• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

MoDio European Arch with Base Kit # BM-004:

shawngehling

EuropeanArchwithBaseBM004.jpg

MoDio base in 1/35th Scale
By Shawn W. Gehling
This is one of many bases that Num (Narongkorn Wongwaen) has made, all of which are beautiful. He has Small, Medium (which this is) and Large bases. If you are looking for a really cool base to display your work on, one of these might fit the build. Check out this website:
http://www.thaimsot.com/en/forum/54-%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%99-MoDio/30410-MoDio-catalogue---%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A5%E0%B9%8A%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%81%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%B4%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%AD?limit=15
Please note that it is in Thai, but the information pictures have English descriptions for the kits.
I also highly recommend that you register and look around at all there is to see on this site. If you are like me and can't read Thai, click the English flag on the right.
Num is an outstanding modeler in his own right and has marketed a bunch of really cool bases that will enhance or display many different models. The detail is outstanding and very crisp.
Price is 350.00 Thai Baht or about $11.41 in US Dollars (depending on the current exchange rate of the day).

The European Arch with base Kit # BM-004:
Contains 2 pieces of plaster which is finely molded with great detail and requires little or no sanding/clean up.
Part 1 is the base (groundwork) and consists of a hard packed roadway and a damaged brick sidewalk (Or maybe the whole road was brick once? Only your imagination can decide.) closest to the half circle stone steps leading up to Part 2 the arched stone entrance. This can be pretty much any area of Southern Europe and can display a small vehicle and or figures.
Baseoverview.jpg

Part 2 was received “cleanly” broken in two places, which is no problem at all and can (I intend to add more battle damage anyways) be repaired with “elmers” white glue the same way part 2 (the arched stone entrance) will be attached to part 1 (the roadway) base. (I spoke with April and gave her a suggestion on shipping which barring any mishandling by the postal service should get yours to you without any damage). They are also going to see about using a stronger plaster, but I'm sure it will arrive safely.
Repair to the damaged parts and clean up took about 10 minutes. The battle damage that I plan to make to it might take a bit longer, but it's easy to work with and looks great. I can't wait to get some paint on this beauty.
I recently moved and this was the 1st package that I received at my new address.
How cool is that?
I highly recommend this kit for anyone who enjoys displaying small dioramas/vignettes or figures. I would like to thank Anarongkor (Num) Wongwaen and Apiradee (April) Wongwaen of MoDio Models for the review kit.
Apriadee (April) can be reached via these methods ifyou have any questions.
Business and marketing Director-MoDio
+66 (0)81 855 4790
apirthan@ hotmail.com
modio@hotmail.co.th
Built base
Base.jpg

Built base with 38(t) tank for scale
Basewith38t.jpg

built base with figures for scale
BasewithUSsoldiers.jpg

Painted base from catalog
EuropeanArchwithBasepainted.jpg

Painted base from catalog various
EuropeanArchwithBasepaintedvariousshots.jpg

My pleasure Laura,
How are you doing in the New Year? Hope all is well with you in your neck of the woods?
This has been the 1st thing that I've had a chance to work on in a long time, so I was
pretty excited. Now that things are settling down a bit in my new job and the move is done
and most of the stuff is put away, I'm just working in the basement (man cave) and trying
to get a modeling area set up... Yee Ha.
I really like some of the bases that Num has on his site. I can think of a few that would
look great displaying models.
Glad to be back, even if it's just a little.
Shawn

Shawn,
I don't know how can I say thank you and how can I say to you guys all here as well to let me have the chance for this community, especially this forum post from you, Shawn.

Actually, the base I sent to you just only the gift for our friendship.

Frankly speaking, I was so shy when I read your post. A million thanks.

Thanks, James, Kreighshoer and Andy

I'm welcome to give you more info about the base if you need.

Unfortunately, the base I sent to Shawn was not well for packaging because this stage is under develop until we launch the product export. That was why I tried to ship this to Shawn to test this.
I'm sure that future development to get better and stronger base.

Thank you again.

Num (Narongkorn)

P.S. My wife (April) she is helping me for all marketing even help me in English, Please feel free to contact her as Shawn mentioned Email.

Num,
I know it was a gift, but it's sooooo cool, I had to do a review on it.
You do some really sweet stuff.
I sent info on the Gel Medium that I used on the wave to April, so she can
pass it along to you. Let me know if you can't get it over there and I'll
get some when I'm off island and send it to you.
Most of you guys know me by now, I didn't candy coat this or any other review.
This base is amazing. Like I said, the parts that were broken were broken off
clean, and took 10 minutes to fix (if that). The detail is sweet and I can't
wait to put some paint on it. (that is if I can find the box that my paint is
in). Of course the models stuff is piled in a room that I haven't had time to
get to yet. If I don't find it tomorrow, I'm picking up a can of grey primer on
the way to the model meeting and I'll get started on it. I know where my black wash
stuff is and the static grass, so the red brick paint will be the only thing left.
Gene, did you check out the other bases Num has on the site... They are all really
cool, but some are a must have.
Saul, I don't know what you mean by more permanent???:idonno What would be the
difference (article)???
Shawn

Hi Shawn and of course Num

I couldnt see the bases you mentioned, is there a way Num could post some pictures up ?

I think Saul thinks in terms of an aticle, full build, SBS, rather than just a review which I certainly would watch with great anticipation

Gene and Andy,

You should just be able to click on this link:

http://www.thaimsot.com/en/forum/54-%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%99-MoDio/30410-MoDio-catalogue---%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A5%E0%B9%8A%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%81%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%B4%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%AD?limit=15

If that doesn't work, I can pull pictures off of it and post them here.
Num will have to explain as there are two prices (I hate to assume, but I would
think one is for the base unpainted and the higher one is for the base painted).
Careful Num if this takes off you won't have time to work on anything else but
painting your fine bases. :D :D :D

I would be happy to do a full build on this. Like I said, I plan on finishing it tonight/tomorrow if
all goes as planned? I will take the camera with me and get some step by step pictures.
The build is easy only two pieces, other than the minor repair from shipping. I'm planning on adding
a little battle damage, but nothing crazy. Then painting. The building of a diorama out of it might
take a bit longer (I was thinking of putting some Dragon German Para's on it or something)? :idonno
Shawn

Is it will be ok, if I post some example for the bases sold in Thailand?
As Shawn assumed, the price in the catalog identified is for paint and unpaint base

All bases designed and make by myself, all handmade. Please enjoy watching these.

Num

P.S. I'm not sure if any one want to see more pattern, this will work or not as what Gene and Andy mentioned. This may register is required.
In case if anyone here want to see more example...I'm welcome to share...

Num,

Please continue to post images of your products. I think there will be a vendor forum where you can do that, otherwise send the images to Shawn and hopefully he will post them as news.

About the article reference: Although an in-box review has been submitted here, it is not indexed as such. Also, it can't be posted on the front page. On the left, there in the column is a "submit An Article" link, under the User Menu section, which would allow you to submit the in-box review as a permanent article. No need to do an SBS or a build article although they would be GREATLY appreciated.

Regards,

Num,
Thanks for posting those, :notworthy I will try and do what Saul (Shark Mouth) said.
putting it in as a full scale article.
Thanks Saul, ;)
Always trying to teach this old dog a new trick...:pinch:
Gene,
I told you there were some cool bases to be had. Didn't I??? (y) (y)
Bob,
Thanks, As always your opinion is held in high regard.

Shawn

Well I got a little bit of work done on it Friday night at our model meeting.
Primer
Primer.jpg

Bottomwithsecondcoatofprimer.jpg

Topwithsecondcoatofprimer.jpg

Primed with black wash
Basefrontwithblackwash.jpg

Basewithblackwashleft.jpg

Basereallycloseupwithblackwash.jpg

Basic paint
BasePaintedRight.jpg

Basewithbrickanddirtleft.jpg

Basewithbrickanddirtfront.jpg