• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Take 'em out!

Ken Abrams

So I am going to use a couple old Dragon figures with a bazooka and one of the new Gen2 armored infantry figures (crouching guy) and try to position them convincingly around the well, like they are seeking cover while attempting to knock out one of those nasty German things.

I originally wanted to use some airborne dudes but that's another story so these guys will work just fine.

B)

*starting to get my modelling mojo back

well-build_1_20100904_1317128918.jpg

Best of luck, Ken! I'm sure you will do justice to the project and the rest of us will learn something along the way. (y)

Thanks for the interest guys!

I actually got a little done today while the house was quiet. Sorry for the crappy pictures, battery is dead on the camera so I had to use my phone. I'll get better pictures as I start making real progress, this is just to get the idea across...

:pinch:

one_1_20100904_1820843056.jpg

two_2_20100904_2079298851.jpg

jknaus wrote:
Thats a big well.

Right? That's exactly what I thought when I put the figures next to it...

:hmmm

jknaus wrote:
Where did you get the base from? It looks nice.
James

Thanks, I made it in my shop.

(along with a bunch of others that I need to finish and send to Andy...) :blush:

That looks pretty sweet Ken-- what did you use for paint on the well if you don't mind my asking??

That's really nice, Ken- I hadn't reckoned on such a bucolic scene! In my tiny mid this thing would be set on cobbles- but the ref proves you right. Excellent composition.

Cheers!
chuk

First that struck me was the size of the well also too... Looking good Kenneth and I know you'll knock this one for six. I know they are in initial poses only, but does the bazooka man set to fire marry up with the other two for this snapshot of action? Would maybe a slight downwards tilt to the bazooka work better? :hmmm
I agree Chuck, that the rural-ish setting had me thinking hmmm, but it does work fo sho...

chukw wrote:
That's really nice, Ken- I hadn't reckoned on such a bucolic scene!

All except the bazooka I guess :laugh:

Brad

Yeah Moony, that's just fiddelin'. When I was little my dad had a huge train layout in the basement and I used to be the groundwork guy and I really took a liking to it. There's just a few little tufts of grass and some pigments so far, not really sure where I'm going from here. :hmmm

Mike, you can ask me whatever you want bud. In fact, I'm glad you asked. The well was painted with Badgers paint line Model Flex for the base colors. I received the railroad set as a prize and figured I'd try them out. Weathered black for starters, lightened up with antique white for highlights and then straight antique white for the grout lines. I then added some random Windsor Newton oil colors to individual stones as filters to change the colors up a bit. :Hiay

Chuck, thanks for stopping in. I really enjoyed that five dollar word BTW, actually had to look it up just to make sure I remembered the definition correctly. :whistle: So I too wondered how it would be received placing the well in this setting, not really sure if it's close to accurate but I just wanted to be different I guess. I envisioned a forgotten well in the country side that may have dried up or broken, it will be slightly overgrown due to the lack of use, which in turn will offer the soldiers a bit of cover. I very well could be so deep in the fictional realm that Greedo wouldn't look out of place but I can't turn back now. :pp

B-Rad, feel free to help me out with matching these guys up with tweaks and ideas but yeah, these initial poses will be slightly different since they are just sitting on the wooden base in that picture and now, I have a rough, uneven surface on top. That small pad around the well base is now even (or close to) with the ground level and no longer a raised surface.

I'll try to get some basic colors on these guys and re-post a picture with them in place for your feedback.

Thanks all. :peace

Back