a panel line or freshly cleaned section (rectangle or oval).

Very warm water allows for flexibility. MicroSol and MicroSet work well with the sheets. The decals do allow for some handling so blotting out bubbles is the first recourse before resorting to the blade to release the trapped air.

My thanks to Pin Ups Plus for allowing me to test this approach.

Regards,

Wonder how matching up the background colors is going to be? We all know the variations in OD that we see just in our different lines of paints, if she uses an OD that is darker than our intended subject the decal will stick out pretty badly don't you think?

Opps, didn't see the first couple of shots you have, that answers my question. Just supply the various shades of the background. Nice!

Actually, the idea was to find out which shade is best and if the translucency issue was resolved.

Regards,

Back