• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Photo Review: Trumpeter's 35 Type 62 Light Tank

Sharkmouth

Information Overload
Staff member
A nice kit used by many smaller countries!

Angola (incorrectly labeled T-55 in Soldier of Fortune magazine):
he7e7c01.jpg

Congo:
h04905a1.jpg

h3cae38f.jpg

h4cff631.jpg

Bangladesh:
h39f186b.jpg

and others...

TrumpeterType62box.JPG

TrumpeterType62SprueA.JPG

TrumpeterType62SprueB.JPG

TrumpeterType62SprueCfront.JPG

TrumpeterType62SprueCrear.JPG

TrumpeterType62SprueDfront.JPG

TrumpeterType62SprueDrear.JPG

TrumpeterType62SprueHull1.JPG

TrumpeterType62SprueHull2.JPG

TrumpeterType62SprueT.JPG

TrumpeterType62SpruexPECable1.JPG

TrumpeterType62SpruexxDetailsA1.JPG

The bolts are slightly small...
TrumpeterType62SpruexxDetailsA2.JPG

h7c79c4f.jpg

TrumpeterType62SpruexxDetailsB1.JPG

TrumpeterType62SpruexxDetailsC1.JPG

TrumpeterType62SpruexxDetailsC2.JPG

TrumpeterType62SpruexxDetailsC3.JPG

TrumpeterType62SpruexxDetailsC4.JPG

TrumpeterType62SpruexxDetailsC5.JPG

TrumpeterType62SpruexxDetailsC6.JPG

TrumpeterType62SpruexxDetailsD1.JPG

TrumpeterType62SpruexxDetailsD2.JPG

TrumpeterType62SpruexxDetailsD3.JPG

Sadly, there is flash and the two piece barrel could have used at least the tip as a slide molded piece...
TrumpeterType62SpruexxDetailsD4.JPG

TrumpeterType62SpruexxDetailsD5.JPG

Compare to photo:
TrumpeterType62SpruexxDetailsD6.JPG

h28e3a5e.jpg

Nice details, compare to photo:
TrumpeterType62SpruexxDetailsHull1.JPG

TrumpeterType62SpruexxDetailsHull2.JPG

h210383b.jpg

The tracks should be handed with scooped out outer surfaces to the teeth. While moving the pin from one side to the other is tedious but not difficult, scooping out the teeth is more than I will do...
TrumpeterType62SpruexxDetailsT1.JPG

TrumpeterType62SpruexxDetailsT2.JPG

TrumpeterType62SpruexxDetailsT3.JPG

ha934fd7.jpg

Thanks Saul. Is the turret different from a regular T-62? Could you tell me what sets this apart from a Russian T-62. Thanks.
James

Thanks Saul. Is the turret different from a regular T-62? Could you tell me what sets this apart from a Russian T-62.

James, the Type 62 is a light tank developed from the Type59 (T-54 copy). It is 20% smaller with an 85mm gun, single road wheels and designed for China's southern regions. Exported to other countries in Asia and Africa.

Regards,

That's light?

Looks like some good opportunities for aftermarket, fun with the tracks also. (y)

That's light?

Looks like some good opportunities for aftermarket, fun with the tracks also. (y)

hard to tell, but it is smaller than teh T-55, and i think it used a smaller gun than the 100mm of the T-54/55 tank.

I really like the molding of the parts, and the 1-piece fuel drums are pretty neat. This is intersting, I do admit. Question: was this the type tank the North Vietnamese used in thier 1975 invasion of Saigon? If so, it actually may be intersting (though I bet really unpopular in some parts of the US) to use this tank + this set of figures i saw recently on ebay to depict that even in 1975:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-35-Chinese-PLA-Infantry-Tank-Rider-in-Vietnam-Sino-War-1979-Resin-Figure-Set-/261813503038

s-l300.jpg

Note also that ywith this kit you may have swap one or two of the SKS's.

EDIT: OK, for some reason the linkee no wrkee, so if you to ebay and type PLA TANK RIDERS it will pop right up

It is 20% smaller with an 85mm gun, single road wheels and designed for China's southern regions.

hard to tell, but it is smaller than teh T-55, and i think it used a smaller gun than the 100mm of the T-54/55 tank.

I did answer that it was smaller.

Regards,

My apologies Sir, I did not mean to upset you

Do you know if this is the type tank used by the VN in thier push into Saigon in 1975?

I think the first of these two maybe a a T-54 & a T-55 (or thier Chi-com counterparts) but hard to tell in that 3rd pic

My apologies Sir, I did not mean to upset you

No need to apologize as I am not upset. I simply wonder if you read my comments.

To answer your question, the North Vietnamese had T-54 and Type 59 (Chinese manufactured T-54 tanks) at their disposal. This is what you see in the images you posted.

Later, they did get the Type 62 Light tanks after their 'war' (more of a skirmish) with China.

James, the kit was released in China first so it was available on eBay but it seems to have sold out. Do not pay the ridiculously high prices on those eBay vendors from Germany. Usually, when kits make it to China's market, the prices are cheap everywhere as the 'shine' has worn off, no so with this release!

Regards,

Thanks Saul. Checked some of my favs and could not find. Wouldnt ever get the high priced ones, especially with the dollar so low. Will keep an eye out. Patiently waiting for the new Takom T-55s also.
James

Using matrix bands as mentioned by Paul Budzik on his site. However, he doesn't describe how to use them and the set I bought off eBay lacked instructions.
TrumpType62Build01.JPG

Note the gap which I will fill with strips of styrene and cover with stretched sprue weld beads...
TrumpType62Build02.JPG

Anyone want to know how the matrix bands work?

Regards,

Using matrix bands as mentioned by Paul Budzik on his site. However, he doesn't describe how to use them and the set I bought off eBay lacked instructions.
TrumpType62Build01.JPG

Note the gap which I will fill with strips of styrene and cover with stretched sprue weld beads...
TrumpType62Build02.JPG

Anyone want to know how the matrix bands work?

Regards,

yes please and thank you!

Well, exploring Paul Budzik's site, he does go into instructions on the matrix bands!

First, cut a 3 inch (approx 8 cm) length of the stainless steel matrix band which is sold separately:
matrix-band-roll-uW5h.jpg

Let's look at the tool to ensure we understand the parts which make it work:
US2502903-0.png

Note that it can be used in three positions (illustrated by the circles marked 'B' and the screw (item number 15) is no longer used. Position the metal band as in the photo below. A tip, since the metal band comes in a roll, it tends to curl. Wrapping the ends against the curl will create a wider loop and some tension when slipping it into the tool. If the band won't seat into slot (item 20), the turn knob (25) counter-clockwise to withdraw part H (the point (item 24) is used to secure the band from slipping out of the slot).

matrixband_02.jpg

After seating the band, turn knob 25 clockwise to hold it in place.

Below, we see the action... after seating the band, turn knob A clockwise to tighten. Slip barrel halves into loop and the knurled area B clockwise to pull the assembly apart causing the band to tighten around the barrel (perfectly aligning the halves).
MatrixBands01.JPG

TrumpType62Build01.JPG

Regards,

Back