• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Plastic Surgeons Club Meeting

Rhino

Super Moderator
First IPMS Plastic Surgeons meeting 14 Janaury 2016. :yipee
22 Attendees, 4 new members, Hobbytown, Ankeny Iowa.
For Iron Mike, in particular!
IMG_4497_281024x76829.jpg

IMG_4498_281024x76829.jpg

Gundam enthusiast! a first! :good:
IMG_4500_281024x76829~0.jpg

IMG_4501_281024x76829.jpg

Interesting shot of Tim Bowden's 1/72 German armor, Mike Seek's Battlestar Galactica, and Don Barry, Aimee Wright, and Ross Petra's Mugs!
IMG_4504_281024x76829~0.jpg

My little Club, is on the grow! Special thanks to Hobbytown owner Dave Bos, for his promotion of the Club, and his welcoming us to his Place of business! :gogo :drinks :bang head :drool

Nice notice.. :smack

OK I couldn't have made it but still no notice.

Hi Joe and Aimee! :dude

Good size group...Lots of stuff on the table and :coolio Look at the stuff in the background :frantic

Need something like that here . :good: Jealous.

Cheers, Christian B)

Wait, what's a hobby shop?

I remember them from when I was a kid, how did you colorize that photo, it's obviously an old Black and White.

Seriously, although there's boxes of Horizon RTF stuff everywhere so he can stay in business, I do see K&S, Midwest balsa and what's that? kits? I even spot a DML on a shelf. Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen a DML in a LHS.

Great turnout.

YUP! A Hobby shop!
Despite our actions as a group, to find all the stuff we want on-line, these DO STILL exist!
What's amazing to to me after all these years, is to find a Surgeon-friendly Hobby shop! (y) Dave even stocks branded Silly Putty, and toys! Remember those little Rockets you put water in, and pump up with air to launch? Hobbytown has those too! :yipee

"Hostile Haven" has been less than welcoming to our Membership for many years. Geezo, we're all Modelers. We all have $$. :idonno :eek:ldguy

I was spoiled by the best shop imaginable near me as a kid. The owner or his sons would sit and guide you for hours, even if you only had mower money in your pocket. I went back a few times as an adult and was greeted exactly the same 'Hello young fella' in my forties that I heard when I was seven. :D

A shop that was close to me now was okay for RC stuff, but the attitude was horrible. The last time I was in there, I had my three year old son with me. So I could buy some time to get what I needed, I handed him a bottle of paint and asked him to keep shaking it for me, typical redirect. After I had a pile of stuff on the counter and was ready to check out, the owner (his was not kidding) pointed to my son's hand, then pointed to a sign behind the counter about shoplifters will be prosecuted.

I opened my son's hand, put the bottle on the counter and left about two hundred bucks worth of brass, balsa and paint where I put them and walked out without a word. Shop was closed about 6 months later.

Very cool. Wih our club would bring in work to show off or even show interest.
To be perfectly biased the best hobby shop I ever saw was my Dads and I worked in it for many a year. Payment, a kit of course :)
James

The next meeting is 28 January. I'd like to extend my personal Presidential invitation to all my M/A Brethren.
Website; Joe & Aimee do this! :ro:
http://ipms-plasticsurgeons.com/index.html

A shop that was close to me now was okay for RC stuff, but the attitude was horrible. The last time I was in there, I had my three year old son with me. So I could buy some time to get what I needed, I handed him a bottle of paint and asked him to keep shaking it for me, typical redirect. After I had a pile of stuff on the counter and was ready to check out, the owner (his was not kidding) pointed to my son's hand, then pointed to a sign behind the counter about shoplifters will be prosecuted.

I opened my son's hand, put the bottle on the counter and left about two hundred bucks worth of brass, balsa and paint where I put them and walked out without a word. Shop was closed about 6 months later.

Don't get me started with the attitude issues on LHS lately. I know they are taking a beating from online sales but they don't need to take it out on the folks who DO walk in. Don't lie to us and tell us Tenax is out of business because you don't stock the stuff. Honor the price marked, if it's marked wrong that's not my fault. If a stranger walks in, makes eye contact, walks around the store at lease acknowledge they were in the store.

Sorry Chris, maybe this should be another thread, didn't mean to hijack this.

See, this is how you post your categories.

SurgiconFlyer.jpg

Good job Joe and Aimee. :good:

Hi-Jack away, oh Wise & Powerful 'Pup! :good: I appreciate all the input. I find that some LHS's have few employees who know much about Models, Techniques and supplies. R/C seems all the rage, these days.

Tim Bowden, one of our new members, and a member of IPMS Hawkeye Modelers, works at our Hobbytown, part time. He's an Armor modeler, and former CVN-65 Machinist's Mate 2nd. He's a cool guy! Do not imply he was a BT. :vmad

The next meeting is 28 January. I'd like to extend my personal Presidential invitation to all my M/A Brethren.
Website; Joe & Aimee do this! :ro:
http://ipms-plasticsurgeons.com/index.html

Sorry Chris Mike says we're two weeks from anywhere . That does not give me enough time to make it by that date :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

2nd Meeting of 2016, 28 January
Webb Groos, and Don Barry looking over Don's Elefant. Yep. It BOKE! Bad boken, BAD!
IMG_4595.JPG

Show & Tell exhibitors;
Jeff Holle, and Joe Lotz
IMG_4596.JPG

Ray Powers & Denny Marshall
IMG_4599.JPG

Tim Bowden, Rollo, and Ron (Garden Railroad builder. Neet-o!!) Ron's 1/25th scale Saloon lives outside 3 seasons of the year.
IMG_4600.JPG

Mike Rasmussen is a big fan of The Munsters!! Mobius Herman Munster figure.
IMG_4601.JPG

Ray, Denny, Francisco, Ross, George, Jeff, Joe, Don, and Webb.
IMG_4598.JPG

Ron built this railroad caisson.
IMG_4602.JPG

IMG_4603.JPG

NIFTY!!!

Dammit, Rhino. You need to get Don the large drink next month. B)

Looks like you had fun, glad to see lots of models on the table.

Here's one of me, on a happy day in the sunshine. USCG 110-Footer, in the background. (y)
IMG_1209_281024x76829.jpg

So all can see what the man behind the camera looks like.

Back