• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

WWII Footage of interest to M4 fans

BradJ

Hey there

http://www.youtube.com/user/CombatReelsCom#p/u/30/f6xBmbUZQz0

Of interest is the mounted .30cal, (not .50cal) and the how-to of the BOG entering his position through the small front hatches...
Brad

thanks for sharing this with us brad!

i moved this thread from "models we make" -> "tanks" to "hot gossip" since the wip forum is the wrong category and the trusty&rusty section is for articles!

:)

Hiya Brad,

Good footage .I noticed the 30cal mount is the earlier style 30 cal design

I had envisaged the later mount they use similar to the ones used on halftracks where the
angle can be adjusted by a locking pin .

And on a particular note he cocked the 30cal twice ?
My understanding that would have fed the first round through .

Cheers
Michael

Take a look at about 1:30 when the lower the gun to the camera angle. looks to be a crosshair of wire in the muzzle. What's up with that?

Very cool footage indeed.

moon puppy wrote:
Take a look at about 1:30 when the lower the gun to the camera angle. looks to be a crosshair of wire in the muzzle. What's up with that?

This is interesting, my only guess is that it was something use to boresight (Align the main gun with the optical sight) the gun. The footage was probably taken in a training environment or nowhere near the front where the crews had time to do such things.

dave

Thanks Brad.

Interesting---- A German Jerry can being used for refueling, along with a guy standing fire-watch with the fire extinguisher.

Hi Grumpy,

I'm not so sure that is a German fuel can,(of course it may be) but early US and British cans were pretty much identical copies.

IIRC, they were designed after a captured example of a German can because they were found to be superior to what the Allies were using up until that point, that is how they actually got the name 'Gerry-can'.

fuel-cans_20091230_1579589689.png

You know , I was just thinking of a funny diorama idea , to recreate the scene but have the tanker pouring the contents of a captured Jerry Can into the fuel tank , except it has the big white cross :woohoo: , yeah its water :woohoo: . The diorama would be called simply "DOH !!!!!"

Jenny :kiss:

Or drinking gas from a water can... some joe filled with gas not knowing what the white cross is.

moon puppy wrote:
Or drinking gas from a water can... some joe filled with gas not knowing what the white cross is.

That actually happened on one of the pacific islands , the US Marines filled their drinking water from a supply that was tainted before the invasion and almost all the marines were sick before the blunder was found out and an alternate supply was found .

I forget which island ( D'Man would know ) but it almost cost them victory .

jenny croft wrote:
You know , I was just thinking of a funny diorama idea , to recreate the scene but have the tanker pouring the contents of a captured Jerry Can into the fuel tank , except it has the big white cross :woohoo: , yeah its water :woohoo: . The diorama would be called simply "DOH !!!!!"

If you made sure he was a Yank, you could call it "The DOHHH Boy"

Gary :duh

jenny croft wrote:

:laugh: priceless! geniusamatic idea jenny! and the dude should be fat and with two hairs across the bald head!

jenny croft wrote:
moon puppy wrote:

That actually happened on one of the pacific islands , the US Marines filled their drinking water from a supply that was tainted before the invasion and almost all the marines were sick before the blunder was found out and an alternate supply was found .

I forget which island ( D'Man would know ) but it almost cost them victory .

what a nasty idea to stop the enemy but i bet they hadn't barney with them - he wouldn't have minded at all! :silly:

Back