• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Meng's 48th Scale P-51D Mustang

Sharkmouth

Information Overload
Staff member
When I heard of Meng's new P-51D, I was curious as to whether they scanned an aircraft. The moment I found out they were releasing a no-glue-needed model, I lost interest and decided to wait for the Airfix kit (which they did scan an actual Mustang). When released the price was high but the reviews did state a lot of positive things about this kit. See the links at the end for reviews and builds. One day, on a lark, I looked up the kit on eBay and won it for only $15.50USD! One can never have too many Mustangs if one loves sharkmouth schemes!

MengLS006P51DBoxArt.jpg

The box art. While it is nicely done, I personally do not like this one. I thought the images online had a yellowish filter but this is actually how the excellent artwork is printed on semi-matt cardboard. While I understand the Meng paid an artist to create this painting and therefore owns copyright, why isn't the artist credited?

MengLS006P51DBox.jpg

Inside, the box isn't completely full but all sprue trees are individually wrapped with the clear parts in a sticky thick cellophane as well (similar to food plastic wrap using static cling).

MengLS006P51DInstructionsA.jpg

The instructions remind me of Tamiya. There is a short history in Chinese, English, Japanese, and Russian. The last page, on the left here, shows one of two schemes possible. This is P-51D 44-15622, 356th FG, 9th AF, USAAF, piloted by Captain Richard Turner.

MengLS006P51DInstructionsB.jpg

The model is completed in 13 steps and you can see that there are only a few parts on the six sprue trees (see parts map on lower left). There are a few options but no indication which one to use for the markings included. For example, on the upper left we see two canopies but no part number. Other options mentioned are the exhausts, fuel tanks or bombs, rear radiator shutter, perforated or not covers over carburetor filters on the nose, and wheel covers (should wheels up be chosen). Not mentioned are the included paddle bladed prop and corresponding spinner.

MengLS006P51DSprueTreeA1.jpg

Both sides of the sprue tree marked A.
MengLS006P51DSprueTreeA2.jpg

MengLS006P51DSprueTreeA3.jpg

A closer look at the lower nose which is done with a multi-part mold. Panel lines are consistent (good) but the fasteners and piano hinge are recessed (bad). Luckily, not difficult to fix so I am still happy.

MengLS006P51DSprueTreeA4.jpg

This is the spinner for the cuffed blades used in the kit.

MengLS006P51DSprueTreeA5.jpg

This is the unmentioned spinner for the paddle bladed propeller.

MengLS006P51DSprueTreeA6.jpg

A closer look at the starboard center fuselage.

MengLS006P51DSprueTreeA7.jpg

Inner port side of cockpit has these pin marks which look as though they have been worked on. The throttle console is added so little (only some scuff marks) are seen.

MengLS006P51DSprueTreeA8.jpg

A molded on oxygen hose lets down the starboard cockpit wall.

MengLS006P51DSprueTreeB1.jpg

Sprue Tree B has parts (on the lower edge) which benefit from multi-part molds.
MengLS006P51DSprueTreeB2.jpg

MengLS006P51DSprueTreeB3.jpg

The guns have pilot holes.

MengLS006P51DSprueTreeC1.jpg

Sprue Tree C.
MengLS006P51DSprueTreeC2.jpg

MengLS006P51DSprueTreeC3.jpg

On actual combat aircraft many of these panel lines and rivets were puttied over.

MengLS006P51DSprueTreeD1.jpg

Sprue Tree D.
MengLS006P51DSprueTreeD2.jpg

MengLS006P51DSprueTreeD3.jpg

Throttle console. The shapes are basic but a nice foundation to work on.

MengLS006P51DSprueTreeD4.jpg

The cockpit floor.

MengLS006P51DSprueTreeD5.jpg

This is the first accurate kit included injection molded P-51D landing gear bay. Some work to do but the basic details are there.

MengLS006P51DSprueTreeD6.jpg

It couldn't have been that difficult to put the NAA logos on the rudder pedals...

MengLS006P51DSprueTreeE1.jpg

Sprue Tree E. Both propeller types and exhausts can be seen.
MengLS006P51DSprueTreeE2.jpg

MengLS006P51DSprueTreeE3.jpg

The exhausts are slide molded so starter holes are included (need enlarging).

MengLS006P51DSprueTreeE4.jpg

The instrument panel is nicely molded but I plan on using Yahu's excellent replacement (even though it is not made for this kit).

MengLS006P51DSprueTreeF1.jpg

Sprue Tree F for the clear parts.

MengLS006P51DSprueTreeF2.jpg

Standard and Dallas style canopies are included.

MengLS006P51DSprueTreeF3.jpg

The gun sight is a single part so careful painting is required to make it convincing, or simply replace it.

MengLS006P51DSprueTreexDecals.jpg

The decals...

MengLS006P51DSprueTreexDecals1.jpg

Note the way that swastikas are handled? They need a second layer on top to complete them. These decals are printed by Cartograf (see next to Meng's copyright) but are shiny. They are not outsourced as they are made in Italy (see under my copyright for the photo I took).

MengLS006P51DSprueTreexDecals2.jpg

Note the misspelling of Turner's name.

The accuracy of the kit markings have been called into question. My concern is that Meng doesn't mention which canopy, exhausts, or carburetor filter covers to use or whether the rear view mirror appears on the subjects of the decals.

American Beauty 44- 15459 (use perforated carburetor filter covers B3/B4, covered exhausts E16/E17, no rear view mirror F2, and standard canopy F5.)
USAAF-sn-44-15459-P-51-Mustang-Wartime-BW.jpg

A poorly colorized image:
USAAF-sn-44-15459-P-51D-Mustang-12AF-31FG308FS-HL-B-02.jpg

Here is Short Fuse Sallee 44-15622 (use perforated carburetor filter covers B3/B4, uncovered exhausts E14/E15, no rear view mirror F2, and standard canopy F5.)
dec3a105bdb177014611730c6a6eff1e.jpg

1641339058225.png

A different set of kill markings...
Maj_Richard_Turner_of_the_356th_FS_354th_FG_P-51D_44-15522_Short-Fuse_Sallee_Coded_Aj-T.jpg

Since there are several build reviews online, I have not tested the fit of parts as people have stated that they are difficult to take apart after. I plan to replace the decals so, in the end, I am quite pleased with this kit and agree with the following build reviews:
The Modelling News
Meng's Mustang by Gary

HyperScale
Meng's P-51D Construction Blog

Here is a post with a comparison to Tamiya's kit parts:
Meng's P-51D/K build with Xtradecal's markings

Thanks Saúl- saw it on sale the other day at Squadron but went with the G6-Rhino instead since I've done a number of Mustangs already ;). There is some nice detail there though!

Nice looking snap together.

More like squeeze together, similar to that used on 21st Century Toys. I don't think they were the one to patent the idea of press together for models though.

When I considered partnering in a model company, I became very familiar with the differences of terms such as patents, copyrights, service marks (sm), and trade marks (tm). They seem confusing at first but are clearly and legally defined as to what can be done and what can't, any term limits (sm and tm don't have any), and what is allowed (termed as 'fair use' of copyrighted material). The US doesn't make it easy so it is no wonder that the proliferation of new model companies are in Asia.

Regards,

A strange omission is the landing light...

Neither provided marking had the scoop over the battery vent hole during combat, however the war-birds flying with these markings today do have them.

hbbd3251.jpg

Regards,

Back