• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Mad City Model Contest, 2 March 2019 Madison WI

Rhino

Super Moderator
We sallied forth from Marion, Iowa yesterday morning for The Mad City Modeler's 24 Model contest.
The weather cooperated as hoped. Once again, please do not interpret my humble impressions as a complete show report.
Pictures coming soon!

Standing by.

testpattern.gif

:D

"Starbase, coast in. Wichita 114 feet dry................
Crossed a decidedly frost Mississippi river 0940. A less than blistering pace was set under a tentative early March sky.

hdf5f3f7.jpg

Hiway 151 in Wisconsin is fun to drive on. Curvy, scenic roadway carved through limestone karst.
Road conditions were nominal. Occasionally the sun peeked through. Music playing, white lines flashing by
The company was Stellar! We made the new spacious venue a little before 1100. They've had lots of snow here in Madison. Parking was "Winter Casual". Park anywhere She'll fit and don't bother about Tow Trucks.

h986dc5f.JPG

he7d0966.JPG

Registration was effortless & speedy. The greeting was warm and welcoming. As is usual in the cooler climes of Wisconsin. The always affable IPMS Region 5 Rep, Jim Coatney & his Sweetie hard at work as well!

h2a5e7b4.JPG

hf0dc4c6.JPG

General raffle prizes. Drawings on the hour stating at 1100 until 1400. We missed the 1100 drawing, because I was running my mouth and introducing Teresa to model friends, and lost my focus. :idonno

h9056b10.JPG

"Grand Prize" Raffle prizes. The Mad City club pretty much sets the Gold Standard in the Region 5 I attend with any regularity at all, for volume & quality in raffle prizes. Almost every kit is new & sealed. No started stuff or missing parts. In recent memory, the Atlanta club had a killer raffle and Butch O'Hare in Chicago-land was impressive as well. My Partner in Crime decided to join in the raffle fun. Teresa even splurged on a Grand Prize raffle ticket as well.

Are ya ready for Model Pitchurs?!?

hc95fa51.JPG

It isn't everyday the Monogram 1/48 Liberator-J is seen.

hab694be.JPG

Lookie! Frank's Peacemaker B-36 and Su-24 made the show!

h3dcf234.JPG

That's my friend right there! He ends up in my pitchers most of the time anyway. I shot this one on purpose!

h2984b12.JPG

hc9f4ab1.JPG

hec2c148.JPG

h665b702.JPG

OK. I may be just a bit biased, but the nekid Fokker DR.1 was just cool! Operating control surfaces, springy tailskid. Just NEET-O. The skilled, able, yet still friendly, Bob Steinbrunn built Her.
Der Baron would be Chuffed!

hd66fbb4.JPG

h482db7b.JPG

Sogai! A dinky Kikka jet!

h2b77f3d.JPG

1/48 Aircraft. Armor Guys, don't worry! Your favorite pictures are coming! :rotf

hb99c501.JPG

hc9f1025.JPG

hc4d4652.JPG

A few close-ups of eye-catchers!

hb09f62d.JPG

INSANE! A built AmTech 1/48 Ta-183 Huckebein! A VERY rare model airplane kit!! Erich Hartmann's markings! A little more filler around the tailplane joint and at the rear of the wing join seam, and she would have been near-flawless!!

That nekkid fokker is really nice, I would love to do one half skinned, maybe in the process of being skinned or re-skinned.

That fokker is soooo kool! :pinch: and I'm liking the sweet looking Wicked Wabbit too.
:v

h0700794.JPG

h9a4715c.JPG

h99a939e.JPG

MOre 1/48 aircraft. The Taiwanese F-5 Tiger II was a nice clean build. Rare for the overly engineered Kittyhawk kit!
h91c458b.JPG

hecec4b9.JPG

1/32 Aircraft. The HK 1/32 B-25J was all alone in her category. A sweet looking Mitchell nonetheless.

h308027c.JPG

h97fcf27.JPG

Some Armor Models. The M-108 is a Tank that you don't see often built.

h2761135.JPG

h3c84ae7.JPG

Bill Kruger & Teresa chat about his little 1/48 Motorcycle with side car and the local happenings in the Cedar Rapids area. Bill is one of the stalwarts of model shows and good dood!

h1912dfb.JPG

h84ce657.JPG

h450ad7f.JPG

h71813a0.JPG

h4a0d5e6.JPG

More Models! :yipee
I liked this little Stuart.
It was just about now I got shang-hai-ed into Judging. I usually don't judge at out-of-town shows. Generally I'm way too busy socializing. Today, I forgot my training and VOLUNTEERED!
My recent medications may have had something to do with it!

More to come! Sorry Men! I dink with every picture to make it "Just So", and I try to interject what commentary that occurs to me. I took LOTS of pictures!
:yipee

After a dash for lunch I joined Mad City modelers Joe Simon, his Son Joshua, and Brett (Forgive me Brett!) Dillenberg (?) for judging duties. We did 1/48 Jets. 1/32 Aircraft, Figures, Out of Box, and Miscellaneous.

Out-of Box!
That you be "Dink". Synonymous with alter, munkie, improve. White table coverings play hell with contrast & sharpness.

h9887609_2019-03-04.JPG

Sweet Models 1/144 A5M4 Claude.

h5bbf6a2.JPG

Mr. Whitey "Get My Good Side." Actually a female.
BIG shark. Little bitty mouth. Your thoughts, Warren? :hmmm

h5fef64e.JPG

British Columbia's famed wise-ass! :good:

h3acffc2.JPG

The Kathoga! Antagonist scary critter from The Relic. Only the second one of these I've seen built. His eyes were spot-on!

Figures.

h64e6669.JPG

Elvira, Queen of Cleavage! Um! The Darkness.

h7506940.JPG

Kamikaze and 17th century Musketeer. Mickey must be VERY old at that!

h9309877.JPG

I liked the War Toons SS Man & his Shepard. They didn't place, but stood out! Figures was a tough category.

h0de728e.JPG

"One Last Mission" COOL!

h245f965.JPG

Warhammer Elder Harlequin Troupe. These 4 fine dinky figures put me in mind of KISS.

hac4eaa4.JPG

She was and attention getter.

h4e80e99.JPG

NOW! in COLOR this time, from Her first film "To Have and Have Not" Lauren Bacall. hand sculpted and meticulously finished, with PERFECT eyes that weren't decals. First Place figure winner. If I had any criticism, Lauren was a mite thinner in her debut with Humphrey Bogart. She was called "Slim". My Favorite Figure!

Ships & Submarines:

h0db8442.JPG

h5fd2e79.JPG

hd34f2c1.JPG

1/350 USS Stevens, DD-479 in her Scouting Floatplane configuration. Absolutely Outstanding!

h1091ec5.JPG

hde110f9.JPG

1/350 LHD-2 USS Essex on a busy day. Check out the lighted hangar deck! NEET-O! A very tidy model ship. The helo's were anti-climactic.

h61d20a1.JPG

1/35 PT Boat.
I want one of these! PT-193. Lt. Cyrus Taylor's "Bitchin' Witch". I can't have one. Where the heck would I build Her! Now, the new Revell Ag 1/72 kit.........

hab4af9b.JPG

hf8f18f7.JPG

Richard Slawka (Slifka) entered his 1/700 USS Albemarle seaplane tender. His usual Gold-medal model!

Back