• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sprue Bros now a WNW Distributor

RichB

Sprue Brothers have announced that they have an agreement to sell Wingnut Wings kits.

"Wingnut Wings Ltd, a New Zealand based plastic model manufacturer, has reached an agreement with Sprue Brothers Models LLC/Douglas Model Distributors appointing us as their US products distributor/dealer.

Previously, retail customers could order only direct from Wingnut Wings in New Zealand. With this agreement, US customers will receive faster service at competitive prices. Wingnut Wings is the premier large scale scale World War I aircraft plastic model kit manufacturer.

Product availability (including the new Sopwith Camel kits) will be announced as it becomes available in the coming week(s)."

Cheers,
Rich

I figured that they would end up having WNW kits in their inventory sometime soon when I saw a WNW advertisement in Fine Scale Modeller looking for distributors. Have always received good service and decent prices from SB.

In Europe Hannents is selling and in Japan, Hobby Lobby. Supposedly there might be a Canadian dealer in the works. I hope so because shipping from sprue brothers would be close to the price of a kit. I looked at 3 books and a decal sheet and shipping was $70.00 US.

In Europe Hannents is selling and in Japan, Hobby Lobby. Supposedly there might be a Canadian dealer in the works. I hope so because shipping from sprue brothers would be close to the price of a kit. I looked at 3 books and a decal sheet and shipping was $70.00 US.

Sprue Bros. has a very strange shipping policy. They describe it on their info page but it doesn't exactly give you confidence. Long and short is, they charge exact shipping charged, but the estimate is often widely inflated.

I wanted to place an order for some Albion tubing but balked at their shipping estimate to me in NY, it as more than the entire order, if I recall correctly, it was around $16 for a few sets of tubing. They had a good price on the product, but I refused to get smoked on shipping. I looked elsewhere and kept putting it off. Finally there was a bunch of other stuff I needed and I bit the bullet and placed the order, high shipping or not. When they sent it, the entire order shipping was $4.

Their policy probably costs them a bit of business but I get where the problem is. I've sent a few 2 ounce envelopes to Canada in the past week, the quoted price and the price charged if I walk into the USPS office is $9.50. When I generate the label through PayPal, including customs, it's $2.50.

I'm not suggesting you gamble on trying to order, I know I'm not comfortable not knowing what you're going to get charged, just relaying my experience wit them..

Sprue Bros. has a very strange shipping policy. They describe it on their info page but it doesn't exactly give you confidence. Long and short is, they charge exact shipping charged, but the estimate is often widely inflated.

I wanted to place an order for some Albion tubing but balked at their shipping estimate to me in NY, it as more than the entire order, if I recall correctly, it was around $16 for a few sets of tubing. They had a good price on the product, but I refused to get smoked on shipping. I looked elsewhere and kept putting it off. Finally there was a bunch of other stuff I needed and I bit the bullet and placed the order, high shipping or not. When they sent it, the entire order shipping was $4.

Their policy probably costs them a bit of business but I get where the problem is. I've sent a few 2 ounce envelopes to Canada in the past week, the quoted price and the price charged if I walk into the USPS office is $9.50. When I generate the label through PayPal, including customs, it's $2.50.

I'm not suggesting you gamble on trying to order, I know I'm not comfortable not knowing what you're going to get charged, just relaying my experience wit them..

No its still bad for us. I stopped using them because of the high shipping. Last Cavalry is my standby, but even their shipping is through the roof now.
Anyways glad they picked it up down there. Still hoping someone will pick it up up here.
JAmes

Buying through WNW in New Zealand has come with free shipping to the US, now through Sprue Brothers it will now include inflated shipping costs, I dont see how that benefits the customer other than arriving a little quicker, or am I missing something?

WNW ended the free shipping a good year or so ago. They have since stopped direct sales and have been working to set-up a distribution network.

Cheers,
Rich

Noticed something in SB daily special last night and bought enough to bump over the $100 half price shipping. Two kits and some decals, shipping was $6.

I guess they can't do free shipping to our neighbor to the north though. :S. We have free shipping on orders over $200 here in the states.

Sprue Bro generally do best they can on shipping, often they will refund me money on shipping that's actually charged.

Glad to know they are carrying WnW, like I need another temptation...

Back