• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Giant HPH B-36 in 1/48th scale

Heavens Eagle

I received my B-36 from HPH 5 days after paying for it. I think that is a record for receiving a shipment from Europe. After signing up for it back in November I waited for info to pay. At this point they have it set up to order the kit. I believe that people that are on the initial list have been getting first contacts. I also believe that some have probably backed out which is why the B-52 kit has a down payment requirement.

As I was #75 on the original list and the build rate was to be 10 a month I figured end of May would be when they would want payment. Kind of a messed up way on this one but it has been a learning curve for everyone.

As to this review, this isn't your usual kit. It doesn't have sprues as such and the parts are grouped and bagged up. Well packed to say the least. Better packaging than other HPH kits I have by a large margin. Because of the way it is packaged to cover all the parts with some reasonable detail it took a fair number of photos. Most are just shots of this or that bag. You can study or skim them at your leisure. Some will have small comments and toward the end there will be some useful info supplied.

Here is a review of kit #56 and what came in it. I am going to split this up through several posts as I usually do. Enjoy!

HPH-B-36-00.jpg

HPH-B-36-01.jpg

HPH-B-36-02.jpg

HPH-B-36-03.jpg

HPH-B-36-04.jpg

HPH-B-36-05.jpg

HPH-B-36-06.jpg

HPH-B-36-07.jpg

HPH-B-36-08.jpg

HPH-B-36-09.jpg

HPH-B-36-10.jpg

There are a total of 51 photos through this and the next few posts. I wanted to give a thorough idea about this kit as the posts of the built kit really don't do it justice.
To be continued..

The last installment.

HPH-B-36-42.jpg

HPH-B-36-43.jpg

HPH-B-36-44.jpg

HPH-B-36-45.jpg

HPH-B-36-46.jpg

HPH-B-36-47.jpg

HPH-B-36-48.jpg

HPH-B-36-49.jpg

HPH-B-36-50.jpg

HPH-B-36-51.jpg

While this is a rather pricey kit, it is well within what other large scale kits would cost if Photo Etch and resin aftermarket parts are added. In fact is was less expensive than some of the other kits in my personal collection. I hope you have found this to be helpful and enlightening.

Thanks for the look see, if I was 30 years younger I probably would have sprung for one. Since the jet pods appear to set slightly ahead of the center of gravity maybe they would help counter act the heavy tail parts although having the extra weight near the end of the wings is probably not good.

Thanks for the looks see. Not thinking it is one I would ever do. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it though. Should be a beaut under your hands.
James

Thanks for the look see, if I was 30 years younger I probably would have sprung for one. Since the jet pods appear to set slightly ahead of the center of gravity maybe they would help counter act the heavy tail parts although having the extra weight near the end of the wings is probably not good.

I must admit that these wings are "STRONG" ! I don't think the added weight of the solid jet engine nacelles would affect them with droop but why take the chance. The thing I am planning on doing is to remove some material from the horizontal stabilizer. As far back as it is, a little rework there would have more effect. Also the plugs on the rear of the 6 engines and the prop hubs are quite solid as well. Some lightening on those should have some positive help. There are a lot of little ways that things could be adjusted for weight distribution.

At this point building it isn't what I am planning. I know after building the mini Albatros that I need a bit more practice and I also need to build a couple of resin kits before tackling something like this. As it was a limited run, I looked at it more as an investment and hedge against down the road. I would never buy anything that I would never plan on building. I do hate to pay 3x the amount on a kit I could have gotten new though.

Thanks for looking in and again sorry for so many photos, but the only way to give a complete look.

Very impressive, Paul but only one thing is missing, The Jimmy Stewart figure..... :rotf

Remember my friend, you can't die until it is built...

Genie is out of the bottle so I'll just move this to the review section.

Nice work Paul, thanks for the review.

Back