• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Laughter and tears

Thanks Saul
Not sure why two of the pics are the same ? I dont suppose i can edit that.

That's a moving story- and a nice write-up- cheers, Paddy! Man, that guy was quite the cartoonist for that era- beautiful pics.

I tell ya what, if you guys know some of these men who fought that war, or any of them. Spend some times with them and just listen.

I have a friend, unfortunately he has not been doing well lately and I doubt I will get any more stories from him.

He was a P47 pilot, 406 Fighter Group, 515th Sq. You can read his name mentioned a couple of times on this website. http://406thfightergroup.org/513th-p1.php His name is Roddy Ellis.

It started when we had dinner one time at his house, he married a former neighbor widow of ours and she turned on the Southern Hospitality for us to meet him, he is 20 years older than her.

He told me he was a fighter pilot in Europe so of course that piqued my interest, I just asked a couple of questions, not really prying, I know those guys can be very private about their experiences. For some reason he opened up with me, I guess because I asked the questions in genuine interest.

(copying some of this from a previous post I made so it may sound familiar to some of y'all)

One story he told was about his wingman's aircraft blowing up in front of him.

They were strafing retreating Germans and barges on the Seine river, there was 4 of them. He and his wingman were in the newer P47D-25, he said they had about 40 more gallons of fuel than the lead element who were flying Razorbacks. He said tonight that his group were the first to use the 5inch HVAR and they were working closely with Pattons 3rd Army in support. From previous conversations I figured he was in the 406th FG. If this reconcile with the history of the group I don't know, I figure he's 90+ so give him break if it's not 100%.

They received a support call for just up the bend of the river and his leader assigned his element to go since they had more fuel and some rockets left. While they were making a run they were jumped by a flight of FW190 and before he knew what was going on he saw his wingman's aircraft blow up in his windscreen and had to fly through the smoke and debris.

He told me about trying to get out of this German's gunsight with 3 other Germans waiting to take aim at him. He went tree top and steeple level trying to shake them. He notice two peal off, later learning they were engaging his lead element who were on the way to help him. More evasive maneuvers and the wingman of the 190 on his tail clipped a tree and cartwheeled into the ground. A few seconds later his tail is clear and he sees German speeding off over the river. He guesses he was as low on fuel as he was.

During debriefing they learn they were jumped buy a German ace by the name of Emil "Bully" Lang. Several days later Lang was shot down also. His wingman was Lang's 165th kill(not sure if this is correct).

The great part of the story was several years ago he went back to France and visited his wingman's grave near Vernon, while standing there he noticed someone standing next to him. The gentleman ask Roddy if he knew his brother (I still get choked up). Roddy told him about what happened, seems he had never know anything other than he was killed in combat. Roddy told him that for all these years he had wondered "why him and not me".

The Brother gave him comfort by saying it's God's plan and He and Roddy would have never met if it had turned out any differently. They are now the greatest of friends and talk on the anniversary of his brothers death. That's why these guys are the greatest generation.

Thanks for bringing this to us Paddy :mpup

So many with a tale to tell MP :)
Thanks for sorting my pictures .
Dumbo must have been cutting edge in 1942 !!

GeorgeRaraey.jpg

Amazing review Paddy. Excellent story as well Bob. I've always liked the stories from the common soldier and airmen, they make the whole thing seem more personal.

I tell ya what, if you guys know some of these men who fought that war, or any of them. Spend some times with them and just listen.

I have a friend, unfortunately he has not been doing well lately and I doubt I will get any more stories from him.

He was a P47 pilot, 406 Fighter Group, 515th Sq. You can read his name mentioned a couple of times on this website. http://406thfightergroup.org/513th-p1.php His name is Roddy Ellis.

It started when we had dinner one time at his house, he married a former neighbor widow of ours and she turned on the Southern Hospitality for us to meet him, he is 20 years older than her.

He told me he was a fighter pilot in Europe so of course that piqued my interest, I just asked a couple of questions, not really prying, I know those guys can be very private about their experiences. For some reason he opened up with me, I guess because I asked the questions in genuine interest.

(copying some of this from a previous post I made so it may sound familiar to some of y'all)

One story he told was about his wingman's aircraft blowing up in front of him.

They were strafing retreating Germans and barges on the Seine river, there was 4 of them. He and his wingman were in the newer P47D-25, he said they had about 40 more gallons of fuel than the lead element who were flying Razorbacks. He said tonight that his group were the first to use the 5inch HVAR and they were working closely with Pattons 3rd Army in support. From previous conversations I figured he was in the 406th FG. If this reconcile with the history of the group I don't know, I figure he's 90+ so give him break if it's not 100%.

They received a support call for just up the bend of the river and his leader assigned his element to go since they had more fuel and some rockets left. While they were making a run they were jumped by a flight of FW190 and before he knew what was going on he saw his wingman's aircraft blow up in his windscreen and had to fly through the smoke and debris.

He told me about trying to get out of this German's gunsight with 3 other Germans waiting to take aim at him. He went tree top and steeple level trying to shake them. He notice two peal off, later learning they were engaging his lead element who were on the way to help him. More evasive maneuvers and the wingman of the 190 on his tail clipped a tree and cartwheeled into the ground. A few seconds later his tail is clear and he sees German speeding off over the river. He guesses he was as low on fuel as he was.

During debriefing they learn they were jumped buy a German ace by the name of Emil "Bully" Lang. Several days later Lang was shot down also. His wingman was Lang's 165th kill(not sure if this is correct).

The great part of the story was several years ago he went back to France and visited his wingman's grave near Vernon, while standing there he noticed someone standing next to him. The gentleman ask Roddy if he knew his brother (I still get choked up). Roddy told him about what happened, seems he had never know anything other than he was killed in combat. Roddy told him that for all these years he had wondered "why him and not me".

The Brother gave him comfort by saying it's God's plan and He and Roddy would have never met if it had turned out any differently. They are now the greatest of friends and talk on the anniversary of his brothers death. That's why these guys are the greatest generation.

Thanks for bringing this to us Paddy :mpup

Just wanted to share with you all.

Just got word that we've lost another of the Greatest Generation.

Roddy Ellis gone to his well deserved reward yesterday. I'm so glad I was able to get to know him and have him share some of his stories with me.

Rest in Peace Roddy Ellis.

The title of this story should be “Good Landing”.

I was told this story many years ago by Dr. William Johnson. He was treating a woman in his office and noticed that her husband kept checking his watch repeatedly and asked him if there was a time problem. The man said “no”, that it was an old habit of his from when he was a pilot in WWII.
As it turns out, he was a P-51 pilot in the ET. After talking for a while he opened up with an incredible story. His flight had just crossed over the French coast around the Abbyville area when he noticed a B-17 being attacked by some 109’s at a much lower altitude that theirs. He proceeded to go into a dive at full throttle. As he was getting closer to the rear 109 he shot a bust at it and it went down. About that time his engine started to sputter and cough. He was near the old aerodrome that was once used by the Germans and now abandoned. Well his engine finally gave up and he was going to dead stick it in. As he was coming in to land gear up there was a big pile of dirt on the runway that he had to zoom over before landing. He noticed up ahead in a field was a French farmer chasing a pig. Still going pretty fast he tried to avoid the farmer and in doing so his rt. wing hit a pole that sheared the wing off and now going towards the farmer trying to get out of the way. Then his lt. wing hit another pole and that sheared off the left wing. When he finally stopped and the dust settled the farmer came up to open the canopy, patted him on the head and said” Good landing!!!”. He got out of the cockpit and they ran for cover as he heard shooting. He notice a Canadian officer on a rise not to far away waving at them to come over to him. When the pilot ran over to where the Canadian was he made him hunch down as a folly of bullets went over their heads. Apparently they were in between the Canadians and a group of Germans trying to capture him. That’s about it to the best of my recollection .

Just wanted to get this story in print before it's forgotten. Gary S.

Back