• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Book Review: Soviet Armour in Foreign Wars

Sharkmouth

Information Overload
Staff member
I will admit that I found the book expensive but then, I did some more research. I didn't really find any book reviews on it.

It is a thick softcover, perfect bound, book with high quality semi-matte paper printed in color all the way through.
ITASovietArmourForeignWars01.jpg

Inside, you will find a small PE set produced by Voyager Models, and a decal sheet printed by Fantasy Workshop, both done for Inside the Armour. Deducting the price if a small PE fret and a comparable three color decal sheet, the price of the book then is within ball park. These decals include the Libyan scheme and Vietnamese too!
ITASovietArmourForeignWars02.jpg

One major reason for my smiles is the first chapter where Chris Meddings shows a scratchbuilt interior for the Dragon kit. I mean a complete interior!
ITASovietArmourForeignWars03.jpg

The second part is the painting and weathering...
ITASovietArmourForeignWars04.jpg

The rest of the chapters have a build, then a paint and weathering. In this one, Chris Meddings again builds the AFV.
ITASovietArmourForeignWars05.jpg

Jose Brito paints it.
ITASovietArmourForeignWars06.jpg

ITASovietArmourForeignWars07.jpg

ITASovietArmourForeignWars08.jpg

ITASovietArmourForeignWars09.jpg

ITASovietArmourForeignWars10.jpg

ITASovietArmourForeignWars11.jpg

ITASovietArmourForeignWars12.jpg

ITASovietArmourForeignWars13.jpg

ITASovietArmourForeignWars14.jpg

ITASovietArmourForeignWars15.jpg

ITASovietArmourForeignWars16.jpg

ITASovietArmourForeignWars17.jpg

ITASovietArmourForeignWars18.jpg

ITASovietArmourForeignWars19.jpg

About the only concern was that the color profiles (to aid in decal placement) show the white tank silhouette mirrored but the decals are correct and match the photos.
ITASovietArmourForeignWars20.jpg

hb67e596.jpg

h3b3f372.jpg

h8b91c90.jpg

hb47e420.jpg

h39ce4ce.jpg

Two more for the heck of it:

h34a8dba.jpg

h9bd25cb.jpg

All photos are in color, sharp and informative. The workmanship of the model is incredible and inspiring. It is a high quality publication, a worthy addition to my library, and I am left wondering why more people have written about it.

Regards,

Thanks Saul. I thought about getting this book when I first saw it but I guess it slipped my mind. Will have to order one. May have some good tips for the recce models Maus and I are trying to do....Okay he's doing and I'm thinking.
Well worth it in your opinion?
James

Back