• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

3D printing.

bob letterman

Master at Arms
Staff member
On a recent trip to Kansas City, I met up with Mr.T, Terry, who has been a good friend for years now. He presented me with a teeny, tiny Sherman tank. He has a 3D printer, (wouldn't we all love to have one of those)! He feeds 3 dimensional drawings into the machine, tells it what scale and it creates this out of a single block of a resin like substance. The detail is amazing. Shown here next to an American 25 cent coin, (Quarter), you can get an idea of the size.

I just thought some of you would like to see this.

LilSherm2.jpg

Lilsherm3.jpg

LilSherm1.jpg

Amazing!!

Bob

I've never seen one in person doing it's thing, but they seem to be getting better and better as time goes by. But what I am curious about is, would that little Sherman be just one piece, or is it assembled from 4 or 5 pieces?

Gary B)

Our R&D guys have two now. I haven't pulled any strings yet to get them to make me anything, I'm just saving up. It is pretty amazing to watch as the print heads (and in essence that's what it is, an inkjet printer) prints out layer on top of layer.

The type we have builds the parts up with a waxy support material that has to be washed away. I understand that now they have some that does not require the support material to be laid down.

Gary, it depends on the complexity of the part and if the engineer took the time to draw out parts or just the single piece. I suppose it depends on what they are making.

I understand that next calender year we get a 3d scanner that hooks directly to the printer. Star Trek, Baby! It's the replicator!

G Cooper wrote:
I've never seen one in person doing it's thing, but they seem to be getting better and better as time goes by. But what I am curious about is, would that little Sherman be just one piece, or is it assembled from 4 or 5 pieces?

Gary B)

Gary,

This is a one piece thing. When it comes out, Terry tells me that it is covered with a wax material that has to be cleaned off, but, no assembly whatsoever!

Bob

Yeah, and a working engine!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Bob

Bob,
I expect the next thing is it will come out painted :woohoo: Can you enter it in scratchbuilt :S
Great thanks for posting.
Cheers,
John

Well, that's all nice and stuff.
But until it can make a cheeseburger, I aint all that impressed :pp

Gary B)

Do you want one beef patty or two :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Terry B)

thanks for posting

so must add to the wish list 3d printer, laser cutter , an the other funny thing that cuts only with water dind´t now the english word.....

greets mirko (y)

I'll wait till they are on Clearance Sale as the first ones are not going to be cheap. Remember the first pocket calculators? Maybe I best wait till they give them away with new bank accounts.

Back