• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dspaie Aluminum Hand Drill

jknaus

Administrator
The DSPAIE Aluminum Hand Drill is another new tool from DSPAIE in China. Ron gave a great review of the side cutters and I think a few of you grabbed a set. I also got the circle cutter and again all 3 tools are extremely well built. There is one more tool to get and it is more a bench tool stand and glue holder. I'll just talk about this tool though for now. It is turned aluminum with a plastic rotating hand stop. Its a tiny hand drill and in my case can be swallowed by my hand. Its smooth so you may want to get a rubber pen grip or something to give more grip to it. I think that might be one of its few flaws. A knurling would be very helpful. It comes with a small "hexagon screwdriver" to hold the drill bit in place. There is a spare hex key for if you lose the screwdriver. This drill handle will fit the Carbide and Tungsten drill bits available as well as drill bits available from DSPAIE. They give you a case with 10 Tungsten drill bits from .3mm to 1.2mm. Its a great little tool. I have noticed Meng seems to be selling these tools under its own brand so you might find it cheaper and easier from anyone who sells Meng. I got this from China from XFree Hobby Store who are quite good.

h04852ee.JPG

hb97b346.JPG

hd4ce14f.JPG

James

Aren't those high speed bits or used it CNC machines?

At least the carbide ones (I think) that I have/had are so brittle they snap with the slightest side pressure.

Carbide does not bend . It is safer to use them with a Dremel than by hand, since it lessens the possibility of side motion.

Cheers, Christian B)

I have both Tungsten and Carbide and yes they are better used in a drill press. But for the size of holes I(m need to drill I do most by hand without a pin vise. I'm hoping this new one will give more control.

I bought a whole selection of those bits to use for lace holes, etc with sculpting. I intended on using them as is, spinning the barrel by hand since the material was relatively soft and I wasn't going deep. I broke all but a few of them in short order and then an engineer friend explained that they were solely meant for machine use, that any lateral pressure and they were done, which proved true in my case.

I hope you have better luck.

I found the Tamiya drill works nicely for most stuff if you pus a pin vise chuck in it, but my go to is an old battery powered Dremel I had. I cut the case down to just the head and soldered a 1/4" jack to the motor leads. Using a benchtop power source I can add so little current (around 1 volt) that you can see the revolution or dial it up to Dremel speed if necessary. Best part is the chuck adjusts down to my tiniest wire bits.

Thanks for the review James! (y)

If I see Corien and Evert from Breveco next occasion on some model show,I will ask if I can test it.
No doubt this is again high quality from DSPIAE.
( Funny thing,I agreed with Corien it's okay to call that company's name just: Disp YEAH!) :rotf

Added video review,check it out folks!

https://youtu.be/62leoP7tnwk

Back