• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

iModelKit App for iPhone/iTouch from id6

Jeeves

I realize this isn't really new kit news or the like-- but I am finding this to be a real awesome and useful tool...sort of like a reference book ;). I know Bob just got a Droid and while I can't find any information on whether it is available there, there may be something like it worth looking for.

It is a free app-- but can be purchased if you want to avoid the ads (although I don't seem to even see them anyways!). Now on to what is included...forgive my attempted screen pics...I don't know how to capture a screen shot on the Touch or if it is even possible so I used my camera.

First off are the color charts...there are color charts of the following:

*ANA (Army-Navy Aeronautical)
*Federal Standard 595c (?)
*RAL (Reichsausschuß für Lieferbedingungen und Gütesicherung)
*Humbrol
*Tamiya
*Vallejo Model Color
*Revell
*Mr. Hobby Aqueous Hobby Color

These charts come directly from the manufacturer's website information and include color "chips".
2-5-11_008.jpg

2-5-11_009.jpg

The developer claims that the chips, due to reference and device limitations, are only given as an approximation...but I find them to be pretty close. It was great working on the Lanc yesterday and when I was using some copied online instructions for parts not included in the original kit and needed to know what colors to paint, I didn't have to go searching online or turning away from where I was...I could just bring up the app and there they were.

One other great function was when you touch on the paint chip-- it shows a larger chip and on the bottom a section to cross reference the color to other manufacturers chips...these can also be touched on to be brought up.
2-5-11_011.jpg

Color Mixer
A tool that helps find the best mix of paint for a given color. There are an assortment of slots-- so you touch on one and enter the manufacturer and the paint choice...and then continue to touch and enter others and on the screen will show up an approximation on what the mix would look like. There are sliders that you can use to change the ratios as well.
2-5-11_007.jpg

Scale Computation
Here is basically a scale tool, but so much more. You enter your dimensions, and the scales you want to convert from, as well as the units you want to use, and it does the rest. As you can see from the screenshot, I entered the dimensions of the Lanc and got an idea of what size I will be dealing with when I am all done.
2-5-11_012.jpg

At the top is an option to change the shape which is a good feature for scratch builders. I haven't quite figured out how it works...but as you can see you can switch from sheet styrene to different types of rods, strips, tubing, etc...all offered in any Evergreen hobby shop display.
2-5-11_013.jpg

2-5-11_014.jpg

If you swipe left, you will get a virtual cutting pad to help you visualize your piece.
2-5-11_017.jpg

Notes

Finally, on any of the above features (other than the charts), you can save your research as a note-- which you can come back to later if something draws you away from your bench.
2-5-11_015.jpg

All told, this is a pretty sweet application for modelers-- I haven't quite figured out how to use them all, but then again, I have a lot of room to grow as a modeler as well. It will remain to be seen whether this app will be updated by it's designer id6...I plan on adding this review to it and will be the first I guess. Hopefully they will though. Can't beat the price of free either-- see- somethings in life are free!!!

Hopefully it'll inspire others to come out MP...I tried writing a review to help motivate and maybe bring on other favorable reviews, but when I sent it, it doesn't show up...so who knows?

Well technically I would think this was a review? :0

You can rate the apps and give reviews of them through the Apple App Store-- but when I went to hit Send, nothing happened...so I sent it right to them and got this back--

Thank you for your great email and for your interest in iModelkit !

Just one word about colors, remember the mixer and the color reference chips have their limitations (see the help about color charts and mixer for more info). It'll show you approximations of results, but don't forget to check with real world paints.

We plan to make an update by the beginning of march (depending on Apple validation times) to correct some minor issues and to add new charts and a few features... We have thought about the inventory already (I personally often buy paints that I already have and forget the ones that I don't :(. It's quite simple to implement it in a user-interface way (your idea of a check option is really what we want to implement :). The problem is rather with the mass of information the device can handle (on the screen and on the file system). But I'm sure we will find the best solution to implement it and propose it later this year... However, the "Notes" screen will evolve in the next release, it'll help you with your inventory as we have added folders on it (just this week:), so you'll be able to create a folder for your stock and another for what you need as well as others for your modelling projects...

Well yeah, this is a fine review, I thought you were saying you submitted a review on our front side.

This would be interesting to see develop, it would keep guys from hitting the LHS with little notebooks in their hand trying to remember what the went to the LHS for.

Is there a way to do it front side? I am not too crazy about the pics, but it was the best I could do ;)

It would be great to be able to have a checklist type thing...but as it is now, I think using the Note section, you can at the very least figure out what you need while still at home, make up a note, and bring it with you to the shop...course the nearest shop here is only MM..gotta go down to Albany or up to Plattsburgh if I want Tamiya...

I've got it saved on my reference apps page on my iPhone and use it often. I've also got some of the Jourist reference apps on my iPhone, but it looks like I need to download a few more! (y)

Jourist Military Reference

Hi Joe...

I don't see anything like this for the PC. I know there are paint charts available on certain modeling websites abd there are free scale converters you can download, but nothing all in one like this.

Back