• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

2019 Summer Airplane fun

Rhino

Super Moderator
hd62f515.JPG

As forces of The Minnesota Coalition advance on Central City, Iowa the plucky fliers of the Marion Air Patch aid in evacuating residents of the Cedar Rapids/Hiawatha/Marion area to safety behind the counterattacking formations of the Iowa National Guard. Local hunters & sportsman aid The Guard by picking off the pesky MN RPV's with their FlaK.22 guns.
As Operation "Back Up Nort', Eh!" continues, ING General Edward J. Sarnecki II predicts state lines will be restored by 2200 Sunday, 23 June 2019, as the invading Minnesotans will withdraw to a more bearable level of humidity in their Homeland.

More details as this story unfolds.

OK, You caught me Bullschteining my own picture!
Freedom fest was on this weekend in the Cedar Rapids/Marion area. My Sweetie and I went for the flight breakfast and to inspect (?!?) the Aircraft about the Marion Air Patch. Mostly I just marvel at how things have changed in sport aviation since last I went combine bombing & bug smashing some 40 years ago.

h22f412e.JPG

h01c9dd6.JPG

hea57d96.JPG

hbbe6a2f.JPG

h6c53e25.JPG

First, some Old Friends. Ercoupe, Bellanca Citabria, Cessna Skyhawk & 172, and a Piper Apache. (I never did fly an Apache. I just thought She was cool!)

hb877e8f.JPG

h636b5b6.JPG

hb0ffbdc.JPG

In-Progress 1/1 scale VR-7. Tricycle gear, sliding canopy version. 2 Men had been working on Her since 2006. Just on weekends. 200 HP fuel injected, electronic ignition Lycoming powerplant. LCD instrument panel. I learned the round dials with pointy thingies can be displayed on the LCD's. I felt less aged after that. 6,800 rivets! Most of them looked pretty good!
My Papa built a Cassutt III in our garage when I was a much younger child, so I understand the process. She burns 9 gallons per hour, with a 42 gallon capacity. She's speedy for a bug smasher! Teresa asked me if I missed flying.
"Only when I look at the Sky, My Love."

h1e167f2.JPG

Cirrus flight line. A popular composite Aircraft these days.

hbb6b249.JPG

Clemson Tigers paint job?
h13a2f99.JPG

Brad (something czech last name) 200 Hp Cirrus. He was justifiably proud of his airplane!

h0f0c2a0.JPG

Our second Piper Cherokee was a "Juliet". Ours wasn't retractable. Airplane rides were $20.00 today. Solid crosswind was blowing from the East under a tentative bumpy cloud cover. These skilled Pilots greased almost every landing on a little bitty runway, for their passengers. Skilled Men every one. Yes, I still eval even unarrested landings. I cain't help myself.

hacc8235.JPG

The Malibu was a sexy, speedy pressurized airplane with a radar slung under one wing. 225 kts @ 25K altitude. lithe and agile looking! SUU-WEET!

hf2ee970.JPG

I looked this Lady over. I didn't care for Her. A cross between an HE-162 Salamander and a Learjet. Something untrustworthy about Her design. A CG thing? Just didn't like Her on an instinctive level. No tailhook.

This was the warm-up to going to Davenport to see the Blue Angels next weekend! I'll post pictures from that as well. Cheers~!

Wrong colors for Clempson
we be more like this.
4855-clemson-oldzip-21-thumbnail.jpg

Nice picts, I like to ride out to the airport here and see what's cooking, usually not much. Looks like a good time was had.

Enthusiasm in all of it's guises, is pleasing to me. This thread is not truly about modeling. It is story about taking two people I care deeply for to their first Airshow. I will confess that following an Airplane Adventure, my Model Mojo peaks.
Depart Marion, IA 0805 29 June. For The QCA............
Cue the music!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxPLHUtTunI

h2f494ab.JPG

"Best Breakfast EVER!" Hardee's in Mount Vernon.

hbab3173.JPG

Hey Russell, lookit where that Army Guy landed his Helicopter! Man had SKEELS! Newbies are FUN!

hc24b4d9.JPG

Patience and courtesy are the norm on arrival here in Davenport. The volunteer kids were waving us in. We waved back, and got a couple of good smiles from the youngsters. Ever'buddy was rill naahs! Smahlin' n' Wavin'!

h6747821.JPG

Teresa & Grandson Russell with Blue Angel XO Cmdr. Matt Kaulk. Commander Kaulk flew with the Team later on. (I'll skip the obvious Pun here!)
Recruiting is now entitled "Talent Procurement". There was a lot of free Navy.com swag to be had!
Weather?! 106 Degrees is the forecasted high.
Let's go to Weather central!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXdmTtk1Mm4

hfc2aff2.JPG

PT-17/N3N's on the flight line!

h674673e.JPG

Russell wants to know if I can still fly a Citabria. After all this time, I doubt I could get Her unchocked.

h56464bd.JPG

hdc9fc3c.JPG

We Toured the AC-47A from Topeka, KS. "Spooky" was in the markings of John L. Levitow's airplane. For more of the story:
https://amcmuseum.org/history/airman-first-class-john-l-levitow/

h1cedf43.JPG

C-1A Trader on display.

hb5f0100.JPG

h559b79e.JPG

Touring the brawny MH-53E is a MUST! Her pilot hailed from Geneseo, IL., just an hour of so from the QCA. He flew a Sea Stallion, much older than himself in from Norfolk, VA for the show. So far, the oppressive heat seems not to have taken much a toll on my "Newbies".
Hydrate! Hydrate! Hydrate!

h73a3442.JPG

Quicksilver P-51D on the ready line. Interesting markings. If I had a Mustang of my very own, I would paint Her up any old way I wanted to as well!

h821f891.JPG

h6113dfe.JPG

hf163542.JPG

Not EVERY Blue Angel on hand today came from Boeing!
ha4ff5ea.JPG

h7ad6ce7.JPG

h9e4234e.JPG

h3ead2f1.JPG

Joe "Rifle" Shettery put on a stunning display with his fastidiously polished loomium RV-8. Joe is an A-10 Warthog driver and Hawg instructor. It was abundantly clear Rifle LOVES to fly! The smoky R in the sky is for "Russell".

I must confess something at this time. The June sun was so brilliant, I couldn't see the camera screen on my iphone most of the day. Any descent airborne picture is purely accidental.
The Shettery Men have been a constant at the Quad City Airshow for as long as I can remember. One year Joe flew the A-10 demonstration himself. Absolutely Outstanding!!

Models can be built, videos watched, references studied. To truly appreciate the majesty of our Nation's Aircraft & pilots/aviators I encourage everyone to go where you can smell the smoke, feel the shock waves, experience the actual sight and sound of Aircraft in flight, first hand! (Unless you build tanks. :rotf )

hd5d5c5c.JPG

hea987c8.JPG

hddc343d.JPG

Brohter Jeff Shettery joins Joe in his muscular radial-engined SNJ-5. The shiny RV-8 seems to have no trouble keeping pace with the venerable yellow Navy Lady.

h9ca899c.JPG

hb34f769.JPG

hb1aef38.JPG

hea91d45.JPG

h0b2253a.JPG

hd69e03c.JPG

Mr. Globemaster III makes an appearance today. I'm surprised at how quiet the C-17's approach is. Just after I wondered that out-loud, the Air Boss says "Notice how quiet the C-17 is. Making her tactical resupply mission more stealthy." What? Mother? Is that you?!
On Short landing, with flaps & slats deployed, and all 4 engines in full reverse, She makes a suitably loud big jet noise!
The little white headed Lady in the pictures is a 40-Year veteran of the Nashville, TN VA hospital. Her Grandson is flying His Globemaster III for Her today. She is justifiably VERY proud!

C-17 is a great aircraft, always a treat to see them. Couple of years ago in downtown Charleston we saw an impressive number of them heading to Charleston AFB, one behind the other, lost count how many. Got buzzed by one doing touch and goes at North air base in SC. Came over tree tops when I was going down the road, scared the crap out of me.

Looks like a good show (y)

During the F4U-5/P-51D display My Sweetie began to feel overheated. We went to the car to pop the magic cooler and run the air conditioning. Water bottles were $3.00 each. YIKE! I won't go to the Iowa State Fair, but I will splurge on an Airshow. Health and welfare of my Crew being tantamount on their first Blue Angels trip I made sure Russell & Teresa got plenty of water and cooling off breaks.

I didn't get any Corsair pictures. She made the appropriate "Whistle & Roar" Warbird noises.

h1451f7a.JPG

Happy Cooling off!

h3ece5e5.JPG

h55f8af0.JPG

h66b5e27.JPG

h74e57b3.JPG

The Aeroshell Texan Team put on a fine performance! In the light breeze, they did much of their show in their own smoke! Very precise, fun and noisy! If you set your tent or chair up behind the Aeroshell team's T-6's, the prop blast does really funny things to watch when they fire up their radials! I shot a short video of things flying away, but it didn't come out!

h6aa3164.JPG

Shockwave's 1940 Ford J-79 powered Fire truck with operating siren & Lights. Capable of 417 mph. Kirby Chambliss & Jeff Shettery raced the Shockwave firetruck. Jeff performed a victory roll afterwards, but it clear he let the FIREtruck win. The kids LOVE this anacromism. I think it's just plain silly!

h07806d2.JPG

I found it ironic that an 8-year-old boy-child would make a dry spot at his his first air show. Generally the reverse is true, don't you agree? :rotf

h8c57064.JPG

h29bbde4.JPG

hfe37ca2.JPG

hb3007ea.JPG

hc3f7a1c.JPG

The Blue Angels approached from due West. The 4-ship Diamond broke right to airshow left. 5 & 6 came straight on at just a hair under 500kts. When they passed overhead, Russell made the amazed, excited, expression I had waited for in the heat all day! "The Blue Angels ARE FAST!!" When I checked on my Sweetie it was obvious she was suffering heat stress. I called emergency egress and we went back to the Kia for cold, damp, towel, more water bottles and more air conditioning. We got to see most of the Blues performance. It began to rain fo' weal after that.

h461a54f.JPG

As is traditional, Russell got a brand new Blue Angel's cover for his first visit. He seems pleased! :coolio

hb13ae50.JPG

ha02603e.JPG

Blue Angels swag for the grown-ups (?!?) too!

h4607d5f.JPG

You see all kinds of things at an Airshow. I was surprised to see that this vehicle comes in a 3/4 ton model. I believe it could have made good use of a 4th wheel. :facepalm

hd12c6a8.JPG

If you visit the Davenport area, It is also traditional to go to Whitey's Ice Cream Parlor for a frosty treat!
We both like chocolate chip mint ice cream!

ha352b63.JPG

After a busy, fun, noisy, smoky, hot day with lots of exercise and the obligatory Interstate root-beer burping contest, (I won with a Dinosaur Burp!) Russell assumed the "Somebody's drunk Uncle" pose on the return leg.

I am not truly his Grandpa. I do what I can to be a bad influence nonetheless!
Thanks for looking in! :salute :eek:ldguy :pilot

That's the way to tucker'm out. Glad everyone survived with no ill effects. Can't get enough cold water on days like that.

h74e57b3.JPG

Great picture. :pilot

Amen Brother Pup! Since the Quad Cities Airshow is a 2-day event, Russell wanted to go back again today. A resounding "Nuh-Uh!" was issued by His Nana!
Here's a linkie for more info and much better pictures!
http://www.quadcityairshow.com/

Back