• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Changing up, now a Tamiya 1/72 F4U-1D.

ausf

Master at Arms
In light of the research aspect, I have a great book on the Corsair with so much info, I think I'm better off going this direction instead of the FW-190 of which I have nothing on hand (short of the interwebs of course). Plus 1/72 will really concentrate my attention.

Kit is on order, so I'll add the startup photo when it arrives.

h3c0876d.jpg

No problem with that. ;)

I plan on detailing the heck out it with brass, wire and sculpting as much as possible, all backed up by photos. This book has an amazing amount of detail photos of every aspect, much more than I think I could assemble and keep track of via the internet for the 190.

Just reading some reviews on the kit itself shows that there's a flap issue to be corrected, so they'll be that bit of practice for me too.

I thought over what to do, in actuality I should go with German armor, I have the equivalent of a small library of ref material and an overflowing stash, but I also don't want to be bogged down. I could find myself getting too lost in detail and never finishing.

By going 1/72 AC, there's only so much detail that can be squeezed in, and what is will need to be so clean, it'll force me to up my game in terms of building/finishing. When I get the kit I may look into changing the position of the control surfaces, etc. maybe even folded wings. :D

I finally got the kit, here's the startup photo showing both kit and excellent ref book:

hfb8a580.jpg

A few areas to be addressed regarding the kit, the window in the fuse and the landing light were not on the D, so will need to be eliminated. I'm also going with wings folded with flaps deployed so there's a lot of cutting: The green is to fill, the red is to cut and open:

h8ff59ad.jpg

And on the wing top (RS), the D had a teardrop light:

h139b952.jpg

I see a lot of tiny details in my future, but the biggest challenge I see will be figuring out the fold and stay that can be assembled after painting since there's little room on the wing tops after for ny paint or decals.

I'm going no aftermarket with this, but I'll need to use wire, brass and styrene stock, so I guess it won't be a true OOB.

Oh, this should be fun (y) :good:

I have had a Corsair on my mind as of late, so who knows :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

This one must be a pleasure to watch...for sure a reference for my quarter scale in a near future :eek:ldguy ... :popcorn. :popcorn ....

Luiz

Back