• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

M4 sherman RETURN ROLLERS STEEL OR RUBBER

alex

i know this argument has often been featured in other places but i wish to get your feedback on this in the light of a some photos i came by recently. most experts claim that the rollers where exclusively steel but take a look at these pics and share your views or info please
m4r1.jpg

ROLLER3.jpg

ROLLER4.jpg

Great pictures. I know this about Shermans - if you think you have got it figured out - someone will show you that you don't.

Hi Alex:

It is always dangerous to use words like "all" "always" and "never" :unsure: .

I may be wrong about this, but I believe the answer is that when the "E-8" suspension showed up, the return rollers got a rubber rim. Everything before that had all steel return and idler wheels.

Gary B)

G Cooper wrote:
Hi Alex:

It is always dangerous to use words like "all" "always" and "never" :unsure: .

I may be wrong about this, but I believe the answer is that when the "E-8" suspension showed up, the return rollers got a rubber rim. Everything before that had all steel return and idler wheels.

Gary B)
YES BUT THE THING IS these are not e8 wheels they are too thick

Well now, isn't that just a pickle :idonno :hmmm

This is exactly why I used the statements "I may be wrong" :pinch: and using words like "never" etc. Now I have my political back door to run out of :laugh:

You are right that this is not a return roller from an E-8 suspension. But now my question would be. Are you certain that this return roller is from an M-4 ? But now I need to just be willing to say; I don't know now. So now I am interested myself to watch this and see what someone that has waaaaay more knowledge than me (almost everyone :p ) on this than me has to say about it.

Gary B)

G Cooper wrote:
Well now, isn't that just a pickle :idonno :hmmm

This is exactly why I used the statements "I may be wrong" :pinch: and using words like "never" etc. Now I have my political back door to run out of :laugh:

You are right that this is not a return roller from an E-8 suspension. But now my question would be. Are you certain that this return roller is from an M-4 ? But now I need to just be willing to say; I don't know now. So now I am interested myself to watch this and see what someone that has waaaaay more knowledge than me (almost everyone :p ) on this than me has to say about it.

Gary B)
that makes two of us at leat for a couple of hours more. by that time my main worry would be to find some more space for some more devils brew that is if im still upright, and no im not driving and its the only time of the year when i realy indulge

HAPPY NEW YEAR FREIND

Well,

The smaller wheel does not look like it belongs to an M4 Sherman (unless it is an experimental suspension testbed?). Checking the parts catalog for both the VVSS and HVSS did not show any wheel in that size.

TM9-759Fig170.jpg

The support rollers on the VVSS are described as steel.

TM9-759Fig1567.jpg

Both the single and dual support rollers on the HVSS are listed as rubber tired.

So, the small wheel is a mystery...

Regards,

jenny croft wrote:
Well I am not a Sherman expert but could it be an idler Wheel ? :unsure:

Jenny :kiss:

Well. Uummmm :blush: :unsure: ;) NO :eek:hmy:

The idlers are the same story as the return rollers. They were all solid steel until the E-8 suspension, where both return rollers and idlers had a rubber rim. But this little wheel (I believe) is not from an M-4.

Gary B)

Back