• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Surprise WNW release for Christmas

jknaus

Administrator
Well this is exciting. WNW is releasing a Sopwith 5F.1 Dolphin for Christmas. :yipee
Mine are ordered :D

main.png

Saul, the first one is for you :evil:

Reasonable at $79.00.

James

This is the one they tried to sneak up under someone and take them out? Guess they had to try a little of everything.

This is the one they tried to sneak up under someone and take them out? Guess they had to try a little of everything.

Yeah, this was a high altitude fighter and although unliked by the pilots the guns would allow one to come up on a Zepplin from below. They also carried 2 303s firing through the prop and 2 Sqns experimented with attaching the Lewis guns to the lower wings to fire outside the prop.
One of the paint schemes has a bomb rack as towards the end of the war the Allies were using everything to try and strafe and bomb the trenches.

If it wasn't for all those turnbuckles i would build them al.

They scare me also but these kits are so nice its worth the attempt. You might be surprised and love stringbags if you got one.

I wonder if we don't sometimes overdo the turnbuckles. Looking back at my photos from the RAF they don't jump out at me.

Read on Wiki that one of these are at RAF Museum in London but it sure wasn't on display when I went.

I have 2 coming and the Boars Mouth is a must do. And in the ref pics I have found my really must do, a bird from Canuckistan :yipee

hc23d288.jpg

Now to try and find decals or enough info to make my own :D
James

Nice James! Those decals should be easy enough, surely you can find a Maple Leaf around there somewheres. I think it's clear that it would be red, not only for obvious reason but the grey scale matches the roundel and the tail.

I thought green but I see your point. Found this though just to muddy the waters.

101_2.jpg

And this with a different s/n.

101_1.jpg

:idonno

James

And this :

"Produced serials were from E4629 up to E5128. E4764 shows the insignia of No.1 Squadron, Canadian Air Force. The colour of the maple leaf varied from aircraft to aircraft, possible in flight sequence, but details are not known. "

For added confusion, in RAF officialdom No. 1 Squadron, Canadian Air Force was also known as No. 81 (Canadian) Squadron.

The Dolphins did not stay on squadron very long. From stand up on 20 Nov 1918, they had flight restrictions put on them in Feb 1919 and by April 1919 they had been replaced by SE.5a's.

An 81 Sqn history page suggests the aircraft may have carried a fawn coloured maple leaf (light golden yellow) vice a blue maple leaf. How ever, yellows and reds show up much darker than blue on the orthochromatic pictures of the day.

Cheers,
Rich

Or green like it is on the Pheon decal sheet for Snipes & Fokkers. :facepalm

Cheers,
Rich

After further review...

Looking at the picture of the Fokker D.VII, the maple leaf looks to be very close in tone to that found on Dolphin F7085. Also comparing it to the lozenge pattern painted on the upper cowl, the lighter colour is a purplish-blue and looks in similar tone to the maple leaf. The darker colour in the pattern is dark green.

Fokkers6.jpg

Taking a leap in logic, the gentleman in the picture is Capt. A.E. McKeever, CO of No. 1 Sqn and the top scoring two-seater ace in the RFC/RAF with 31 kills. As far back as the 1870's, Toronto's upper echelon sports teams wore blue and white. Being a good Ontario boy and attending high school in Toronto, it is possible that he would adopt a blue maple leaf with white trim and number for his "personal aircraft" now that he was a CO and the rest of the unit aircraft marking reversed.

The style of the maple leaf is based on the cap and collar badges of the Canadian Corps.

Canadian2520Maple2520Leaf2520collar2520badge2520ww12C2520292520x252031mm252028129.jpg

So, in summary, I am leaning towards a blue maple leaf for Dolphin F7085 and Fokker D.VII 8493/18 and a white maple leaf for the other two Dolphins.

:tomato

Cheers,
Rich

Back