Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 2019 Summer Airplane fun

2019 Summer Airplane fun 23 Jun 2019 16:44 #1

hd62f515.JPG

As forces of The Minnesota Coalition advance on Central City, Iowa the plucky fliers of the Marion Air Patch aid in evacuating residents of the Cedar Rapids/Hiawatha/Marion area to safety behind the counterattacking formations of the Iowa National Guard. Local hunters & sportsman aid The Guard by picking off the pesky MN RPV's with their FlaK.22 guns.
As Operation "Back Up Nort', Eh!" continues, ING General Edward J. Sarnecki II predicts state lines will be restored by 2200 Sunday, 23 June 2019, as the invading Minnesotans will withdraw to a more bearable level of humidity in their Homeland.

More details as this story unfolds.
  • Rhino
  • Rhino
  • Brigadier
    Brigadier
The administrator has disabled public write access.

2019 Summer Airplane fun 23 Jun 2019 16:52 #2

Look at that big sky!
  • Iron Mike
  • Iron Mike
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms
I dream of a world where a chicken can cross the road without having its motives questioned.

What we do in life will echo in eternity.

IPMS Plastic Surgeon (satellite member)

AMPS member

Resident Curmudgeon

2019 Summer Airplane fun 23 Jun 2019 18:50 #3

:popcorn
I told you photobucket sucks...

"If you don't like it why don't you just let it be"
Hank Williams Jr.

2019 Summer Airplane fun 23 Jun 2019 19:11 #4

Looks like a great day for flying.
Frank
:good
  • Frank
  • Frank
  • Regiment Commander
    Regiment Commander

2019 Summer Airplane fun 23 Jun 2019 19:20 #5

Looks like Young Eagles to me!
  • jeaton01
  • jeaton01
  • Company Commander
    Company Commander
John
My modeling website, lots of build photos.
http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.htm

2019 Summer Airplane fun 23 Jun 2019 22:05 #6

OK, You caught me Bullschteining my own picture!
Freedom fest was on this weekend in the Cedar Rapids/Marion area. My Sweetie and I went for the flight breakfast and to inspect (?!?) the Aircraft about the Marion Air Patch. Mostly I just marvel at how things have changed in sport aviation since last I went combine bombing & bug smashing some 40 years ago.

h22f412e.JPG

h01c9dd6.JPG

hea57d96.JPG

hbbe6a2f.JPG

h6c53e25.JPG

First, some Old Friends. Ercoupe, Bellanca Citabria, Cessna Skyhawk & 172, and a Piper Apache. (I never did fly an Apache. I just thought She was cool!)
  • Rhino
  • Rhino
  • Brigadier
    Brigadier

2019 Summer Airplane fun 23 Jun 2019 22:24 #7

hb877e8f.JPG

h636b5b6.JPG

hb0ffbdc.JPG

In-Progress 1/1 scale VR-7. Tricycle gear, sliding canopy version. 2 Men had been working on Her since 2006. Just on weekends. 200 HP fuel injected, electronic ignition Lycoming powerplant. LCD instrument panel. I learned the round dials with pointy thingies can be displayed on the LCD's. I felt less aged after that. 6,800 rivets! Most of them looked pretty good!
My Papa built a Cassutt III in our garage when I was a much younger child, so I understand the process. She burns 9 gallons per hour, with a 42 gallon capacity. She's speedy for a bug smasher! Teresa asked me if I missed flying.
"Only when I look at the Sky, My Love."
  • Rhino
  • Rhino
  • Brigadier
    Brigadier

2019 Summer Airplane fun 23 Jun 2019 22:41 #8

h1e167f2.JPG

Cirrus flight line. A popular composite Aircraft these days.

hbb6b249.JPG

Clemson Tigers paint job?
h13a2f99.JPG

Brad (something czech last name) 200 Hp Cirrus. He was justifiably proud of his airplane!

h0f0c2a0.JPG

Our second Piper Cherokee was a "Juliet". Ours wasn't retractable. Airplane rides were $20.00 today. Solid crosswind was blowing from the East under a tentative bumpy cloud cover. These skilled Pilots greased almost every landing on a little bitty runway, for their passengers. Skilled Men every one. Yes, I still eval even unarrested landings. I cain't help myself.

hacc8235.JPG

The Malibu was a sexy, speedy pressurized airplane with a radar slung under one wing. 225 kts @ 25K altitude. lithe and agile looking! SUU-WEET!

hf2ee970.JPG

I looked this Lady over. I didn't care for Her. A cross between an HE-162 Salamander and a Learjet. Something untrustworthy about Her design. A CG thing? Just didn't like Her on an instinctive level. No tailhook.

This was the warm-up to going to Davenport to see the Blue Angels next weekend! I'll post pictures from that as well. Cheers~!
  • Rhino
  • Rhino
  • Brigadier
    Brigadier

2019 Summer Airplane fun 24 Jun 2019 06:19 #9

It looks like you had a good time. :thumbsup
  • Iron Mike
  • Iron Mike
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms
I dream of a world where a chicken can cross the road without having its motives questioned.

What we do in life will echo in eternity.

IPMS Plastic Surgeon (satellite member)

AMPS member

Resident Curmudgeon

2019 Summer Airplane fun 24 Jun 2019 06:43 #10

Wrong colors for Clempson
we be more like this.

Nice picts, I like to ride out to the airport here and see what's cooking, usually not much. Looks like a good time was had.
I told you photobucket sucks...

"If you don't like it why don't you just let it be"
Hank Williams Jr.

2019 Summer Airplane fun 30 Jun 2019 11:03 #11

Enthusiasm in all of it's guises, is pleasing to me. This thread is not truly about modeling. It is story about taking two people I care deeply for to their first Airshow. I will confess that following an Airplane Adventure, my Model Mojo peaks.
Depart Marion, IA 0805 29 June. For The QCA............
Cue the music!

h2f494ab.JPG

"Best Breakfast EVER!" Hardee's in Mount Vernon.

hbab3173.JPG

Hey Russell, lookit where that Army Guy landed his Helicopter! Man had SKEELS! Newbies are FUN!

hc24b4d9.JPG

Patience and courtesy are the norm on arrival here in Davenport. The volunteer kids were waving us in. We waved back, and got a couple of good smiles from the youngsters. Ever'buddy was rill naahs! Smahlin' n' Wavin'!

h6747821.JPG

Teresa & Grandson Russell with Blue Angel XO Cmdr. Matt Kaulk. Commander Kaulk flew with the Team later on. (I'll skip the obvious Pun here!)
Recruiting is now entitled "Talent Procurement". There was a lot of free Navy.com swag to be had!
Weather?! 106 Degrees is the forecasted high.
Let's go to Weather central!

hfc2aff2.JPG

PT-17/N3N's on the flight line!

h674673e.JPG

Russell wants to know if I can still fly a Citabria. After all this time, I doubt I could get Her unchocked.

h56464bd.JPG

hdc9fc3c.JPG

We Toured the AC-47A from Topeka, KS. "Spooky" was in the markings of John L. Levitow's airplane. For more of the story:
amcmuseum.org/history/airman-first-class-john-l-levitow/
  • Rhino
  • Rhino
  • Brigadier
    Brigadier

2019 Summer Airplane fun 30 Jun 2019 11:30 #12

h1cedf43.JPG

C-1A Trader on display.

hb5f0100.JPG

h559b79e.JPG

Touring the brawny MH-53E is a MUST! Her pilot hailed from Geneseo, IL., just an hour of so from the QCA. He flew a Sea Stallion, much older than himself in from Norfolk, VA for the show. So far, the oppressive heat seems not to have taken much a toll on my "Newbies".
Hydrate! Hydrate! Hydrate!

h73a3442.JPG

Quicksilver P-51D on the ready line. Interesting markings. If I had a Mustang of my very own, I would paint Her up any old way I wanted to as well!

h821f891.JPG

h6113dfe.JPG

hf163542.JPG

Not EVERY Blue Angel on hand today came from Boeing!
ha4ff5ea.JPG

h7ad6ce7.JPG

h9e4234e.JPG

h3ead2f1.JPG

Joe "Rifle" Shettery put on a stunning display with his fastidiously polished loomium RV-8. Joe is an A-10 Warthog driver and Hawg instructor. It was abundantly clear Rifle LOVES to fly! The smoky R in the sky is for "Russell".
  • Rhino
  • Rhino
  • Brigadier
    Brigadier
Last Edit: 30 Jun 2019 11:33 by Rhino. Reason: sp.
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds