• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A Note About Knives

Gator

Afternoon gents. I'm sure many of you use the old stand by X-Acto knife as your go to hobby knife. While X-Acto has made a name for itself in the craft world, there are better alternatives.

As a sign professional, X-Acto use to be my knife and blade of preference until I discovered the Japanese manufacturer OLFA. Many of you have probably never heard of OLFA or another Japanese hobby knife maker NT Cutter. But I know you have heard of Tamiya. The one of the modeling knives sold by Tamiya is made by OLFA. While I am not sure of the other manufacturer, NT Cutter offers a handle that holds the same size blade.

IMG_4207_zpsig5zct4c.jpg

Let's look at the Tamiya Modeler's Knife Pro/OLFA Precision Art Knife.

In a side by side comparison, you can tell the are the exact same knife. What makes this knife special is the unique blade that comes with it, the Art Knife Blade. With a 45° slant, the blade's tip is fine enough for detail work yet sturdy enough to handle sheet styrene. The sharpness of the blade is everything you would expect from the country known for samurai sword, extremely sharp yet very durable. I have yet to break a tip. OLFA also offers a precision tip blade similar to the #11 blade by X-ACTO, a chisel blade and a carving blade. Two different saw blades are also available. The Tamiya Modeler's Knife Pro retails for between $14.99 and $20.00 while the OLFA Precision Art Knife can be found for just under $10.00.

IMG_4208_zpsrt4hpuyn.jpg

IMG_4210_zpsvis3hp1c.jpg

Tamiya's other hobby knife, the Design Knife, is a much smaller handle and geared more towards finer work. A good alternative for this knife is the family of NT Cutter's Art knives. Both are Japanese made and the blades, 30° and 45° are razor sharp and very durable. The 30° blade would be good for working with styrene while the 45° is a good precision blade for tape and decals. Both these blades come with the NT Cutter Art Knife while only the 45° comes with the Tamiya Design Knife. A resin handled NT Cutter Art Knife retails for $5.65 on Amazon while the Tamiya Design Knife retails for $15.85.

Pictured below is the resin handle Tamiya Design Knife and the NT Cutter aluminum handled Art Knife.

IMG_4209_zpss5bj3hzx.jpg

Thanks Kenny . Good to know info.

Years ago I found a small blade similar to one of those small ones . Best knife blade I Have ever had .

No markings and I have never been able to match it to anything. Would love having more like it.
'
Cheers, Christian B)

I've got an OLFA utility knife. Absolutely love it. I had no idea they made an X-acto size knife. :hmmm

Thanks for sharing! :drinks

Thanks Kenny . Good to know info.

Years ago I found a small blade similar to one of those small ones . Best knife blade I Have ever had .

No markings and I have never been able to match it to anything. Would love having more like it.
'
Cheers, Christian B)

Christian, the small blades like the one in the NT Cutter knife can be found here.

Very nice Kenny! Good info! While I have a bunch of the X-acto handles, the blades just don't seem to hold up. The steel just isn't all that tough in the X-acto blades.

I guess I will have to look into some of these real soon.

Very nice Kenny! Good info! While I have a bunch of the X-acto handles, the blades just don't seem to hold up. The steel just isn't all that tough in the X-acto blades.

I guess I will have to look into some of these real soon.
Having a nice sharp tip is essential in my line of work. I switched because I noticed that X-acto blades weren't holding up as well. The handle I use the most in a NT Cutter art knife that has twin tips. One end holds a 30º blade and the other end is a needle point. Each tip reverses to reveal a burnishing tip.
image_zpsnccmhdxu.jpeg

Kenny's gonna have us all switchin' knives..Has some nice looking blades on that site Kenny, I didn't see any prices though.

I like SHARP knives. You don't want to use my kitchen knife on anything but a cutting board, but it slices through stuff so nice and easy. . :D

What is that knife that looks like a pounce wheel, Kenny?

Paul, that is the NT Cutter knife handle. The cap has a round top but flat on the sides to grip it to remove it. I glued a magnet to the one I use at work. My drafting table has steel rails on the sides of the drawing surface and the magnet lets me put the cap on the rails so I don't lose it.

I bought the OLFA Hobby and Art knives a while ago, but didn't start using them until a few weeks ago. They blow away any X-acto I've ever had. The blades stay sharper longer than even the top of the line X-acto ones and the points don't snap.

I don't know why I put off using them so long, but I'll never look back now.

Now that they're in Lowes, I'll probably just grab one every trip.

Where will I find that?

The location should be shown under the free store pickup and should show you how many your local store has or you can check other stores. Ours were in tools, Aisle 66 Bay 2, no waiting. :laugh:

Going to try mine this morning.

B)

Damn you Mike.....now I'm going to have to swing by Lowes on my way home tonight. :drinks

I use the Olfa retractable utility knives and love them for general shop and home use.

And I probably still have a dozen or so Xacto blades left. :facepalm

Guys, especially Ausf, Michael's has them and they commonly offer a 50% off coupon. This is from my Latest Acquisitions post in October of 2016.

OlfaAndZblades.JPG

Regards,

Back