• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Photo Review: Special Hobby's AH-1G kits

Sharkmouth

Information Overload
Staff member
Nothing like an AH-1 Cobra and the G model is a favorite thanks to all the shark and snake schemes. I found these on sale for $4.95USD each so lets look inside. Only one of each sprue tree is in each kit.

Picked this one up since I saw the 20mm cannon on it.
SpcialHobby72274.JPG

Decals for Spain and Israel. Not a problem as I have aftermarket decals for several snakes.
SpcialHobby72274Decals.JPG

Famous even in USMC Helo history...
SpecialHobby72280.JPG

Decals for the Cobra are included along with a test bird.
SpcialHobby72280Decals.JPG

The blade antenna on the left is in both kits but the resin turret weight and plastic instrument boom are for one of the USMC kit schemes.
SpcialHobby7227472280F.JPG

Sprue trees with the fuselages, same in both kits.
SpcialHobby7227472280A.JPG

Sprue trees with the tails, rotors, and other details are the same in both kits.
SpcialHobby7227472280B.JPG

Sprue trees with cockpits are the same in both kits.
SpcialHobby7227472280C.JPG

Sprue trees with rotor detail, ground handling trailer, and other details are the same in both kits.
SpcialHobby7227472280D.JPG

Modified skids and the 20mm cannon are in both kits!
SpcialHobby7227472280E.JPG

The clear sprue is identical in both kits.
SpcialHobby7227472280G.JPG

Regards,

Now if they would only come out with a 1/48th scale kit of the "G" model. Not one decent kit in over 40yrs of the first purpose built attack chopper. And the best looking one to boot. Wait, I'm not dead yet. Gary

Don't forget, the canopies were tinted blue. Thanks for posting.

Weren't the blue canopies on the older ones... and phased out around 1972? I believe I read the TO and parts catalog mention it.

Wretched Mildred! How realistic is this scheme...? 1971 full sharkmouth then lost (why?) in 1972?
1631211205857.png

Also, Revell asks one to paint one rotor white... was this an early thing, late thing (as in Laos time), or just made up?
1631211288743.png

Regards,

2016-03-01_134836.jpg
01_Vietnam%20036.jpg
CPT%20Craney%20and%20Maxey.jpg

All of the Cobras in our unit had blue tinted canopies. Teeth on both sides and NO white on main rotor. Female Centaur only on lt. side of rotor pylon. Male Centaur on the rt. Cav. flags only on upper sync elevators. On the crashed Cobra "Kentucky Woman" 040 (is now at a VFW in Stateside, NC) notice the underside of the turret. More to follow. Gary S. XLV MMXXIV

Kentucky Woman 040 was an early Cobra with the landing lights in the nose so definitely the blue tinted canopies:
1631213458973.png

Dual minigun pods with the nose turret mini is a lot of steel rain! Mortars and rockets do validate the Aerial Artillery name.

Seems like the same sharkmouth but the nose light is painted over. I do know that a TO was sent to use a landing light under the nose. Was it possible this is Kentucky Woman updated?
1631214147029.png

I'd love to see more!

Regards,

In this photo, is the Centaur painted over the Blue Max? Also, how does one know if it is male or female? LOL...
1631213983278.png

Regards,

Kentucky Woman 040 was an early Cobra with the landing lights in the nose so definitely the blue tinted canopies:
View attachment 141194
Dual minigun pods with the nose turret mini is a lot of steel rain! Mortars and rockets do validate the Aerial Artillery name.

Seems like the same sharkmouth but the nose light is painted over. I do know that a TO was sent to use a landing light under the nose. Was it possible this is Kentucky Woman updated?
View attachment 141206

I'd love to see more!

Regards,
Even though the nose covering was clear, the landing lights were not installed. We painted over the clear. Later the replacement covers were zinc chromate. That's WO Randy Jones painting the teeth on 67-15546 "Mississippi Queen". Gary S. XLVMMXXIV

It would be Statesville, at the crossroads of I-77 and I-40. If you're a smoker, JR Cigars boasts the largest humidor in the area. Where the bird is located, I do not know.
NOTE:

Last edited:
Back