• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

LIVE RESIN 3-D PRINTED PRODUCT

iambrb

As I was laying in parts for an upcoming IDF build, I had a real need for a MAG58 LMG for one of the gun positions. As this is to be a Lebanon '82 build, I wanted to use the 'ground type that the Israelis would frequently use in case they had a need to dismount from the tank.

In so doing, I had been looking for an excuse to try out Live Resin. The package just came yesterday, and here it is, in comparison to another gun in current injection molded process:

So here is what you get when you open the padded envelope:

ha4a4f1e.JPG

h3cede2d.JPG

a little folded card, with the items inside a small zip-lock bag, stapled to said card. With this particular set, $12 gets you three total Mag 58's, each with an accessory sprue, that sprue having an ammo box, choice of folded or deployed bipod, and I think some optics options too (which I will not be using)

he0ad32a.JPG

They are 3D printed and the detail is amazing! 1st, for comparison, I dug out the Academy 1919 MMG that I intend to have on the commander's hatch. It is a actually quite good, all things considered. You can see some nice rivet detail, and the trigger is their too, but compare it to the closest pic I could get on the MAG58:

h3029ae0.JPG

h277cda0.JPG

The Academy product is older technology and again good, but will need some work before hitting it with paint. Look at the Live Resin item though, great goodness! There is not only rivet detail, but the detail in the tee-tiny pistol grip is there too!

Yes, this was $12 USD for 3 guns with accessories, but that is similar, cost wise, when compared to Legend, Mini Art, & others, and with this level of detail, I think it will be decidedly hard to beat.

Neat stuff, can't wait to get to work on it...and thanks for looking!

Very cool.

Just to be clear, the masters may have been 3D printed (then cleaned up) but those are resin cast parts.

Not that it detracts from the quality, just making that point so people don't think they can do that at home. The machines that produce that quality are well beyond the home printing budget and would still need the entire length to have support material that would need to be removed, not just the vents. Not to mention, it would take hours to print, not very cost effective. I have a friend who has two serious printers (UV/resin) that cost around $8K each and even those wouldn't print that clean.

It is great to see serious use of the technology for small businesses like this.

To go along with what Jeff said, the UV printers are quite expensive and do some real fine stuff. I believe there are even higher res printers out there (have no clue to the cost). I believe this as I have seen some 3D printed figure masters that are literally perfect. I am sure they are "quite" expensive to print, but then it makes your 3D master in the computer the important one and it can be reprinted as needed to make new molds.

Paul, yep, even if they spend a few hundred rendering their design on a $100,000 machine (figure kits I mean), it's still less than a paying a sculptor and they can use the master forever. Plus they can 3D scan to get the ball rolling or for a final in cases like action figures.

Items like the hardware are where it really shines IMO. I can sculpt a likeness in a few hours, but it would take me a month to sculpt a helmet. Probably take a 3D sculptor or someone with a small amount of proficiency with design software a few minutes.

Hello and thank for the confirmation! I was not aware that these aware cast resin, although once explained by you two, it makes perfect sense.

Great stuff either way, & y'all's expertise is appreciated!

I should have taken photos of the 3d printers at our Fremont site. You guys would have gotten your geek on. Also have two "Glowforge Pro" printers as well as some sort of 3d PCB printer. Not to mention the wireless bread maker. :geek:

Back