• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Modeling for Competition:Basic Contruction

I think we just got our Greenlight! Go man go!

Great article Terry. Think you got all bases covered, folks first starting off in the hobby will benefit from this as well as we who have been hacking at it for so long.

(y)

Sweet!

My 1/72 F4U 1-D came in from Japan on Thursday, so I'm ready. :D

Now, here's my question, the kit has a bunch of inaccuracies according to references and besides the fixes, I plan on going overboard with the landing/formation/ID lights, etc as well as converting it into folded wings. A lot of the detail has to be done before basic construction, should I start now or wait?

Great Article Terry!
Wish I had more time to follow along with a build of my own...
//Mats

These are excellent details on how to get started. I like it. However, I would like to suggest some possible addendums to these instructions:

a) Sometimes, you do need to skip ahead or do a certain assembly process out of the sequence that the instructions give. Reading and studying the instructions helps to see this and prepare for that possibility should it occur.

b) I think we should add some basic putty/filler to the list of tools that should be used, given the need to do so on many different kits. Achieving the basics does include making sure all gaps and seams are sealed properly.

Just my two cents. Maybe you are starting a bit more basic course than I interpreted; if so, disregard my suggestions as being for a more intermediate course.

Okay, now I need to get my model together and get started on it.

Point a) I think that's something that comes from experience Mark. Also depends on the instructions of the kit, we all have seen instructions that were merely suggestions then others you better follow to the letter the sequence of events.

These are excellent details on how to get started. I like it. However, I would like to suggest some possible addendums to these instructions:

a) Sometimes, you do need to skip ahead or do a certain assembly process out of the sequence that the instructions give. Reading and studying the instructions helps to see this and prepare for that possibility should it occur.

b) I think we should add some basic putty/filler to the list of tools that should be used, given the need to do so on many different kits. Achieving the basics does include making sure all gaps and seams are sealed properly.

Just my two cents. Maybe you are starting a bit more basic course than I interpreted; if so, disregard my suggestions as being for a more intermediate course.

Okay, now I need to get my model together and get started on it.

There is nothing basic about putty and filler, however I'm sure we'll learn all about it during our build. To tell someone starting out to skip around is a recipe for modeling disaster.

B)

With all of the online resources available today I consider part of the research phase is looking for other build logs for the kit you are planning on building. While everyone has their own level of pain quite often you find for a certain kit that everyone finds the same pit fall whether it be a fit issue or an assembly sequence that would work better than what the instructions may call for. In that case some variation from the instructions may be helpful but as a general rule what Terry said is the best advice if you have no feedback to the contrary.

Ok .... Green, ... Green, ... Green !!! ... My Book on the Dauntless will be Here this week ... I finally was able to order it ... but I have lots of Photos that Mike & other have sent Me ... the little lock thingie is gonna be hard to create ... but must be done ... Also just paid for my Eduard PE additions they're coming from Jolly 'ol I believe ... So I can't wait to get started ... Lots of Photos and lots of other life things in the way ... :woohoo:

Thanks for the write up Mr. T ... excellent as always ... Now Ya'll don't get side-tracked ... stay on the Main Line ... Let's build some Models ... For Competition I'm sure Mr. T will expect Mine @ Eagle Quest next Year ...

I'll be there ... I might have enough Money saved so I can do both ... Scale & Eagle ... Can't wait to get Home and start cutting some sprue ... I can almost find my paint booth ... :captain

I still have a ton of work to do in the Hobby Room before I can get back to the workbench. Don't believe me? Check out the "What's on the Workbench?" Thread to see all the things I still need to put away. You may have to go back a few pages. Besides, I'm still a little unclear on how we are supposed to start this and be graded on it.

I still have a ton of work to do in the Hobby Room before I can get back to the workbench. Don't believe me? Check out the "What's on the Workbench?" Thread to see all the things I still need to put away. You may have to go back a few pages. Besides, I'm still a little unclear on how we are supposed to start this and be graded on it.

take your time.

B)

Thanks! I managed to get the closet cleaned out and condensed down. Sill have a ways to go, but I'm seeing some daylight now. I found a ton of things in that closet; many of which I can sell or donate to my club's Distressed Kit Auction. Now to get them out of the room and move on to another section that needs cleaning...

At this rate; I might be finished enough to start working on something by next month. :java :gogo

Back