• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 USCG Point Class Patrol Boat model kit

Rhino

Super Moderator
Progress is being made on the US Coast Guard Point-class Cutter kit. The for market kit will include 2 Point-Class 82-foot Cutters, brass rod for the masts & boom, a supply barge, and 2 RHIB boats. TLAR's actual Second model may beat the Shrimp boats to market. (The complex P/E for the Shrimper's outriggers, mast & booms is stalled) Anyhow, these are the styrene masters that went under the RTV for molding today. :captain
IMG_5091.JPG

IMG_5093.JPG

I had room in the mold box for another small vessel, so I added a 60-foot Elco Half-hardtop boat. Orca looks on wistfully. Orca thought She was scheduled to be the second TLAR kit. :idonno
IMG_5098.JPG

Many of us have seen an 82-foot Cutter before;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcxWHzA8B8I
See?!?

U'd like to put a request in, SS Minnow. I always thought Orca and the Minnow looked a lot alike. :captain

HA! Orca and SS Minnow DO look alike!! :rotf
Pouring Castings, waiting, cleaning, pouring, etc. continues. I had some less-than-perfect examples that I would not be pleased to sell, so I'm building the Kit Contents for the packaging picture.
2 82-Foot Point Class US Coast Guard WPB's with 1 supply barge. The barge begged to be played with! Chimney for a furnace and generator, open door for supply transfer, a hoist (that no one ever uses) and an Ice machine. What clever Master Chief wouldn't want to sell ice to outgoing WPB's? The fuel barrels and the tomato garden (watered by the condensate drain from the ice machine of course!) follow after painting. None of the extra parts for the barge come in the Kit.
IMG_5154.JPG

IMG_5153.JPG

I bought the 1/700 DO-24 Flying Boats from Echoco, on Shapeways. DO NOT BUY these!! The scale thickness of wings, struts and empennage are amazing, but when you gently clip them off the 3D sprues they dissolve in to 5 pieces. By the time you C/A glue them back together, they look like hammered dog poop. The DO-24's are not cheap.

I sent my concerns about the 1/700 DO-24's to the Shapeways designer, Echoco, and I already have his repsonse:

I'm sorry to hear that.
Not much I could say, there is a massive drawback to the models I design.
It's probably for the best that you decide to look for more durable models.

And so I shall.

It was a fine Model Week-end. The "Micro Fleet" 29 May 2016.
IMG_5536.JPG

"Micro Fleet" 30 May 2016 It'd hard to tell, but both 82-footers are in Tamiya white.
IMG_5545.JPG

YR (Radio Repair Barge) in Future, ready of a bit rusty wash, then flat coat. Old Tires, 1/700 Tomato patch, and radio whip to come.
IMG_5541.JPG

The black pre-shading on the horizontal surfaces doesn't show up well on the 4 PCF Swift boats, but I DID do it!
IMG_5542.JPG

Mast, Booms, Guns & platforms today. A poor attempt at Bridge windows as well. Progress in any case! :yipee
IMG_5714.JPG

No tomato garden for the YR barge yet. Soon! This kit is almost ready to go to Market.
IMG_5715.JPG

Thanks Men, for your support!!

BIGGER?!? :rotf I already volunteered to build an 1/48 F-100C :frantic for the Iowa Aviation Museum. I'll mark it as Gen'l Acheson's Jet, from days long gone. :drinks
In any case, more Bitty Cutter progress! :yipee
Radio aerial, and tomato planter for the Radar Repair YR Barge. I modified 3D printed RHIB Boats, to fit the Point Class Cutters.
IMG_5718.JPG

Still need to slow down on the bridge windows. :bang head
IMG_5721.JPG

The PBR is an L'arsenal boat. with a wee bit o' imagination, (and p/e guns, radio whip, search radar) She could be taking Captain Willard "Up River". (1/700 Water-skier?! Hmm...........)
IMG_5724.JPG

Once I get them Durn winders right, I'll be a Happy Guy!!
Thanks for looking in!!

If My Brothers are interested, This kit is currently listed on eBay. Or I/M me and i'll be delighted to make a Paypal deal!

Thanks again!

Well, I had help with my instruction sheet, and packed up 2 kits to sell, but no takers. Having learned a bunch,working on the 110-footer Kit, I had another look-see at the Point Class Boats. It's good no one bought any, as they had gross inaccuracies. So begins the USCG Point Class WPB 2.0. New Masters almost ready to mold. One of my gripes was about the over-sized RHIB boats. As it turns out, they aren't that hard to MAKE!! (I squandered a bunch of $$ on RHIB boats, of late) I even made the 4.7 meter RHIB for the 110-Foot Island class Cutter! :yipee
I'm doing my best to beat the 3D Printer crowd to market with my old-school (BIG surprise) resin cast USCG Point Class Boats. :bang head :rotf
IMG_5739.JPG

I did my utmost to reproduce the very disticntive bow profile of the ol' 82-footers. USCGC Point Welcome, in Her Vietnam fit.
Point_Welcome.jpg

Thanks for looking in! :salute

Back